My 17' GT didn't have any oil......

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Hope it all gets straightened out. I feel your pain, I shouldn’t admit, but I’ve been aloof myself :(. I’ve short/filled oil by several quarts before.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
$86xx for a new Coyote crate engine.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You should look into buying a new shortblock and keep your heads/intake, etc. $10k is nuts! That car could be put together and run like new for less than $5k. I'd find a new mechanic if you are unable to do the work yourself.

You were correct on this, I brought the car to a place that actually builds engines. Well the engine builder mostly splits time between his shop and another. But the guy knows his stuff, told me he could put me back to stock for about 5k.

Next steps on this, they are going to build the engine for me but wanted to know if I wanted to stay NA or add a supercharger. I asked the best path to stay smog legal but add as much power as possible, so they suggested a supercharger. I'm going to provide him a deposit for the pistons, rings, and rods since they said those items had the longest lead time. We still have to meet to create a build list, they just completed a similar car where they guy blew his engine and they rebuilt and supercharged it. His may have cost more than mine would because he went aftermarket everything. I'm not trying to drop 20k on this thing, but if I can land at 15k-17k (rebuilt and supercharged) that would definitely work for me. They said they doubt the noise I'm hearing is rod knock but they will find out once they tear it down. This should all be happening over the next 4 months, the last set of pistons he ordered he mentioned were ordered in October and they recently arrived. That's why he recommended at least getting those ordered.

Probably looking at 4-5 months considering my other expenses but it should be worth the wait. :party:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
You were correct on this, I brought the car to a place that actually builds engines. Well the engine builder mostly splits time between his shop and another. But the guy knows his stuff, told me he could put me back to stock for about 5k.

Next steps on this, they are going to build the engine for me but wanted to know if I wanted to stay NA or add a supercharger. I asked the best path to stay smog legal but add as much power as possible, so they suggested a supercharger. I'm going to provide him a deposit for the pistons, rings, and rods since they said those items had the longest lead time. We still have to meet to create a build list, they just completed a similar car where they guy blew his engine and they rebuilt and supercharged it. His may have cost more than mine would because he went aftermarket everything. I'm not trying to drop 20k on this thing, but if I can land at 15k-17k (rebuilt and supercharged) that would definitely work for me. They said they doubt the noise I'm hearing is rod knock but they will find out once they tear it down. This should all be happening over the next 4 months, the last set of pistons he ordered he mentioned were ordered in October and they recently arrived. That's why he recommended at least getting those ordered.

Probably looking at 4-5 months considering my other expenses but it should be worth the wait. :party:
Good luck with everything. Keep us posted

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There is no sensor for low oil in this cars as there is no sensor for worn out brake pads.
Not sure about every S550 model year, but my 2015 does have a low oil level sensor in the oil pan. It's talked about in the OM, and I can see the sensor on the side of the oil pan.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That's nice. I didn't notice any sensors on my 2019 Bullitt with a plastic oil pan. It's rare for engines with a dipstick to have a low oil level sensor, and that's probably why Ford deleted it. But for an engine notorious for oil consumption, there should be one. Most European cars now have an electronic oil level sensor, which also alerts drivers when oil level is low. I prefer a dipstick myself, but those electronic sensors bring engines blown due to low oil level to zero, which is good.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just to update everyone on this, I researched every option available. From used engines to rebuilding and it looks like the best route to go is still a new engine replacement. A used engine for this car runs $8,500 - $9,000 which I think is crazy since the quote for installation of a new ford engine (not remanufactured) is $10,000. The car is at the shop now, I got a second opinion and the bottom end is damaged according to them and it does need a new engine. I finally gave the ok to just order it and drop it in. Once I get it back I'm going to be checking the oil level on this thing every 2 weeks lol. Expensive lesson learned. :crazy: I recently made about $10,000 on our employee stock purchase program since our stock has doubled over this last year. So I'll be using that money to repair it.

Also, the person that offered to rebuild with all aftermarket parts and supercharge it wanted about 18k total. Not to mention it would not pass smog with everything they planned on doing, so the plan for now is to keep my existing mods and supercharge it with a carb legal product and leave it as is.
Sponsored

Last edited: