Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is pretty much just a hacked together prototype so I wouldn't read much into it. They likely just took a base EB and converted it. The touchscreen is an aftermarket unit from China for instance....
I'm not so sure I would use the word "hacked". I would say polished. :)

As far as the analog gauges and the M6 it is obvious that they were trying to get the "dark side" (you know who you are) :lipssealed: to at least look at the possibility of an EV. Based on a few of the comments on here they might have succeeded, at least a little.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It's much closer than you think. For the vast majority of people in this country the current EV tech is sufficient. (With the asterisk of more fast charging stations needed which is happening)
Trust me, I don't have to make any assumptions, I've been following EV tech for a long time, have driven an EV before most people even heard of Tesla (including an early roadster), I have friends who own various EVs, and even some friends in the home "alternative power" industry (who are also EV owners, multiple times over), so have a really good sense of all the particulars :) I constantly consider the viability at various times, and I often run into a conflicting scenario for use (whether it's a personal consideration or an absolute PITA logistic issue).

Like I said, it's not a good fit for some folks, and sure, some may be a shrinking percentage, but that doesn't invalidate my original assertion :)

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
If we're going to hate on electric cars, let's at least have legitimate reasons. I think most of us can agree on the issues with this one.

cnzb4cjcax5r6dibf8px.jpg

:puke:

:crying: I see a spot for a running pony on the front....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It has pretty beefy fenders (the wheel look tucked WAY into the fender area), you could put some beefy rubber on it :D

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
right you live in the People's Republic where you have days of no power, a bankrupt utility (and bankrupt state gov't too) and annual, massive, forest fires emitting multiple powers of maginitude of soot, carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (not to mention killing animals out the wazoo) and threatening the rest of the planet compared to all the good will every EV car ever produced garnered by it's use.

Only in Cali and other progressive hotspots do you have such un-economic programs. In the real world EV are not even a pimple on an elephant's ass. Employers putting charging stations in garages or parking lots? Like hell. Only the biggest malls have charging stations. Maybe 8 or a dozen out of 500+ spots.

There are some EV at 25K. https://list.ly/list/gSc-best-electric-vehicles-under-25000-dollars
They are perfectly fine for runabouts of less than 100mi radius where you can reliably come back to home base. For everything else there is Petrol.
LOL I love how you turned your argument into which state I live in. Great argument for gas vs electric by bringing up power issues during fire seasons. Due in part to a water drought that's lasted over a decade. Way to poke fun at a pretty tragic issue for many people and businesses. And just an FYI, the land that gets burned most of the time is federal land, not state land. So get your facts straight.

You should do a bit more research on state GDP's. At the end of 2018 California was operating at a $30 billion surplus while your state was nowhere near that figure.

I can find a charging station in many of the areas around southern california which include small business squares, small malls, large malls, most parking structures and again...people can install them in their homes. Yes it'll take a bit longer for rural America but in the metropolitan cities of America they are getting more and more common.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I love how you turned your argument into which state I live in.
I mentioned it because your EV reality is very, VERY distorted by your State's policies. What is common-place in South Cali doesn't hold anywhere else. Hell, I'm in Fairfax county and a 30 mile radius covers much of the top 20.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

Yeah we have EV but the infrastructure is spotty to put it generously. If there ever was a concentration of wealth to bring about EV penetration it would be here. It's not happening.

The point of the fires was to point out utter futility of "saving the planet by driving an EV" while millions of acres go up in smoke. I'm not making a distinction over state/federal lands. They aren't being cleared and that's a major problem. California will return to it's native desert state soon enough.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I mentioned it because your EV reality is very, VERY distorted by your State's policies. What is common-place in South Cali doesn't hold anywhere else. Hell, I'm in Fairfax county and a 30 mile radius covers much of the top 20.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

Yeah we have EV but the infrastructure is spotty to put it generously. If there ever was a concentration of wealth to bring about EV penetration it would be here. It's not happening.

The point of the fires was to point out utter futility of "saving the planet by driving an EV" while millions of acres go up in smoke.

Take a look at these sites. Might change your mind.

https://www.plugshare.com/

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Problem solved:
All they have to do is make the roof panel solar - and *blam*, there ya go, insta-charging while the car is parked outside with no need to always “plug-in” and it will be “off the grid” to squash all of the chicken little worries above...
Now someone just has to buy the panels.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Okay -- this is not specifically about Mustang -- but it's relevant to the EV component of this thread -- and the tech is improving:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I love these. The pricing on the Texaco pump is hysterical. Back then they used 8/10th. Wonder why?
To be cheaper than the other guy at 9/10ths

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
In Texas sure, but not in California, where ironically there is a bunch of wind power, but they have to turn it off when it's windy or everything catches on fire.

I think the point he's making is a sub-300 mile range gets you all over a European country, but not Texas, and if you are crossing a couple states forgettaboutit. Until you can recharge in comparable times to gas fill-up (less than 5 minutes) electric is best suited for in-town use. Yes, you can obviously drive a Tesla cross-country, but it requires planning and a somewhat leisurely pace, taking a long lunch with your re-charge. When I drive cross country it's drive-through only. I know a guy who got a (non-Tesla) electric. Works in town, but he rents a car if he needs to go out of town.
That's all fair -- but you don't need to top all the way off to get over 300 miles, and charge rates are not linear throughout a battery's capacity. Three months after I got my GT, I drove from Maryland to Indiana with my daughter and a trunk full of paper boxes full of brass HO-scale locomotives (long story). I made three gas stops (strictly speaking, I could have gotten by with two) -- two of them we ate during, taking at least 30-40 minutes per stop -- just to go something less that 700 miles. I can accept that Texas may not be ready for EV's as they are today, but the gap is small, and getting smaller -- in a couple of years, I suspect that gap will be closed.

Last edited:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I think that may be just a little strong. They may now be as informed as us "enthusiasts" but they are not "all" idiots. Just most of them :)

And I think we need to stop blaming the government, our government, for everything. I'm not saying they are blameless but some good is done along with the not so good. Energy use is a worldwide issue. The US just uses more of it partially due to our lifelong love of the automobile. Alternative means of propulsion are going to be necessary as fossil fuels are not going to be available forever.

Anyone remember the mid 70's? We thought performance was dead. We were all going to be driving around in compact cars. Well look where we are now. I do not know what the performance landscape is going to look like it 10 to 20 years but I truly believe that there will be one for us to enjoy.
Sure how could anyone forget this:

88HP. , 0-60 @ 14.6 , 1/4 mile @ 19.7

maxresdefault.jpg

1978 Ford Mustang II Cobra II 2.3L automatic (aut. 3) specs

• Ford Mustang II Cobra II 2.3L automatic (aut. 3) , model year 1978, version for North America U.S. (up to October)
    • manufactured by Ford (USA) in USA
    • 3-door coupe body type
    • RWD (rear-wheel drive), automatic 3-speed gearbox
    • characteristic dimensions: outside length: 4445 mm / 175 in, width: 1783 mm / 70.2 in, wheelbase: 2443 mm / 96.2 in
    • reference weights: base curb weight: 1230 kg / 2712 lbs
    • how fast is this car ? top speed: 157 km/h (98 mph) (©theoretical);
Sponsored