Sponsored

Need Help with handling issue with new tires...

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
(why would somebody put all season on a perfomance car boggles my mind but that's a different issue)
Not everyone tracks their car or wants to buy new tires every 15k miles. If you're pushing your tires that hard on the street, you're asking for trouble.

:paddle:

There's a few really good all season performance tires that are great for 95% of the drivers out there.
Sponsored

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
If you're pushing your tires that hard on the street, you're asking for trouble.
If you're using all 435hp you're asking for trouble on the street. If you do it with all season tires, you're asking for even more trouble. See how that logic has a little hole in it?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not everyone tracks their car or wants to buy new tires every 15k miles. If you're pushing your tires that hard on the street, you're asking for trouble.

You do not have to drive very hard to notice whether a tire, a set of tires, or a pair of tires mis-matched to the other two doesn't feel quite right or just doesn't like to be driven around corners. But you do have to be aware of how differences in response feel, and apparently not everybody is, else the poorer-responding and vague feeling tires wouldn't make it to market.

This isn't a "track driving" vs "street driving" matter :paddle:

There's a few really good all season performance tires that are great for 95% of the drivers out there.
Evidently OP's DWS tires aren't among them, and it's neither the first time I've heard this nor the worst handling-oriented review I've read about Conti DW/DWS tires.

Norm

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
If you're using all 435hp you're asking for trouble on the street. If you do it with all season tires, you're asking for even more trouble. See how that logic has a little hole in it?
Only if you're a complete idiot or don't know how to drive. It's like the people who say the mustang is completely horrible in the rain, yet I've never had a single issue with it. If you arent competent enough to drive a 435hp car safely, don't buy one. And if you're using "all 435hp" on the street what you're doing is probably illegal AND stupid.

Norm, the dude mismatched his tires. That's just plain silly. Most people who complain about the dws tires had/have the non 06 version, probably because they're cheaper. I had them at one point and the sidewalls were sponges. The dws 06's are better in this regard. I wouldn't take them to the track, but they work just fine on the street.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

You don't have to push it that hard. Summer tires are far superior to all seasons in the rain - which is pure safety and nothing else.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Only if you're a complete idiot or don't know how to drive. It's like the people who say the mustang is completely horrible in the rain, yet I've never had a single issue with it. If you arent competent enough to drive a 435hp car safely, don't buy one. And if you're using "all 435hp" on the street what you're doing is probably illegal AND stupid.
I agree overall, however it is unrealistic to expect that everybody buying this 435 hp will be skilled driver, majority isn't. Look at the European forum where they wine about tires all the time and put the car in Wet/Snow mode each times it rains.

Norm, the dude mismatched his tires. That's just plain silly.
100% agree. I just generally don't agree with cost saving philosophy that people buying all seasons (especially on the PP that they so much like to brag about) have - no reason to buy inferior tire in dry/wet/warm to summer and in the cold/snow to winters other than cost. People spend 1000s of cosmetic crap or wheels and try to save on tires which is about the most important upgrade one can do - that assuming you bought the car to drive.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, the dude mismatched his tires. That's just plain silly. Most people who complain about the dws tires had/have the non 06 version, probably because they're cheaper. I had them at one point and the sidewalls were sponges. The dws 06's are better in this regard. I wouldn't take them to the track, but they work just fine on the street.
Whether fortunately or unfortunately, not all tire and tire/wheel mismatches are equally evil. I'd put OP's mismatch less than midway from unnoticeable by most drivers to scary for most of them. OP has no idea what scary might be like.

Norm

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I agree overall, however it is unrealistic to expect that everybody buying this 435 hp will be skilled driver, majority isn't. Look at the European forum where they wine about tires all the time and put the car in Wet/Snow mode each times it rains..
A rather unfair generalisation IMO......

rs7337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem & 1968 Mustang coupe
I'm in BIG trouble then... I have a Whipple stage 2 on all season pzero neros!!!

i'd put all 4 the same brand...

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
If you are running mismatched tires the ones with less grip should be in the front. You've put the tires with less grip in the back.

This is the same reason and decent shop will not let someone with a FWD car just replace the front tires and leave the old backs. When you start braking hard you do not want the back losing traction first, it will try to pass the front of the car and that is bad.
It is trvial...but I think the DSWs have more grip. I replaced my P=Zeros with the DSWs 3 months ago and the car has more grip coming out of the hole and tight turns.

I do notice them drifting a little on 110-10 braking. Think the softer side wall is to blame.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Evidently OP's DWS tires aren't among them, and it's neither the first time I've heard this nor the worst handling-oriented review I've read about Conti DW/DWS tires.

Norm
I have the DW Contis on mine and the sidewalls do feel soft until you get used to them. After first putting them on I remember feeling confident taking corners aggressively bc of the straight line grip but it felt almost like they were going to fold over or break the bead. Aftermarket sway bars helped this considerably but more importantly was proper driving. If you break early, hold your speed, then accelerate out of the turn instead of plowing the front of the car into the turn you'll have no concerns. I have no pushing or torque steer issues when accelerating as the OP is having.

I did have two tires blowout at the sidewall bc of potholes and they were replaced under road hazard warranty. Whether that was bc of a soft sidewall or just DC area potholes being specially sized to fit carry on luggage is a good question.

All that being said they are great tires IMO and I just ordered another set to reshoe my car. The wet traction seems oddly equal to the dry traction. I can down shift on the highway to pass or take off in first gear in pouring rain and they won't slip. They lasted 2 years and about 35k miles if anyone was curious.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I'm in BIG trouble then... I have a Whipple stage 2 on all season pzero neros!!!

i'd put all 4 the same brand...
I was definitely being sarcastic with my comment.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Personally I don't care if people run truck tires on their car, I just get annoyed when people get all uppity about summer tires. They are better in the summer, same as winter tires are in the snow. But much like having 435hp, not everyone is going to push those limits on the street. If they were really that bad on this car, Ford probably wouldn't have put all seasons on the non pp cars.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The P-Zero may not be all that great in other categories, but it has better steering response than Conti's DW, and by extension better than the DWS. This difference in response is what's biting people, with overall response being either significantly better (or worse) after a 4-tire change depending on which way the swap went, or kind of sketchy after a 2-tire replacement.

Norm
Sponsored