My 17' GT didn't have any oil......

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
OP didn't say (or I missed it) if he did the oil change, or if a shop did it.

No way does that much oil get lost without either a huge puddle in the garage or oil all over the engine, transmission, etc. I suspect that whoever did the last service neglected to put in the proper amount.
Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Maybe ..... nah. We all make mistakes.
If the crank case holds 8 quarts, they added 5 quarts = 3 left in crankcase. Assuming 5 quarts brought to full mark on reader dip stick.
3 quarts should be sufficient amount to be driving at low to medium RPMs. So why would engine be damaged. Has damage been verified?
I'm thinking Mo to this story. Like I said we all make mistakes.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I think he took it to someone for an oil change and never checked the work or the oil since. He just assumed it was taken care of at the time. You can fix dumb, but you can't fix stupid!!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
3rd line he says
"My mustang isn't my daily driver, I did the oil change with royal purple (oil and filter) and It was not leaking anywhere in the driveway."

Reading the post missing ? LMAO

guilty

Sponsored

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the replies, I'm positive I put 8 quarts but who knows maybe not :crazy:. One somewhat important thing to note, when I changed the oil it only had 5 quarts in it, probably an indicator I should have been watching the level lol. Im having my mechanic take a look at it tomorrow. I'll provide an update, probably an expensive one 😅

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
He seemed to imply he bought it used, with lots of mods. Might of been a u used by the previous owner, and only 5 quarts came out when you changed the oil? It’s probably been running it’s entire previous ownership low.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You can easily burn that much oil. I've owned cars that have burned 1 qt every 800 miles and another poster on here was burning 1 every 500 or so on his 19' that had a defect in the engine and just had it replaced.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You can easily burn that much oil. I've owned cars that have burned 1 qt every 800 miles and another poster on here was burning 1 every 500 or so on his 19' that had a defect in the engine and just had it replaced.

I haven't had to regularly check my oil like that since I had a g35, that thing burned a quart every 2 weeks easily lol.

Mechanic called just now, they can't locate the noise, they said the exhaust was too loud for them to hear any rattling. I told them they need to hear it during a drive. They also said they wanted to connect the Ford scan tool, but it was not communicating with the computer because the car is tuned. I'm heading down there on my lunch to remove the tune, the problem is the car was tuned because of the JLT intake, 18 manifold and the 49lbs injectors. By removing the tune I feel like the car will not run correctly but for what they need to do it should be ok. So I'm going down there in an hour to set it back to stock.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I haven't had to regularly check my oil like that since I had a g35, that thing burned a quart every 2 weeks easily lol.

Mechanic called just now, they can't locate the noise, they said the exhaust was too loud for them to hear any rattling. I told them they need to hear it during a drive. They also said they wanted to connect the Ford scan tool, but it was not communicating with the computer because the car is tuned. I'm heading down there on my lunch to remove the tune, the problem is the car was tuned because of the JLT intake, 18 manifold and the 49lbs injectors. By removing the tune I feel like the car will not run correctly but for what they need to do it should be ok. So I'm going down there in an hour to set it back to stock.
It won't run correctly on the stock tune with your mods...

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I know, I called VMP just to confirm but they said they are compression testing the cylinders and not driving it. I told the mechanic I would unflash it for their testing but it can't be driven until I reflash the tune. VMP said for what they need to check it would be ok, just try not to drive it without the tune loaded.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm positive I put 8 quarts but who knows maybe not
The scenario. Losing 5 quarts on the road / on your driveway / in the garage you'd have to be Mr Magoo to miss that..
Sponsored