Sponsored

Mustang's 5.0L engine more impressive than Ferrari V12? So says Engineering Explained

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Good stuff in there. Some nice engineering substitutions. That's about the only metric the Gen 3 Coyote is more impressive the Ferrari Superfast's V12. That thing makes 121 hp/liter. The gen 3 coyote in the regular GT? 92 hp/liter. The Bullitt Coyote is pretty darn decent at 96 hp/liter. Torque is nice, but torque at high rpms (i.e., high hp engines) wins races. Which is why the Ferrari 812 Superfast traps 138 mph in the 1/4 mile.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
By that measure and assuming NA, I believe the current 911 carerra and carerra S beats the Ferrari super fast and mustang gt.

Add forced induction, and I believe the record holder is the Mercedes cla45 with over double the bmep.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Add forced induction, and I believe the record holder is the Mercedes cla45 with over double the bmep.
But if you divide by 3 or 4 ( whatever BAR is being forced into the engine ) then you can compare to a NA. Otherwise yeah.. FORD knows how to make 5 liter NA engines go fast. Really fast.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
By that measure and assuming NA, I believe the current 911 carerra and carerra S beats the Ferrari super fast and mustang gt.

The current 911 Carrera and Carrera S are turbocharged.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The 5.0 is impressive because it is a high volume mass produced engine that meets fuel economy standards as well.
Agreed. And what's always impressed me most about the 5.0 is that it's just about as quick (if not quicker especially with the Gen 3/A10 combo) than it rivals that need motors that utilize a liter or more in displacement.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What would be way more impressive would be a Mustang that weight 3,200 lbs
Power to weight ratio is the name of the game and less weight is always better ( save for tanks)
One could only wish. However, the days of 3200 lbs are long gone. Hell, even the new C8 weighs in the 3500 pound range if I'm not mistaken.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I know...I was referring to the NA 3.4 version.
Oh, I wasn't aware the Carrera came with an NA version.

Agreed. And what's always impressed me most about the 5.0 is that it's just about as quick (if not quicker especially with the Gen 3/A10 combo) than it rivals that need motors that utilize a liter or more in displacement.
The A10 GT PP1 is a tad quicker than the SS and traps 2-3 higher mph in the 1/4 (more significant than the tenth of a second e.t. improvement IMO of 12.1 vs 12.2 sec). But, to be fair to the engines, as I'm sure you're aware, those GM engines are a different technology; cam in block rather than DOHC. Physically the GM LT1 6.2 liter is similar in size to the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0. Sure it makes a lot less power per liter, but due to the design they can stuff more liters in the same package size so the per liter power efficiency is less critical. Quantity over quality thing. They have a similar power output, but take a different route to get there, different characteristics (higher torque, lower revving, etc.). After having been a cam in block guy my whole life, the Gen 3 coyote changed my mind. I love this Gen 3 coyote engine.

One could only wish. However, the days of 3200 lbs are long gone. Hell, even the new C8 weighs in the 3500 pound range if I'm not mistaken.
The 2020 Corvette weighs 3,647 lbs, according to Car and Driver's test. That's a good reason to make the C8 Z06 NA again. The C6 Z06 was NA and about a hundred or so pounds lighter than the standard C6 Corvette, and about 200 lbs lighter than the C6 ZR1. Hopefully the new NA Z06 will be in the mid 3,500 lbs range in lieu of the C7 trend, where each trim step up gained more weight than the last.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’ve studied bmep quite a bit and found some interesting things. Bmep generally goes up with compression...to a point, where it starts to fall off again. The peak bmep seems to be around 12.5/1. The Mazda skyactivG and Ferrari 812 both lower bmep even though the compression ratio is higher. I can only speculate the reasons for this. I’ll try to post the graph later.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Right but the 13/1 skyactiv g and 13.6/1 Ferrari 812 both have gdi and variable valve timing.

With forced induction, there is a clear trend of reducing bmep as compression ratio increases. If you think about this in terms of NA, perhaps the volumetric efficiency has to be reduced at high CR in order to prevent detonation. VE can be reduced using cam timing, runner length, or even throttle modulation. If this is the case, there must be some reason why Ferrari and Mazda would intentionally increase compression ratio to a level where a reduction in VE is required, and wot bmep is sacrificed. With Mazda it’s most likely fuel efficiency. With Ferrari, I don’t know, but it could be designed such that when race fuel is used it has the ability to increase VE and make even more power.
Sponsored