Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I think It is your timing chain flapping around because it is loose. Just a educated guess though. So a chain guide or tensioner. I would reuse the stock gaskets. They are reusable and much better than any replacement. I have had all brands of replacement gaskets leak.
I would use boss tensioners, the ratchet style lock keeps tension on the chain even when there is no oil pressure like on start up. If you don’t use boss tensioners You should use a sealer of some kind between the block and tensioner. they all leak so this causes the chain to run without tension until oil can fill the tensioner and provide pressure again, this happens every time you start the car. (I would and I do use boss tensioners) next I would use gt350 timing chains, they are stronger and at only $70 for the pair it’s a no brainer. I recommend upgrading the secondary timing chains also since you are going to be there and they are a known weak link, Sai li has a set for $199. Then check the guides, the vct sprockets, and the oil pump. If you don’t have OPG’s/CS now is the time. You will have a bulletproof timing setup
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You will only need to pull the valve covers to verify if it is part of the time system. You might be able to look into the oil filling hole and see a loose chain. If you have a bore scope run it in there

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I should have some answers tomorrow. It would be today, but I’ll likely spend all day fixing a Toyota one of the guys in the shop fucked up. My thinking is in line with mr. Jackson’s. Timing chain or timing component related. I’ve been in there once to do the opg’s and I reused the gaskets at that time so for the second time around I ordered all new oe gaskets. I wish I had known about the boss tensioners prior to ordering oe gen3 tensioners, but oh well.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I should have some answers tomorrow. It would be today, but I’ll likely spend all day fixing a Toyota one of the guys in the shop fucked up. My thinking is in line with mr. Jackson’s. Timing chain or timing component related. I’ve been in there once to do the opg’s and I reused the gaskets at that time so for the second time around I ordered all new oe gaskets. I wish I had known about the boss tensioners prior to ordering oe gen3 tensioners, but oh well.
I would still order the boss tensioners and turn around and sell those oe ones. You should be able to get your money back or at least most of it but they’re absolutely worth taking a loss on. Do you plan to upgrade your chains? also MMR has a tensioner relocation bracket that fixes the timing on the Secondary timing chain

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Pretty sure this is the problem
4C355113-F37E-4BBB-B470-A4F761650987.jpeg

Sponsored

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
Interesting.. I think this should be an easy fix then? Just wonder what caused it.. Maybe back when the surging or tension issues were going on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on an aluminator, though I was a bit apprehensive only because of the manley rods having 3/8 bolts while some of the other rod manufacturers offer a 7/16 bolt. Aside from that I liked that the aluminator is a proven foundation up to about 8 or 9 hundred wheel.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
For those of us aspiring to learn more, what is that part? ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
For those of us aspiring to learn more, what is that part? ;)
It was one of the cam locks on the procharger stage 2 pulley. It broke off and was stuck between the balancer and the timing cover causing the noise. I was able to get the portion of broken bolt out of the procharger pulley with a ez out and I replaced all of the bolts.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on an aluminator, though I was a bit apprehensive only because of the manley rods having 3/8 bolts while some of the other rod manufacturers offer a 7/16 bolt. Aside from that I liked that the aluminator is a proven foundation up to about 8 or 9 hundred wheel.
Getting trigger happy?
I would Not worry about the 3/8 bolts. the stock ones are only 9 mm I believe and don’t seem to have any problems.
I personally run compstar rods but I haven’t seen too many issues with Manley.
I think 800 to 900 wheel horsepower is conservative on a aluminator. I would run that on a stock bottom end

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Just curious how you were still getting noise with the belts off

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Just curious how you were still getting noise with the belts off
Because the broken bolt&cam lock were wedged between the balancer and the timing cover. With the blower crank pulley removed I was able to get it out with a magnet

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Great detective work! :thumbsup:

For sure grade 8 or ARP hi tensile strength bolts.
Sponsored