Sponsored

New to the Forum - Need help with tires please

fcarpio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hi all,
mumbles recommended this forum so I am here, thank you mumbles.

So I recently purchased a 2016 GT with the Performance Package. At the time of purchase I ordered the Ford Racing/Roush supercharger and got it installed shortly after. Then I got a more aggressive tuning from a local tuner and now I am running 640hp to the wheels. MY PROBLEM is that I am still on the factory Pirelli PZero tires that came with the car. While these tires were fine during the short time I had the car with no mods, they are now grossly inadequate for the power I have, rendering my 1st and 2nd gears useless.

What I am looking for is a set of rear tires that are sticky and the will fit the factory wheels. My current rear tires are 275 40 19 and I am having an awful time finding a suitable replacement.

Does anyone know of a set of sticky tires THAT WILL FIT this wheel?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
GT performance pack here as well running Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Run those on all 4 and never look back!

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Dang, took you long enough :D

A lot of folks here run Michelins, but I'm sure many others will chime in.

Hi all,

So I recently purchased a 2016 GT with the Performance Package. At the time of purchase I ordered the Ford Racing/Roush supercharger and got it installed shortly after. Then I got a more aggressive tuning from a local tuner and now I am running 640hp to the wheels. MY PROBLEM is that I am still on the factory Pirelli PZero tires that came with the car. While these tires were fine during the short time I had the car with no mods, they are now grossly inadequate for the power I have, rendering my 1st and 2nd gears useless.

What I am looking for is a set of rear tires that are sticky and the will fit the factory wheels. My current rear tires are 275 40 19 and I am having an awful time finding a suitable replacement.

Thanks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Having to fit the factory 9.5" wide wheels is going to limit you to 285/xx tires. Especially in Florida where you'd really not want to be adding extra sidewall heat from the greater flexing that would happen if you put wider tires on them (ignoring the T&RA min width wheel for the tire size thing at your own risk).

What you need to look at depends on how you're going to use the car, which is unknown at this point. Strictly straightline stuff gets different suggestions than if cornering also has importance.

640 at the wheels is going to be problematic in at least the first couple of gears with anything short of drag radials on a prepped dragstrip. The 3.73's aren't helping you here at all.

Norm

Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Where is the best place to get the Michelin Super Sports from?

I want to get these as well.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I went through discount tire. They got me a decent deal. And gave me a 4 tire rebate even with the 2 and 2 setup.

Bill Black

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hi all,

Thanks.
good question, I'm gonna be in the same boat come spring if I pull the trigger on the roush sc. Drag Radials (on a wider wheel ideally) either Nittos or MTs seem like the only way to put that kind of power down. I don't know this from experience though.

Anybody out there with the roush or whipple come up with a good tire/wheel combination to put this kind of power down? and is it even possible with summer tires?

Sponsored

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
+1 on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... the GT350R has them for a reason.
(Currently running Michelin Pilot Alpin 4's for winter)

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
350 runs super sports 350R runs sport cup 2. But either way Michelin for both.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
so far it looks like costco has the best deal on these tires, incuding their $70 rebate. I'm going to get mine in a couple weeks, I hate these pirellis with a passion!

Lord Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT Mustang
350 runs super sports 350R runs sport cup 2. But either way Michelin for both.
I thought both were running them, silly me. :headbonk: Both are great. The Sport Cups have been more optimized for (dry) track use though.

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
^agreed.

OP if you are going FI I would recommend getting new widea wheels. The super sports are great but 275 is a big limit on what you can put down even with the best rubber. I'm going to a 285/305 setup with 19x10 and 19x11 wheels when these tires need replaced.
Sponsored