My ticking ecobomb finally went boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
So I was driving down the highway, cruise control on 65 mph and then I give it some gas to merge to the right lane and I had my AP connected and I hear a loud whoosh and let go off the gas and the AP said I did 29.7 lbs of boost, I freak out and take the first exit I see and when I'm making a right turn I go into first, then second, BABYING the throttle to where I'm not even going into boost to where I can just pull over safely and then I hear a clunk and the engine turned off and the car's electronics were going crazy. First thing I do when the car cools is check the oil levels and they were fine.

Get the car towed to my buddie's shop and there's oil in cylinder #3, no cracks on the block and no smoke.

Take the car to the dealership stock and one of the technicians there calls Ford and tells them my engine has NO oil and no dipstick and it was user error that the crank locked up and engine went bye-bye. Mind you before the car left on the tow truck I checked oil levels with my buddy and had a fresh oil change from a little over 4 weeks ago and the levels were fine but somehow the dipstick went missing and so did all 6.5 qts of oil on the way to the dealership :shrug: No idea why they would do me dirty like that. When I contacted Ford Motor Company, the super nice asshole that dealt with my case didn't even bother to look into it and was rude right off the bat.

Long story short, Ford tech went out to check it out and that did nothing so the service was declined due to their "findings"

I'll take the loss, fix the vehicle, and trade it in for a Q50s. It's also fun to have my girlfriend telling me how stupid I was by trading my 2013 5.0 for a ticking time bomb.

Good luck to all of you and your ticking ecobombs and may the odd be ever in your favor.

:ford:
Sponsored

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Wtf? There's gotta be something you're not telling us.

OP
OP

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
I wish there was, I datalogged the incident and talked back and forth with Adam about this and there is nothing I'm hiding here. Random boost spike shot 35 PSI into cylinder 3.

I have no gain by hiding anything...

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Who was this tuned by?

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
FBO and Tune+ by Adam, right?

Does your car have a 2014 build date?

Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Random boost spike shot 35 PSI into cylinder 3.
How does this happen? You can't really blame the engine for failing...

OP
OP

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
Who was this tuned by?
Tune+

FBO and Tune+ by Adam, right?

Does your car have a 2014 build date?
I'm positive it's a 2014 build, it reached the dealership January 2015, bought it Feb 2015. I tried fighting it as much as I could but it's time to give up and cut my losses.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Wastegate failure?

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Agreed.

29.7 lbs of boost?

I can barely touch 24 briefly.

Yeah there no way you hit that if you downshifted, and no way even without a wastegate will the stock turbo hit that much boost at anything above 3k rpm.

65 mph if you have 3.31 gears in 6th is about 1900 rpm. Dead in the middle of the LSPI zone. I'm surprised you didn't snap a rod.

Regardless that doesn't excuse the treatment you got at the dealer.

Edit: I don't want to seem like I'm bashing you, When I screw something up I also try to paint myself in the best light.Please post your datalog and it will corroborate your story. I will be the first one to tell everyone I was wrong If you do and they show you weren't WOT in 6th at 2k RPM.

What were your oil, fuel?

Last edited:

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
And I have ppl tell me I'm crazy for trading last night

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I wonder why there was a random boost spike??????

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Nobody commenting on the mysterious loss of the oil dipstick? Where did it go? Not like those "fall out". Something is fishy...

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
Sorry this happened and that the warranty didn't pan out. Especially with the dipstick shadiness.

You probably don't want to get into it too much, but if you're willing I think we'd like to hear more about this random boost spike. Do you have any more information on that? Where you on the OEM actuator? Did you downshift before initiating the merge?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.