Sponsored

Need help diagnosing a problem observed on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So this last weekend while on track, I experienced an odd intermittent power reduction that I can’t explain, and I’m hoping someone will be able to chime in and give me some insight.

Ambient temps this weekend ranged from 75 degrees, up to 93 degrees on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a normal track day, no issues whatsoever.

I have a ‘19 350, and typically run stock cup 2’s (which I did on Saturday all day.) For Sunday I switched over to a set of 305/30 cup 2’s, and holy hell the grip was noticeably better. For the first time at my home track, I was now having to contend with hitting the rev limiter at the end of two different straights. Partially because my exit speeds were higher coming out of turns, and partially because of the reduction in tire height.

Let me explain the power reduction first. There were no check engine lights or outward indicators of any kind. I’d go from full power and torque, down to having good power and torque at 5,000rpms and below only. Above 5,000 rpms was non existent. 30 seconds after onset of the power reduction, id get full power and torque back. This was very consistent. It seems like the majority of the time, it occurred in the last half of the session (so maybe heat related?)

All of my sessions I had plenty of gas, and I’ve experienced power reduction due to a low tank and sloshing, so I’m eliminating that as a possibility.

During the first session, I only experienced the issue once. It happened after turn 1, which is the highest speed turn on the track after the highest speed straight where I could now just hit the rev limiter a half second before the braking zone. I noticed I didn’t have full power exiting turn one, going from maintenance throttle to full throttle. 3 seconds prior in the braking zone prior to turn 1, the engine had no problem blipping up to 7-8k rpms as I downshifted.

Second session started out normal, but then I was having the power reduction every other lap on average. Sometimes twice a lap. During the session, I thought maybe hitting the curbing during apex or exit curbing, and that was causing the issue. But, then I noticed it was happening even if I didn’t touch the curbing at all.

After the second session I hypothesized that maybe I was hitting the rev limiter, and that was sending the car into a pseudo limp mode until it made sure the car wasn’t in danger, then gave me full power back. I’ve been in limp mode in the 350, and this is something different.

For the third session I adjusted my shift light slightly lower, and took care not to hit the rev limiter a single time. That session, I maybe experienced the issue twice (totally manageable but inconvenient.)

Forth session was horrible, I had the power reduction happen a 15-20 times. I actually got good at noticing the reduction and would immediately upshift to stay under my 5k rpm cap.

Fifth session, more of the same, maybe slightly better.

Sixth session, I switched back to the 35 series tires and ran with the heat on for the whole session. I was sweating like a pig before turning the heat on…. It was miserable but the car was acting normal again.

On the drive home I got a P0013 code and the car started running like crap. This is my third run-in with VCT stuff. The first time was the dreaded pigtail/wiring harness failure (thanks for your help diagnosing that one Kevin, the second time the brackets broke loose from both intake vct solenoids which caused the system to freak out and go into limp mode until clearing the code (pic attached), and now I’m waiting on my dealership appointment to find out the current cause.

I checked for codes after every session, including the advanced diagnostic codes on the pcm. I had P0219 (engine over speed), but after clearing the code and staying away from the rev limiter the rest of the day, this one never came back.

I left the track as I usually leave the track… happy, but with multiple codes to fix before the next event. Ohh yeah, on Sunday the starter also broke, the tpms system became inop, and I intermittently have a red brake annunciation. Fun stuff.

So…. After reading this novel, does anyone have any thoughts? @honeybadger , I totally see why you went with the VCT lockouts now. My friend Florian who runs lockouts on his modified Boss 302s says hello by the way.

Thanks everyone.

7B2BC608-B6B9-4AE2-AFAC-25DDCC33F008.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I think you were trying to not to let me pass you. Just thinking out loud. Seriously I didn’t know you had all that going on. Was any of that happening on Saturday morning when I was out with you?

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I think you were trying to not let me pass you and you. Just thinking out loud. Seriously I didn’t know you had all that going on. Was any of that happening on Saturday morning when I was out with you?
Pfft, whatever…. Let’s compare lap times, shall we :)

Nope, Sunday only. With you and I both having starter issues on Sunday, I think it just didn’t come up. Now you know why in the 4’th and 5’th session every time I was going to pass you, I’d drop back 200 feet…. Then start chasing you again, rinse and repeat. Shocking I didn’t lose as much time as I anticipated by driving a gear higher until I got full power back.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I think you were trying to not to let me pass you. Just thinking out loud. Seriously I didn’t know you had all that going on. Was any of that happening on Saturday morning when I was out with you?
Ohh, then the GT3 backing into your R at the end of the day kind of shifted the conversation until we left for the day.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
could be the charging system. I've needed a new alternator already.

tpms is an ongoing issue for me, I kinda suspect it's heat induced at this point, but not certain.

no stability/nanny indicator when it's pulling power?

