Sponsored

Need Help with handling issue with new tires...

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Personally I don't care if people run truck tires on their car, I just get annoyed when people get all uppity about summer tires. They are better in the summer, same as winter tires are in the snow. But much like having 435hp, not everyone is going to push those limits on the street. If they were really that bad on this car, Ford probably wouldn't have put all seasons on the non pp cars.
I personally don't care about others unless they crash into me, but this car is just so much more fun to drive on S-04s PP and RE-71Rs (rarely driven on street but still) than any all seasons.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I personally don't care about others unless they crash into me, but this car is just so much more fun to drive on S-04s PP and RE-71Rs (rarely driven on street but still) than any all seasons.
You should care about others, who knows maybe one of those others may save your life 1 day.

But then again maybe they wont...lol!!!!

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
My pzeros have not really let me down yet. Is it the wet or snow or something?..They grip very well still with 5,200 mi. Now if I can only find a sweet deal on another set .
Soon enough Im going to have to change mine for once winter hits NY. I wont be screwing around with summer tires in the snow. I can keep you in mind as i plan on gettign rid of the pirrellis.

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
Continental DWS is about the best all season that exists. It seriously is very very good even in snow. Having said that, it is still all season (why would somebody put all season on a perfomance car boggles my mind but that's a different issue) - it is a softer compound than P-Zero, different tread pattern, different side wall stiffness. Distorts car dynamics IMO.

Ditch the all seasons, buy winter tires for winter.
I will tell you exactly why I want All season tires....
I live in Michigan. and even though I do not drive my Mustang in the winter, I do drive it once the snow is gone but is 40 degrees out. Summer only tires only grip properly in warm weather. That is probably 3 months out of the year when it is that warm for the tires to grip. All the other months I am spinning the tires every time I take off from a stop. Which kills the summer only tires. I dont want to be replacing tires every 12K miles.

Now and update to my issue...

I got the Conti's pulled off and the Michelin A/S 3 installed yesterday.
I can report after 50 miles on the car the car handles just like it did before I put on the Conti's. It is not pulling to the right on acceleration. If it is it is not noticeable as it was with the Cont's. From all the other threads I have read, I'm still going the Clock the Bushings just to make sure the previous P-Zeros and the new Michelin's are not masking an issue with the bushings.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I live in Michigan. and even though I do not drive my Mustang in the winter, I do drive it once the snow is gone but is 40 degrees out. Summer only tires only grip properly in warm weather. That is probably 3 months out of the year when it is that warm for the tires to grip. All the other months I am spinning the tires every time I take off from a stop. Which kills the summer only tires. I dont want to be replacing tires every 12K miles.
You do realize that on the street you don't ever have to take off from a stop quite that hard . . . it's just a matter of making the little drag racer demon in you start his winter hibernation a little sooner and stretch it out a little longer. Hold onto this thought even for your new all-seasons.

Good throttle modulation and a "feel" for how much tire grip exists are skills well worth acquiring. No matter what car you're driving or what the conditions of the moment might be.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
You do realize that on the street you don't ever have to take off from a stop quite that hard . . . it's just a matter of making the little drag racer demon in you start his winter hibernation a little sooner and stretch it out a little longer. Hold onto this thought even for your new all-seasons.

Good throttle modulation and a "feel" for how much tire grip exists are skills well worth acquiring. No matter what car you're driving or what the conditions of the moment might be.

Norm
Thanks for the driving lesson Norm.
You dont know how I drive or how I take off. but thanks for knowing more than the rest of us.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I am spinning the tires every time I take off from a stop.
Don't attack Norm. You're the one who said it. I haven't heard of anyone else who is unable to leave from a stop, in first gear without spinning the tires.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Now and update to my issue...

I got the Conti's pulled off and the Michelin A/S 3 installed yesterday.
I can report after 50 miles on the car the car handles just like it did before I put on the Conti's. It is not pulling to the right on acceleration. If it is it is not noticeable as it was with the Cont's. From all the other threads I have read, I'm still going the Clock the Bushings just to make sure the previous P-Zeros and the new Michelin's are not masking an issue with the bushings.
Glad to hear this. Really.

Thanks for the driving lesson Norm.
You dont know how I drive or how I take off. but thanks for knowing more than the rest of us.
You told me all I needed to know about that one aspect of your driving ↓↓↓ . . . understand that I've got about 50 years driving experience to call on for cases like this, and enough cold weather road driving and 40° road course track driving to be able to say that taking off from a stop in the cold shouldn't be nearly as difficult as you seem to have found it.

I live in Michigan. and even though I do not drive my Mustang in the winter, I do drive it once the snow is gone but is 40 degrees out. Summer only tires only grip properly in warm weather. That is probably 3 months out of the year when it is that warm for the tires to grip. All the other months I am spinning the tires every time I take off from a stop.

Norm

OP
OP

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
What I was saying was in cold weather if I tried pulling away from a stop at a NORMAL speed just as the Ford Focus next to me, my car spins it's tires while the other car gets traction. That I wrote previously did not state I was trying to pull faster than what would be normal acceleration.
Bottom line is I live in Michigan where it is truly only warm enough for Summer Tires maybe 3 months out of the year. I drive the car 8-9 months out of the year. Summer only tires really are not ideal.
I also want to point out I started this topic about the car pulling to the right because of the Tires. NOT to get everyone's 2 CENTS on how I should drive compared to "THEIR" opinions. I dont care how old you are and how long you been driving. If you want to be an overly conservative drive thats your prerogative. I wont tell you to speed up because the guy behind you wants to do the speed limit.
Too many people get off topic from what Threads are originally started. Your comments had NOTHING to to with helping with the Thread topic.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hey, I didn't open up the subject of driving on summer tires in cold weather. YOU did, with descriptions of the difficulty that YOU'VE had in dealing with it. If you didn't want to risk having that topic explored, maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it at all. But now that the genie is out of the bottle . . .

In reduced traction circumstances, most any FWD car has a "launch" advantage over most all front engine RWD cars (I'm not going to go into the physics). Normally this might happen in the rain or the snow (and most people understand this much), but it also includes the summer-tires-in-cold-weather case you apparently kept finding yourself in. To expect "normal acceleration" is to be kidding yourself. It's OK to be surprised by this the first time (I was). But not afterward.

I'd really prefer it if you'd try to learn a thing or two here, than hear later that a head in the sand attitude toward experience not your own has ended up badly. All-season tires have their limits, too.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
Whoa Norm, ease up on the common sense will ya? Don't you know it's all the tires fault?

Run what you want but please stop blaming the tires. I run my summers up to 8 months a year and I never spin em if I don't want to. Just need to let the tires warm up on those coolers days.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
The DWS is on the soft side when I had it on the BMW.
I hated them on my Scion tC... Smooth ride, but felt greasy, not at all confidence-inspiring because of the soft side walls (single layer of cords, as I recall). They got good reviews on Tire Rack, which is why I bought them, but I wasn't sad when they wore out.

I preferred the BFGoodrich G-Force all-seasons I replaced them with for grip. :D
Sponsored