Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
With the continued success of the CAM-C thread, I thought/hoped there might be equal enthusiasm for a NASA TT/ST thread on this forum to discuss events, builds, questions, techniques, etc.

I'll start:
2018 GT PP1 - just getting started in TT3. Car dyno'ed at 413 whp and I'm around 3901 lbs which is right at the limit for a +0 tire (3R or A7). Though I don't have the budget to run A7's (possibly the 3R's), I'll likely run Rival S 1.5's, drop some more weight, and gain some much needed practice.
Compared to the usual TT crowd, I would consider myself a novice driver (currently 5 seconds off TT3 pace) so for the time being, my goal is acquire as much knowledge and practice as I can with hopes to soon be competing for that 1st place $5 trophy.

As this car still gets driven on the street occasionally, I run a full interior from the B-pillar forward and AC. I would like to take anther 150 lbs out of the car so my interior might start disappearing.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Current weight reduction:
Jacking rails: +13.8
Mufflers: -18
SVE Wheels: -36
Engine Cover Removal: -3.4
Sound Tube Removal: -1.3
CB005: +5
Sway Bars: +1
Front Rotors: -2
Rear Rotors: -2
Catch Cans: +2
Misc Brake Cooling Parts: +3
Floors Mats: -2.6
Fire Extinguisher: +5
Rear Seats + Hardware: -60
Trunk Carpet Cover: -5
Tire Inflator: -5
Watson Roll Bar: +58
Curt Hitch Receiver: +36 (to pull a tire trailer, but might be able to fit 4 wheels in car with roll bar still)

Weighed at event: 3957 w/ driver and 1/4 tank gas

Sparco Seat/Harness/Hardware: -20
Passenger Seat Removal: -50
Windshield washer bottle: -9
Resonator: -10

New estimated weight: 3877

I personally want to keep the engine completely stock for reliability purposes, so at my stock 413 whp, I can go as low as 3601 lbs with a +1 tire OR 3750 lbs and add 20 whp. Either way, a lot of weight to lose......or just put some 3R's on and call it a day. I don't think my current skills would fully utilize 3R's though.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
good luck and keep us posted

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Get rid of them jacking rails! I Jack mine from the points along the pinch weld that are D shaped (there’s like 3 each side) and no issues, pinch welds still perfectly straight. They’re hardened.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Get rid of them jacking rails! I Jack mine from the points along the pinch weld that are D shaped (there’s like 3 each side) and no issues, pinch welds still perfectly straight. They’re hardened.
🤯

Are one of those points right in the center so you can jack the whole side at a time? And where you put the stands? I like the convenience of the jacking rails but they are nearly 15 lbs 🤔

Sponsored

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah one is pretty close to the center (forward of center so I suspect close to the CG of the car) and then you have both Jack cutouts in the pinch weld free for Jack stands.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah one is pretty close to the center (forward of center so I suspect close to the CG of the car) and then you have both Jack cutouts in the pinch weld free for Jack stands.
Great to know, thanks Scott!

......jacking rails for sale! lol

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
3877?

I think you're just getting started. You don't need wipers, the wiper motors, and/or the windshield wiper reservoir. They're doing wonders with Bluetooth earbuds / iPods, so might as well remove all those speakers and stereo.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
3877?

I think you're just getting started. You don't need wipers, the wiper motors, and/or the windshield wiper reservoir. They're doing wonders with Bluetooth earbuds / iPods, so might as well remove all those speakers and stereo.
You have a beautiful mind, Patrick.

How much you think the wipers and motors weigh?
Total speakers weight?
Lastly, if I was willing to gut the doors but wanted to keep the windows, window motors, locks, how much weight is there to actually lose?

I must be insane to do this to a purchased-new car...

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How much you think the wipers and motors weigh?
8 according to my bathroom scale.

No idea about the speakers, they were "stolen" from the Stripper under the previous owner.
Gutting is hard, most of the weight is the glass, and the arm/motor that lifts it. Not saying that the steel reinforcement isn't part of it too. Don't bother with that until you get a cage, because then you can just toss up some carbon or fiberglass door skin since you're safe with the cage.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
8 according to my bathroom scale.

No idea about the speakers, they were "stolen" from the Stripper under the previous owner.
Gutting is hard, most of the weight is the glass, and the arm/motor that lifts it. Not saying that the steel reinforcement isn't part of it too. Don't bother with that until you get a cage, because then you can just toss up some carbon or fiberglass door skin since you're safe with the cage.
Will do. I'll keep looking for simple weight loss. Looking through Vorshlag's thread as well. Wiper/motor is great as it never sees rain even for a street car.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I know you just put it on but figure out how to shove 4 wheels in the car and you can lose 50lbs. I’ve not figured this out yet but determined to do so.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know you just put it on but figure out how to shove 4 wheels in the car and you can lose 50lbs. I’ve not figured this out yet but determined to do so.
One in the trunk, two sideways across the back seat, one on the passenger seat.

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I also run mine in TT3. I so far have left the interior in mine due to still using it in SCCA TT as a M2 car, and with that it has to have full interior. NASA, at least over here in the southeast, has a faster group than the SCCA TT group. I will say that in this NASA-SE group the only way to be competitive is to max out the power to weight ratio allowed in the class, with the most tire, and aero you can get. My car is at 3887lbs, at 433HP and I can take it down to 3601 in TT3 as long as I stay with the 275 (200 TW) tires. I dont know how light you can get these cars, but I will likely put 305's on mine and see where that puts me on the Class form and go from there. I am about 3 seconds off the top pace for TT3 at my home track.

Can anyone chime in on if its better to shed weight or go wider and stickier on tire? I think if I stay TT3 and go to 305 (200tw) at my current weight I am fine, but if I go full sticky race tire I would have to add a little weight or tune a little power out.
Sponsored