Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Those gas stations are all on the grid, and can be outfitted with charging stations at some point.
Granted there should be 3-phase on the pole but I doubt there is enough slack to pull more than a couple of 12kW draws. I don't know what the regs are vis-a-vis high-current and proximity to buried, unexploded ordnance AKA gas storage tanks. I can imagine the fun when yet another Tesla goes into thermal runaway and burns till it can burn no more...
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't hear that. EV's start out much higher when you factor in battery manufacturing. Then depending on what state you live in and what size battery you have there is an amount of time for the EV to catch up. There would be no catch up time if both power sources had the same emissions. In SC a mid range EV would pass my ICE within 2-3 years. After that the EV would be way ahead. This will of course change as manufacturing emissions go down as well as States electric production. In time EV's and ICE's will start on a level playing surface. At that point the EV's advantage will start from day 1.
Then we get to the pollution of the used up EV batteries

The Rapid Rise of Electric Vehicles Could Lead to a Mountain of Battery Waste
https://www.ksl.com/article/4666878...les-could-lead-to-a-mountain-of-battery-waste

The spiralling environmental cost of our lithium battery addiction
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whenever I can run a car off an 8 pack of AA batteries, call me.

Until then, I’ll fill up with 93 octane t-Rex, pterodactyl, or whatever other animal from the cretescious period so selflessly died for my future addiction to good old high octane.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I wish Ford would have spent all this $ on something useful. I believe only millenials and folks younger would show positive support for electric vehicles or actually buy one.. ...My wish list for that money would have been production facilities and workers trained who can actually build cars with body panels that line up properly, and paint that doesn't crater and pit when bugs (sometimes seemingly just a gust of air) hit the front of the car and cause chips/damage at a rapid rate. Watching Ford spending money like this on a future that is uncertain while year after year ignoring the lack of quality issues that already plague our brand is all I see right now. Rant over...
If you want to pretend that EV concepts aren't useful, that's certainly your prerogative. But like it or not gas engines are on the way out (as they should be), although the transition will probably take much longer than it should especially in the U.S. Anecdotal, but I'm Gen X and I would absolutely buy an S550 Mustang with an EV powertrain and a manual transmission. And I'd be perfectly happy with only 250ish hp as long as it was affordable.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Turning this thread on its head...

Lamborghini and MIT have been collaborating on the future of EV and eliminating the “batteries” by using Supercaps:

Good read:
https://www.electronicdesign.com/automotive/lamborghini-hybrid-uses-supercapacitors-place-batteries
Interesting. Based on the lower capacity compared to Li-ion batteries it sounds like supercaps won't be replacing them anytime soon as a primary storage medium. But it sounds like they would be a great choice to augment them, by shunting all regen energy into and out of them.

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
Here's something interesting I ran into

Uni of Adelaide battery technology could slash electric vehicle cost
https://reneweconomy.com.au/uni-of-...logy-could-slash-electric-vehicle-cost-23954/
If you have access to scholar.google.com, you can find a lot of battery research under "Chemical and Engineering News" it is a publication by the American Chemical Society that targets organic and inorganic chemistry. The research for better batteries is growing at logarithmic pace. It may plateau for a bit soon, but in another 2 years we will be on another logarithmic curve.

As for battery waste... An appreciable amount of municipal dumps are actually made up to industrial waste standards (even though you can't dump your industrial waste their without a lot of paperwork). The primary reason for this is most citizens still toss out the bulk of their electronic waste in the trashcan. Take a quick moment to think about how many batteries will find their way into your local trash this upcoming January... You know after all of the kids have tossed their old toys / batteries and whatnot and all the parents have to get rid of their old electronics. Phone trade ins and more rechargeable devices / toys have lowered this impact but it is an, often overlooked, non-point source of battery pollution.

Back to the car... That is a lot of blue... Like... A LOT OF BLUE.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
trying to get this thread back on track.... lol, I kind of doubt they will make the 900 hp version (unless its the "cobra" of the EV mustangs). they will likely hopefully make it 600 at least however.

as for the battery pack, top of the engine is a stupid place to put it; i think they did that for the show. you would likely put it where the gas tank is, since thats obviously not needed anymore and the fact that the battery weighs a ton (i hope they put it low anyway)

when this thing comes out, big question is, do i trade in my mustang ecoboost right away, or do i wait for the next generation to come out when they really work out the bugs and make it even faster?!!

Sponsored

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
trying to get this thread back on track.... lol, I kind of doubt they will make the 900 hp version (unless its the "cobra" of the EV mustangs). they will likely hopefully make it 600 at least however.

as for the battery pack, top of the engine is a stupid place to put it; i think they did that for the show. you would likely put it where the gas tank is, since thats obviously not needed anymore and the fact that the battery weighs a ton (i hope they put it low anyway)

when this thing comes out, big question is, do i trade in my mustang ecoboost right away, or do i wait for the next generation to come out when they really work out the bugs and make it even faster?!!
That depends. a year or two buffer might get you less gremlins, but if too many people wait, the sales will slump and the "mustang" mach-e will take precedence.

Wait.... was this even a ford prototype. I thought this was a 3rd party concept of what ford electric could be.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
well hopefully that wont happen... also, i really hope theyll throw the focus RS drivetrain in that thing or something and make it AWD. then itll really be a monster (and the only way to keep 900 HP to the ground). if they do that, id prob get one.

it would be interesting to see what if any, aftermarket "upgrade" parts to make it faster will be... essentially, the E-stang could kill a lot of aftermarket companies products: no exhaust, intakes, coil packs, spark plugs, wires, anything like that. aftermarket products will have to be in line with things like Super Caps, programming power curves, possible wiring upgrades, and maybe cooling options for the motor and or motor controller.

now installing such things as Super Caps and replacing wires will be an entirely different story.

at the same time, if this thing really is 900HP and can dump a megawatt of juice at once, more HP upgrades prob wont be needed right ;)
Sponsored