My 17' GT didn't have any oil......

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think I may have damaged this car and i'm not sure how it started. My mustang isn't my daily driver, I did the oil change with royal purple (oil and filter) and It was not leaking anywhere in the driveway. After taking the car out for a drive on Friday I got on the car up until about 3rd gear and started braking, then when I come to a stop the car stumbles and dies. I try to start it and it fires back up, but it seems like its stuttering and it dies again. I start it again and keep the rpms up to prevent the car from dying and make it back 3 block to the house. The car at this point has no lights, no check engine light, nothing. I go into the nGauge and check for codes and it comes up with the P0024 code. I start researching and found some info on Cam Phasers, low oil conditions, etc... So I start with the oil, I warm up the car for a few minutes, let it sit for a minute then pulled the dipstick. It had oil on it so I wiped it off and put it back in. I pulled it out and its dry, I figured I must not have stuck it in all the way so I put it back in and again it comes up dry. I head to the auto parts store and grab another 5 gallon container of royal purple and start filling the car which looks like it was about 4-5 quarts low. How is this possible without receiving a warning light? Low oil? I feel like something should have gone off. Ultimately I know its my fault for not checking it but I really didn't think it was loosing oil at all since its a fairly new car.

Now that the car has enough oil I started it back up and let it run for a few minutes, then I took it around the block. The car doesn't feel right, It feels like the power is there but its not as smooth. I also noticed there is a rattle when I accelerate, not a tick definitely a rattle. When I came back and put the clutch in to start braking the car died again. I start it up and its idling rough again, the p0024 code has not come back (maybe it takes time?) but the idle after the car is warmed up is about 450-500. I'm taking in to my mechanic not the dealership so he can take a look at it. From the sound of it I'm guessing he will have to be tearing the engine apart to replace parts right? I'm thinking I might as well upgrade the cams now if that's the case.

Once the car gets fixed I still need to address how the oil got that low in the first place.

P0024.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
This may be a dumb question, but I have to ask. How much oil did you put in it when you changed the oil?
It was 8 quarts, and I forgot to mention that this was done about 5 months ago. I mostly drive my primary car and my mustang I take for a drive on the weekends or to the store, things like that. So I haven't put a ton of mileage on it since the oil change which is a little concerning.

It might also be worth noting that the car has: 18 manifold, jlt intake, 49lb injectors, E85 tune, steeda H pipe, "aero" axleback(was on the car when I bought it). I have the long tubes for it in the garage but have not yet been installed. There are other mods too but those are just the engine mods.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Do you notice any smoking coming from the tailpipe? Have you checked around the old filter or drain plug for any signs of leaking? Check your coolant. Have you done an old change?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
How often do you check your oil? I check mine pretty regularly because anything can happen.

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
It was 8 quarts, and I forgot to mention that this was done about 5 months ago...
Even with 5 months of heavy weekend driving and no puddles, that's a lot of oil that "disappeared"...
Did you pour it in yourself?
If it was truly filled and then that low, I would have thought you would have noticeable oil on the engine, drips everywhere you stop, blowing enough smoke to have the EPA after you, or other really nasty engine operation issues. If you have a plugged oil line etc. (not circulating properly) you may have just massively overfilled. If you were blowing out the tail, your cats may be toasted too.
Sorry, brother, but I think you may have a teardown in your immediate future.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thought the car was 10qts. 2 thoughts if it leaked it would be hard to miss 8qts on the ground. If it was leaking that bad running the underbody will sure a hell have evidence to be seen.

Are you SURE you put oil in it ? Not the first time something like that has not happened.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Thought the car was 10qts. 2 thoughts if it leaked it would be hard to miss 8qts on the ground. If it was leaking that bad running the underbody will sure a hell have evidence to be seen.

Are you SURE you put oil in it ? Not the first time something like that has not happened.
Gen 2 engines only require 8 quarts, the 10 quarts was for the Gen 3

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Retrace your route, that much oil would have left a trail on the road if the leak was bad enough. And rain won't wash it from the roadway, if that's where it was dumped.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Iā€™m not seeing it (yet), but did you check under the car yet for oil saturation ANYWHERE??

Thereā€™s no way in hell that you would loose nearly 6 qts of oil to get nothing on the dip AND not see any smoke out the tail end OR the lack of oil anywhere under the car - and when I mean under it, look under it up at the floor pans, trans tunnel, front k-member etc...

Something isnā€™t adding up.

vdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6mt
My original engine in my '17 at it's worst was burning 1 QT per 750 miles and I could distinctly hear the piston slap get progressively louder the more miles I put on my car.

A boroscope showed scoring in cylinder 8. A piston ring failed(tech could not tell me why) and I had the short block replaced at 16k miles. You might have something similar but I hope that's not the case.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I head to the auto parts store and grab another 5 gallon container of royal purple and start filling the car which looks like it was about 4-5 quarts low. How is this possible without receiving a warning light? Low oil? I feel like something should have gone off. Ultimately I know its my fault for not checking it but I really didn't think it was loosing oil at all since its a fairly new car.
There is no sensor for low oil in this cars as there is no sensor for worn out brake pads. You need to regularly monitor your oil level with your dipstick your manual says every other gas station visit you need to check oil. Mine was burning oil like 1 QT every 5000 km. I installed catch can didn't helped was better but not by much. What solved my oil burning was ECU flash with newer version of the ECU software.

Sorry about your engine. Keep us posted on what broke.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not seeing it (yet), but did you check under the car yet for oil saturation ANYWHERE??

Thereā€™s no way in hell that you would loose nearly 6 qts of oil to get nothing on the dip AND not see any smoke out the tail end OR the lack of oil anywhere under the car - and when I mean under it, look under it up at the floor pans, trans tunnel, front k-member etc...

Something isnā€™t adding up.

Post #7
"If it was leaking that bad running, the underbody will sure a hell have evidence to be seen."
Sponsored