Sponsored

Need advice, front splitter fell off

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
I would show your dealer that thread, and threaten legal.

QUOTE]

To threaten legal, as you say, is a sure fire way to shut down any communications. It's better to go up the chain politely, and to document your conversations and efforts. To go "legal" is a last resort.
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
You talk about getting a lawyer, and that will be the end of the communication process.

I have to admit that after watching my front splitter installed it seems unlikely in for it just to fall off. If I was the service advisor I would be a little skeptical also. You have any pictures of how it looks?

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
I've found more than one GT350 sitting on dealer lots where the installer had not used all the fasteners (my own included) that came with the splitter. At least one where they had not used any of the front "45 degree" screws. This could very well lead to the splitter coming off at highway speeds. We've also seen several posts/threads on these forums about splitters coming off at speed. So it's very possible that this is the OP's circumstance.

You should definitely pursue a remedy from Ford, whatever it takes.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
As far as fixing it, should I have ford mess with the plastic tab and try and fix it without replacing the bumber?
Is it in any condition to be reinstalled? It flew off doing 70...

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
If your dealer continues offer no relief, (as would 90% of all dealers), I would contact Ford Performance or someone else further up to chain. It's already a well known fact that a huge percentage of splitters were installed wrong, or some fasteners were not installed.

Sponsored

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
I agree with Spacebird. OP said the dealership told him that he must have hit something. OP didn't dispute or refute. Spacebird simply commented that he thinks OP did, indeed, hit something. Spacebird, I guess us Texans have to stick together.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You talk about getting a lawyer, and that will be the end of the communication process.

I have to admit that after watching my front splitter installed it seems unlikely in for it just to fall off. If I was the service advisor I would be a little skeptical also. You have any pictures of how it looks?
Not to mention paying a lawyer $500/hr to write a letter asking to replace a $400 part seems a bit counter intuitive.

I would go up the chain with the dealership first, if no luck there then go to Ford Service.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
after you've exhausted all avenues of working with the dealer, if you still can't get the resolution you seek, simply write them the message saying:

"I am writing to resolve the following issue with my purchase: type issue here

Please consider this my final attempt at resolving amicably. If I you are unwilling to resolve the issue, I am prepared to take the following actions:

1. write a review on Yelp, Facebook, and all available social media channels so prospective customers can be aware of your experience
2. write a formal written complaint to Ford Motor Company regarding your experience at the dealer - citing this being a common issue on the model
3. file a formal complaint with the State Attorney General's office at this website: (https://texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/file-a-consumer-complaint)
4. file a complaint with the BBB (if they are indeed a member)
5. file a complaint with the Federal Trade Comission here, there's a category under 'Other' fpr automotive issues: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1
6. file suit in small claims court for the amount of the repair

Thank you, I appreciate your response in this matter."

Once again this is after exhausting all attempts at resolving cordially with the dealer.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I said, "Sorry, I do think you probably hit something." That doesn't mean he knows he hit something and is intentionally lying about it. Thumps and bumps with road debris happen all the time in Texas.
"prob·a·bly" an adverb meaning, "almost certainly; as far as one knows or can tell"...

I interpreted what you said was, "Sorry, I do think you [almost certainly or as far as one know or can tell] hit something." From your perspective, you may have intended what you later wrote but some of us took it that you were calling him out, a liar. I also took your preemptive apology,"Sorry" to support how I interpreted what you originally posted. You have my public apology if I was off base, Spacebird.

In any case, I took OP's original post at face value. I think if thumps and bumps were severe enough to rip a splitter off, most of us on this forum would have disclosed this essential fact.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've killed some cones with mine while autocrossing and the front splitter was fine. I agree with the others posting that if the splitter is installed properly it is quite tough.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I can attest to the fact that improper installation can at least lead to the splitter becoming unseated. Mine was fine when I bought the car, now it's sitting low in the center with bumper tabs visible. I haven't hit a thing.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Sorry to hear this. I went to my dealer Tuesday about same issue. My dealer installed mine not only wrong but power drilled the screws in so tight that dimpled and deformed the front bumper from inside out. So now the splitter may be good? but the bumper is toast. The service manager of course tried to blame it on me as well. I again brought up the splitter install video that I sent them prior to splitter install. And again gave them a copy on a USB stick with the service manager tossing it in the trash and basically insulting me and telling me his guys know everything and more about the gt350. My reply was you are the same guy who told me that the gt350 took a standard filter and oil and what happened there. They had to keep my car for 2 days to do an oil change because of the so called "standard oil change". I am awaiting the fix and resolution from the GM. Just disgusted. Especially how this service manager treated me let alone incompetent and a know it all who has an IQ that you can count on 1/hand. I hope everything works out for all. Now a simple misinstall costs a new bumper.

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
My splitter came off at high speed because of incorrect installation. At first I got every alternate explanation "you must have hit something", etc. Once I calmly but confidently showed how the splitter attaches, and explained that basically it's impossible for that kind of failure to happen even if you were to ram it with a tree (without completely ripping the bumper cover apart) the dealer ordered the parts and took their time installing it to the letter. Check the mounting tabs for the "45 degree" screws on the bumper cover. Every one of those tabs better be broken off if you "hit something". If they are not broken, then the screws were not even installed and the dealer messed up. Just matter-of-fact explain it and if that doesn't work, get ford involved.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
About a week into owning my 2016 gt350, my front splitter fell off and dragged while I was on the highway. I've heard from a lot of people that ford installs these at the dealership, and many techs install them wrong. When I brought the car into the dealership they told me I had to of hit something, and that's why it fell off, and they can't cover it. What an insult. Ford has been absolutely terrible to me. You buy one of their nicest cars, and this is how they repay you? You'd think if you spent that much money on a car, it wouldn't fall apart when driving.

Low and behold, when we put the car up on the lift and took the front splitter off, one tab on my front fascia that holds the splitter to the bumber is broken, stripped, so the bolt won't bolt in. So my options are to let these horrible ford techs try and fix that plastic tab some how, or get a whole new bumber. They aren't covering damage, and I've caused a fit.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Hello Steezygt350,

My name is Deysha, with Ford Customer Service. Let’s get this looked into for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
Sponsored