Sponsored

Need help with adding octane to my fuel.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
I ran water methanol injection as my source of octane for two years before e85 became available to me. To prevent a failure from ever becoming a possibility I ran 2 pumps. This way if one ever did fail I would not have any problems. I started with a single nozzle and eventually went direct port. Direct port water meth is the best way but I never had any problems with a nozzle setup. I would run water meth with 2 nozzles and 2 pumps if I was you
Is this difficult to setup 2 pumps? Did you basically buy 2 kits?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Lund does an e54r tune NA at least one of the other local Phx guys run that but not for boost that I'm aware of. Liability I'm sure. There's very few high quality e options in the area and only one in proximity to my area that tests e85-90 regularly. Regardless, there are definitely regional based obstacles for fueling like what OP is encountering. It's going to end up being some blending / additives / ordering in addition to local pump.
So given my situation what is my best bet to go with?

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
btw when a tuner like Lund says its an e85 tune its normally safe to like e70 or so there is always going to be wiggle room because unless you test every time you don't really know the E percentage. also I don't know why Lund doesn't but here in AZ e54 is more common so most people out here are tuned for that I think I saw on PBD website they will tune e54
Wish that was for boosted people.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I really dont wanna lower my goal, its been like that for ages lol. I plan to daily on a 93 tune and only turn it up when I want to. Can't I use boostane to match the octane of e85 which is 107-109?
If you have pump E85 make the choice easy and use that. Just make sure you shake test before you purchase. I bought a 55 gallon drum and a hand pump. As soon as the E85 tested good in the spring I’d fill up the barrel. I was Lund tuned also. Made 800whp on a centri. The boostane will work but you’ll likely use 16 ounces at the minimum every fill up.

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
If you have pump E85 make the choice easy and use that. Just make sure you shake test before you purchase. I bought a 55 gallon drum and a hand pump. As soon as the E85 tested good in the spring I’d fill up the barrel. I was Lund tuned also. Made 800whp on a centri. The boostane will work but you’ll likely use 16 ounces at the minimum every fill up.
Was it a hassle to drain the tank of pump gas whenever you wanted pure e85 in the tank? Like I said, I plan for this to be my daily. I am going to import barrels of e85

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Where in Canada are you?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok. Me too. Where in Ontario are you??

There's quite A few shops around that sell e85 by the barrel. Shop around though! There’s a few that just want to send their kids through university with the mark ups. It’s not going to be cheap to run it as a daily!

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Ok. Me too. Where in Ontario are you??

There's quite A few shops around that sell e85 by the barrel. Shop around though! There’s a few that just want to send their kids through university with the mark ups. It’s not going to be cheap to run it as a daily!
Im not planning on dailying on e85. I plan to have a 93/94 map for dd and then a high boost map which makes 800whp on whatever fuel I end up going with. Im in the GTA

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Ok. Well try N54tuning. Free delivery for e85 barrels around the GTA. BMW shop but decent guys. 30 gallon drum delivered for $205 + tax delivered. Canadian funds. Really not a bad deal. Especially if you consider the cost of 94 octane right now. But, you’ll burn a ton more of e than 94. Have to have the right set up at home to make it work. IE - a wife that doesn’t mind having a barrel full of highly flammable e85 sitting in the garage. May want to check into house insurance coverage as well...

I’m just down the road from you. Just north of Guelph.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!
Ok. Well try N54tuning. Free delivery for e85 barrels around the GTA. BMW shop but decent guys. 30 gallon drum delivered for $205 + tax delivered. Canadian funds. Really not a bad deal. Especially if you consider the cost of 94 octane right now. But, you’ll burn a ton more of e than 94. Have to have the right set up at home to make it work. IE - a wife that doesn’t mind having a barrel full of highly flammable e85 sitting in the garage. May want to check into house insurance coverage as well...

I’m just down the road from you. Just north of Guelph.
Yeah that was actually the place I was looking at, I do not really have an issue with keeping the e85 stored here. Its just I have to fully empty my tank of pump gas before I put the e85 in as it has to be pure e85 according to lund. Its also only one tanks worth of e85 but I could just get another barrel.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yeah that was actually the place I was looking at, I do not really have an issue with keeping the e85 stored here. Its just I have to fully empty my tank of pump gas before I put the e85 in as it has to be pure e85 according to lund. Its also only one tanks worth of e85 but I could just get another barrel.
You can get a tank drain kit to make it easy. Or probably piece something similar together yourself:

https://www.jpcracing.com/jpc-2011-up-mustang-gt-fuel-drain-kit/

OP
OP

Randomizer23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special!

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Maybe some of the pros that do this often can chime in on changing out fuels. There is a kit I believe that hooks up to the fuel line - Driver’s side connection before the fuel rails that allows for emptying the tank. I’ve never had the pleasure of doing it, but it can be done. If you have the shop space / garage to be able to make it work that’s good. Yea, likely need a couple barrels at least to swap it out. No one said it would be easy... or fun...
look up Gen7 fuel in Roseneath. They advertise pump e85. I know nothing about it but it looks to be 1.5 hours from Pearson Airport so depending where you are it may be closer. Take your own barrels and fill up. Give them a call and see what their price is...

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Interesting... This could work, I would have to source a barrel to put the pump gas but this can work. How exactly do these drain kits work?
I believe it just diverts the fuel so you can drain it into a container. I know Lund can provide a tune that just runs the fuel pump steady with the key on for this exact purpose.
Sponsored