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Pfft, whatever…. Let’s compare lap times, shall we :)

Nope, Sunday only. With you and I both having starter issues on Sunday, I think it just didn’t come up. Now you know why every time I was going to pass you, I’d drop back 200 feet…. Then start chasing you again, rinse and repeat. Shocking I didn’t lose as much time as I anticipated by driving a gear higher until I got full power back.
Shit, I’m comparing them, my 1:16 vs your 1:15. Come on 1 second difference on YOUR home track. Hmmmm see you at Mid-Ohio buddy, unless.....you can’t handle the truth! On a serious note, I will have a new starter installed this week and hit Pitt Intl track on July 3rd, it’s usually 85+ so it will be a good test. The main difference is 2.8 miles vs 1.78 miles so it won’t be so hard on the car since there are some long straights to cool the car during laps.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Ohh, then the GT3 backing into your R at the end of the day kind of shifted the conversation until we left for the day.
Not sure where that came from.....or why

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
could be the charging system. I've needed a new alternator already.

tpms is an ongoing issue for me, I kinda suspect it's heat induced at this point, but not certain.

no stability/nanny indicator when it's pulling power?
Zero indications whatsoever of electrical issues and I never received any stability control or advanctrac annunciations.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
I would immediately say take it to the dealer and report the codes, but you’ve already taken it apart 😂. So I would suggest that you put it back together and then do those steps.

If you have codes popping up, you need to get that car checked out. That’s not a driving issue—that’s a real issue with the car.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Not sure where that came from.....or why
You saying you didn’t know I was having this issue all day. Sorry, didn’t mean to rub salt in that wound, just meant that’s probably a reason we never talked about it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I would immediately say take it to the dealer and report the codes, but you’ve already taken it apart 😂. So I would suggest that you put it back together and then do those steps.

If you have codes popping up, you need to get that car checked out. That’s not a driving issue—that’s a real issue with the car.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The pic is from when the dealership was replacing the vct sensors/solenoids at my last visit.

This car is under warranty…. I’m not tearing it apart to diagnose, believe me.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Zero indications whatsoever of electrical issues and I never received any stability control or advanctrac annunciations.

Sorry to hear about your issues.
yeah, mine didn't really have any indication of charging issues either, voltage read "normal" and no codes relating to that, just things like cruise stopped working, wrench light saying hill assist was disabled, engine missing during WOT in 4th and 5th gears, culminating in it losing power intermittently on the way home from mid ohio just driving normally on the highway... always started as if plenty of power but something was off apparently.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
yeah, mine didn't really have any indication of charging issues either, voltage read "normal" and no codes relating to that, just things like cruise stopped working, wrench light saying hill assist was disabled, engine missing during WOT in 4th and 5th gears, culminating in it losing power intermittently on the way home from mid ohio just driving normally on the highway... always started as if plenty of power but something was off apparently.
Interesting.

It’s funny, every Ford I’ve ever owned, as the battery was going out, I’d get the intermittent hill assist/advance trac inop light first. I think that system is the most sensitive to varying voltage.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Shit, I’m comparing them, my 1:16 vs your 1:15. Come on 1 second difference on YOUR home track. Hmmmm see you at Mid-Ohio buddy, unless.....you can’t handle the truth! On a serious note, I will have a new starter installed this week and hit Pitt Intl track on July 3rd, it’s usually 85+ so it will be a good test. The main difference is 2.8 miles vs 1.78 miles so it won’t be so hard on the car since there are some long straights to cool the car during laps.
Reluctantly I’ll admit you’re pretty fast for an old guy ;)

In all seriousness, I saw how your times improved in the two days you were there. I can’t afford to run with you another day or two at putnam… you might actually beat my time! At least we can both take pride in knowing we’re faster than your buddy tom!

Looking forward to mid Ohio.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
You saying you didn’t know I was having this issue all day. Sorry, didn’t mean to rub salt in that wound, just meant that’s probably a reason we never talked about it.
[/QUOT
Reluctantly I’ll admit you’re pretty fast for an old guy ;)

In all seriousness, I saw how your times improved in the two days you were there. I can’t afford to run with you another day or two at putnam… you might actually beat my time! At least we can both take pride in knowing we’re faster than your buddy tom!

Looking forward to mid Ohio.
oh that’s funny, at least to us. You’d showed me a great line on Saturday and I ran with it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.