OP

Law_Stu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic :(
I dont know if they are or not. I know that they seem to be the "Standard' I also like how people are always saying this car will always be in the shop etc...and you look and they are higher rated.

I had 5 Mustangs and never had much wrong with one. I had one in the shop to fix power seat, that's about it. My neighbor has an M4 with over 90k on it and never had an issue however, if you listen to a lot of people a BMW cant stay out of the shop. Time will tell I guess.
I can at least speak anecdotally on Hondas. I’m getting rid of a 2018 Honda Civic, and it has been a turd from day one. A long list of issues, but the worst was the design did not properly attach the engine splash shield. I eventually had to just have it removed

So I’m very much looking forward to getting something new!
Sponsored

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
you mean like the GT350/500 are built by the same yahoos who slap together the EB? :)
/ducking
Yea, but they build the GT500s in the morning, the base GTs right after lunch, and the eco boosts at 4:30 on Fridays

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
I love the S5 but when optioned up like I would want it, it is in an entirely different cost bracket. So, whether or not the "refinement" is worth it is a personal choice. I actually wanted a knuckle-dragger car for a change so it wasn't worth it to me.

Performance wise, the cars are close enough that numbers from a magazine are kind of irrelevant. They are different cars with different appeals.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sure but a lot is due to the stock tune and traction control. The higher compression of the gen 3 makes it more knock sensitive and the stock tune, which has to accommodate 87 octane, is real quick to pull timing. With traction control off and the frpp pack (93 only) it feels like a different animal. Even just turning off AdvanceTrac made a big difference on the stock tune. It's way too heavy handed and just outright annoying imo.
I can't speak to your car, but my experience with Mustangs is that Ford engineers change up the traction control programming a LOT. My 2015 base GT had very stringent traction control. So much so that it annoyed the crap outta me and I got in the habit of turning it off every time I got into the car (except in really low traction weather conditions). My GT350 let you get really far out of shape without traction control kicking in. I often just left it alone, and really it was fine with traction control on even on track. My 2017 GT PP1 traction control seems closer to the GT350 version than the base GT.

It's interesting to me that your GT PP1 has this issue. Seems like Ford decided to tighten up the TC programming.

I got to do a better test drive of a mustang on Saturday and it felt way better than the first time, as fast and fun as I was hoping. Definitely more fun to drive than the s5. I think the other one was acting up because they let me drive it while it was on fumes.

May not make a difference anyway. I live in Texas and every ford dealership around here is awful to work with. Trying to act as if their inability to get mustangs makes them “exclusive”. I’m about to give up on getting one.

Sorry, I don’t mean to derail. It’s just been an incredibly frustrating process.
Glad to hear. I was very surprised at what you were saying before and I wasn't even sure it was genuine. That sucks about your local dealers. Good luck with the process!

I dont know if they are or not. I know that they seem to be the "Standard' I also like how people are always saying this car will always be in the shop etc...and you look and they are higher rated.

I had 5 Mustangs and never had much wrong with one. I had one in the shop to fix power seat, that's about it. My neighbor has an M4 with over 90k on it and never had an issue however, if you listen to a lot of people a BMW cant stay out of the shop. Time will tell I guess.
I think in general most cars and brands are pretty good. The difference between the best and worst isn't as big as some people imagine it to be. That explains why some people have a great experience and others don't. I know a local guy that had two different GT350 engines replaced due to oil usage, but my 2016 GT350 tech pack never had an issue (other than the problems Ford deliberately designed into it).

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
It's interesting to me that your GT PP1 has this issue. Seems like Ford decided to tighten up the TC programming.
I'm actually more curious that your 2017 felt different than your 2015, pp or not.

But I do the same. I turn it off religiously. The nail in the coffin was last winter when (snow tires) I was traversing a slight incline with a bit of wheel spin after it snowed. All was fine until traction control kept cutting power until the point where I had my foot to the floor but the car wouldn't rev. I got stuck because of traction control and had to wait for a whole line of cars to get around. I turned everything off and things were fine. It wasn't just mildly annoying at that point but outright dangerous.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm actually more curious that your 2017 felt different than your 2015, pp or not.

But I do the same. I turn it off religiously. The nail in the coffin was last winter when (snow tires) I was traversing a slight incline with a bit of wheel spin after it snowed. All was fine until traction control kept cutting power until the point where I had my foot to the floor but the car wouldn't rev. I got stuck because of traction control and had to wait for a whole line of cars to get around. I turned everything off and things were fine. It wasn't just mildly annoying at that point but outright dangerous.
Sounds like the newer cars have stricter traction control for sure. Either that, or your 2019 PP1 seems like it has a base GT traction control program in it.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Weird. Apparently I won the lottery twice, since the two VWs that I've owned were more trouble-free than any domestic I've owned in the last decade. Built better too, fit and finish and paint especially.
I am happy for you, that is great.
One of my long time friends works at a vw service dept.
He saids it is a shame how many cars come back over and over for different wiring/ electronic issues , Sure it is under warranty, but what a pain. And frankly Fit and finish and paint don't matter if you are on the side of the road alot waiting on a hook.
That said, I am glad you haven't had these issues. Seems, many are not so lucky, and lemon law isn't much of a help when the problem is different most times.
I had an A4 that almost got me unemployed it broke down so much. It had 13k on it when I had to trade it in because I was missing work so much. 17 times on the hook in 15 months at that low of miles is not what I'd call a reliable vehicle. Never again

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I am happy for you, that is great.
One of my long time friends works at a vw service dept.
He saids it is a shame how many cars come back over and over for different wiring/ electronic issues , Sure it is under warranty, but what a pain. And frankly Fit and finish and paint don't matter if you are on the side of the road alot waiting on a hook.
That said, I am glad you haven't had these issues. Seems, many are not so lucky, and lemon law isn't much of a help when the problem is different most times.
I had an A4 that almost got me unemployed it broke down so much. It had 13k on it when I had to trade it in because I was missing work so much. 17 times on the hook in 15 months at that low of miles is not what I'd call a reliable vehicle. Never again
Sounds like my last two Jeep Wranglers.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I have never driven an all wheel drive Audi but I read they understeer really bad??

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have never driven an all wheel drive Audi but I read they understeer really bad??
I heard that as well, something about the engine and all its weight being in front of the front axle means those front tires have to do too much work.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I really liked the s5, especially the sport back. It feels super premium. Pricing them out I can get an absolutely loaded mach 1 for the pricing of a middling s5. 5% off a s5 seems doable right now over on leasehacker. TBH I'd just buy a used one once things calm down a bit. Its not going anywhere and they aren't an endangered species like the M1. Though if you want a german the bmw m340i is a way better deal right now.

Djetok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1
Someone made reference to German cars. I will admit coming out my m car to the 19 gt pp1 at first I was underwhelmed. I told my 15 yo son, whose mustang this really is, that the m car was faster. It felt faster, for sure. After the tune, lth, and other tidbits. The mustang is faster and a whole lot more fun and cheaper too mod. So much so, that when he takes the car next year. I will probably end up with a gt500.
Sponsored