Mustang vs. S5?

Law_Stu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic :(
I thought for sure that I would be buying a new mustang of some sort in the next month, but today has left me shaken.
On a lark today I stopped by an Audi dealership to give an S5 a try. There’s one that I walk by every day in my work parking lot, and noticed I kept giving it a second look. It’s roughly priced the same as the Mach 1, so I figured I’d give it a try, come to my senses and move on.
I couldn’t believe how quick and sharp driving it was. I was shocked enough I went over to the ford dealership to give a gt another test drive (it had been a month since I did so). The one they gave me was almost out of gas but it felt so much more sluggish accelerating and turning.
Did I just have weird examples of both? If I’m being dumb, then why? Would love to hear from people.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the 2014 rs5 instead of the twin turbo but even the Stinger makes a GT feel slow.

The GT is just the 28000 ecoboost cheap car with a bigger motor thrown into it. Any German car will run circles around a Ford product in multiple ways, performance being just one.

People buy Mustang because it's cheap. Not because it's objectively good. Though it does reasonably ok in that metric.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Better calibrate that butt dyno :giggle:

The S5 is the same/more weight than the Mustang, but down over 100 horsepower
I think my butt dyno is fine. They are close enough in any event.

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s5
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.9 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 25.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.6 sec

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.0 sec

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I thought for sure that I would be buying a new mustang of some sort in the next month, but today has left me shaken.
On a lark today I stopped by an Audi dealership to give an S5 a try. There’s one that I walk by every day in my work parking lot, and noticed I kept giving it a second look. It’s roughly priced the same as the Mach 1, so I figured I’d give it a try, come to my senses and move on.
I couldn’t believe how quick and sharp driving it was. I was shocked enough I went over to the ford dealership to give a gt another test drive (it had been a month since I did so). The one they gave me was almost out of gas but it felt so much more sluggish accelerating and turning.
Did I just have weird examples of both? If I’m being dumb, then why? Would love to hear from people.
The S5 is also like $20k+ more than the GT?

If you're comparing the S5 to a GT as a proxy for a M1, that's kinda of silly, don't you think? Otherwise why would people be dropping the extra $20k for the M1 over the base GT?

I'll leave this here for you

Steeda dyno runs.png

Long story short though, if you want the S5, get the S5. It's your life, drive what you enjoy

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Pick what tou like/can afford yourself. There will be noone else to blame later on.

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
It is still a VW. and comes with the wiring problems and all.
Only you know what one is best for you.
But plan on it being at the dealership service dept. alot

mduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT M6 2018 Orange Fury, Mach 1 on order
Audi are very fine cars, refined
Comparing with a Mustang that is rough

I do not find Audi as a fun car to live with.
Lovely cars but for me they are lacking the feeling I want from a car.

I went for BMW again as my daily driver and a Mustang Mach 1 being delivered this week....

Go for the feeling you have, thats the correct answer. The S5 is an amazing good looking car 😎

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Mustang Mach 1 and Audi S5 have the same 0-60 times. The Audi is heavier and makes less power, so it's a little slower through the quarter mile.

To me the Audi is more of a luxury brand and it should be nicer inside. I don't think it would be good for a track outing. The Mustang can feel a little bland on the street, especially with a 6 speed manual, but on track it really comes alive. The Audi is focused for street driving and highway cruising. It's probably quieter and will get better fuel economy.

It's all about what you prefer and what you want your car to do. If you want to make a couple trips to the road course and don't mind having an "immature" car - Mustang. If you want to blend in and be comfortable - maybe Audi is a better choice.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
ive got a 2019 S4 that is my grocery and winter car. got it tuned by epl right after they broke the encryption on the ecu and it hauls ass . 0-60 sub 4 and there is zero wheel spin with the quatro. its the same motor that is in the S5. if i put on a larger turbo and ic it would easily gap the gt to 100.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I hate to say it but the Mustang is a bit of a pig out of the box. The traction control is very heavy handed and the low end will feel sluggish without 93 (the dealership probably has it filled with 87). Turn off traction control and the car will feel a bit less held back. If it's used to 93 then it'll feel even better.

So no, I don't think you're being dumb. It's very easy to stack the cards against the Mustang.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hate to say it but the Mustang is a bit of a pig out of the box. The traction control is very heavy handed and the low end will feel sluggish without 93 (the dealership probably has it filled with 87). Turn off traction control and the car will feel a bit less held back. If it's used to 93 then it'll feel even better.

So no, I don't think you're being dumb. It's very easy to stack the cards against the Mustang.
I guess the extra 400 ft/lbs my 2017 GT PP1 has at the wheels in first gear makes a big difference. My 2017 PP1 has a ton of torque in first. Actually second feels quite good as well. It's mostly when I get to about 50 mph and beyond that I miss the power of my old GT350.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I guess the extra 400 ft/lbs my 2017 GT PP1 has at the wheels in first gear makes a big difference. My 2017 PP1 has a ton of torque in first. Actually second feels quite good as well. It's mostly when I get to about 50 mph and beyond that I miss the power of my old GT350.

Sure but a lot is due to the stock tune and traction control. The higher compression of the gen 3 makes it more knock sensitive and the stock tune, which has to accommodate 87 octane, is real quick to pull timing. With traction control off and the frpp pack (93 only) it feels like a different animal. Even just turning off AdvanceTrac made a big difference on the stock tune. It's way too heavy handed and just outright annoying imo.

OP
OP

Law_Stu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic :(
I got to do a better test drive of a mustang on Saturday and it felt way better than the first time, as fast and fun as I was hoping. Definitely more fun to drive than the s5. I think the other one was acting up because they let me drive it while it was on fumes.

May not make a difference anyway. I live in Texas and every ford dealership around here is awful to work with. Trying to act as if their inability to get mustangs makes them “exclusive”. I’m about to give up on getting one.

Sorry, I don’t mean to derail. It’s just been an incredibly frustrating process.

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
I think my butt dyno is fine. They are close enough in any event.

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/s5
Zero to 60 mph: 4.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.9 sec
Zero to 140 mph: 25.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.6 sec

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 16.6 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.0 sec
Looks like you already decided there.
Comparing dct S5 to 6-speed GT is a bit odd to put it mildly. Before my PP1 transmission disintegrated and dealer did their best to ruin everything else while attempting to fix it, it never felt slow or sluggish. Normal to Track mode, summer to winter it drove off the line or away from red light like it had a solid rocket booster in the trunk.
Sponsored