OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm a younger mr magoo without the glasses lol. theres no oil in the driveway or garage, not a drop. But why would the car burn that much oil? I have 2 cars and changed the oil in both of them on the same day. One is fine, the other is my mustang :facepalm:. I drove my other car way more, even from northern california to southern california a few times and no issues. This is my third mustang so I should have known better than to slack on the maintenance.

Update: flashed the car back to stock file and the mechanic is going to look at it again this afternoon.
Sponsored

Dare2goBare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Ruby Red Metallic
I'm a younger mr magoo without the glasses lol. theres no oil in the driveway or garage, not a drop. But why would the car burn that much oil? " I have 2 cars and changed the oil in both of them on the same day." One is fine, the other is my mustang :facepalm:. I drove my other car way more, even from northern california to southern california a few times and no issues. This is my third mustang so I should have known better than to slack on the maintenance.

Update: flashed the car back to stock file and the mechanic is going to look at it again this afternoon.
Is it possible you had a Brain Dead moment. " No Disrespect Meant " and put all the oil into your other car, like as in over fill.... just a thought. :facepalm: You know , one of those Days!!!

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Is it possible you had a Brain Dead moment. " No Disrespect Meant " and put all the oil into your other car, like as in over fill.... just a thought. :facepalm: You know , one of those Days!!!

My other car is just my commuter, its a 2014 chrysler which oddly enough has been extremely reliable. But two different types of oil, the mustang got royal purple synthetic and the chrysler got whatever i happened to grab that met the standard, I think it was castrol. Maybe the royal purple oil just burns like water? I've honestly never used it before.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I guess the good news is that your oil pressure never dropped low enough to trigger the LOP warning on the dash. You'd know it, it flashes and dings rapidly.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Any update from the mechanic?

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I guess the good news is that your oil pressure never dropped low enough to trigger the LOP warning on the dash. You'd know it, it flashes and dings rapidly.

That's what I was most surprised about, no low oil light or low oil pressure reading from the digital gauges. It always read normal.
Any update from the mechanic?

They just called and said cylinders 5, 6, 8 were low. They priced a remanufactured engine from Ford for 7k. So with install i'm looking at 10 once it's all done. He is getting the quote for a rebuild as well so he will call back with that this afternoon. smh that was supercharger money lol. If the engine is going to be out I might just look at having it supercharged as it's being put in. This is going to require me calling a bunch of shops, and probably cashing in a few shares of stock as well 😅

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
You should look into buying a new shortblock and keep your heads/intake, etc. $10k is nuts! That car could be put together and run like new for less than $5k. I'd find a new mechanic if you are unable to do the work yourself.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You should look into buying a new shortblock and keep your heads/intake, etc. $10k is nuts! That car could be put together and run like new for less than $5k. I'd find a new mechanic if you are unable to do the work yourself.

I just had that thought pop into my head prior to you mentioning that and I called them back. I was looking around and seen performance short blocks for 7k, so that got me thinking. The mechanic said the shortblock wouldn't come with everything, and started listing items that would not be included with it. He said it would be way more labor for a short block. But I still assume thats going to be cheaper than purchasing an entire engine. I understand its easier for them but I want whats easier for me lol.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Unless you are supercharged/turbocharged, no need for anything other than a stock shortblock which is way cheaper than $7k.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
They mentioned to me they would have to send it out for any engine work so these are clearly not the mechanics to help me. I'm going to take the car somewhere else, so for now I'm having it towed back home.

Their final assumption is that the timing jumped which caused the damage. Are there any good shops in California that know mustangs? I'm sure there are but I'm not familiar with them.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Most mechanics would have to send the engine out for machine work. That's not uncommon.

Did you have the oil pump gears changed or any other reason for having the timing chains off? If not, i doubt the timing changed.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Not trying to be smart or sarcastic. Check your oil on a regular basis and this should avoid problems.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Get it checked at another place but don't tell them about the low oil just present it with codes and other symptoms, the current place might just have been trying to drum up work for themselves.
Sponsored