Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Over the course of driving today I noticed at least three or four things that all of a sudden stopped working and I am not sure why or how they could be related.

1. Both sockets. I always plug my phone in when using Waze but neither would work so I had to use my usb charger. Just to be sure it wasn't the charger I tested it in another car and it worked.

2. The windshield wipers. The right stalk wont work at all. When I pull it towards me the spray doesn't work either.

3. The auto headlights. I always leave the headlights on the auto setting and now they wont turn off on auto (they stayed on during the day). I was thinking this might possibly be related to the wipers, as if the car thinks they are on for some reason the lights will stay on.

4. The left brake light. Well, it works when I hit the brakes, use the turn single or four ways, and when I lock or unlock the car. It just doesn't stay on with the headlights or after I unlock the car like the rest of the lights. So at night, if I am not turning or stopping, it looks like it is out.

I am going to check the fuses tomorrow but does anyone have any idea what else it could be? The rear break light in particular seems odd, does that single function of that single light have its own fuse?
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

That many items at the same time tells me your battery might be getting weak. Have it tested for free at any auto parts store, Autozone, Advanced etc..

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
When multiple (and seemingly unrelated) electrical failures occur it is often a missing/broken ground wire that the circuits share.
Or in some cases a common +12 V, where the various electronic modules provide the ground to activate the devices.

Last edited:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
When multiple (and seemingly unrelated) electrical failures occur it is often a missing/broken ground wire that the circuits share.
This ^

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
So the taillights were fully functional today but the right stalk and two sockets are still not working.
That many items at the same time tells me your battery might be getting weak. Have it tested for free at any auto parts store, Autozone, Advanced etc..
I am going to test the battery tomorrow. I checked out the fuses and they all look good but I will test them anyway.
Or in some cases a common +12 V, where the various electronic modules provide the ground to activate the devices.
Is there any sort of diagram that show the location of the different grounds? I see a few under the hood but I have no idea what the are for.

I guess if I cant figure it out I will have to take it to the dealer.

Sponsored

RalfTech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium 2015
@TheGame1190 Similar issue here. Please use Forscan and let me know if you have any codes showing up!

My thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-s550-taillight-issue-on-and-off.123325/

We might have the same problem. Also, how’s your camera doing?

P.s the guys might be right could be our batteries. But then again my friend drove 7 years on the same battery without an issue. I’m recalibrating my BCMB module on Thursday to latest release so that I don’t have to buy a new battery. I’ll go to Autozone right now and check if its actually weak...

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Partly right. However there are also multiple body modules in these S550 vehicles, so it could also likely be a body module that has failed. Without a schematic (And I have not picked up the Ford teach manuals yet because I am not sold on keeping this car). A fuse in common with each of the failed items is possible but not probable. Wiring would not as likely be an issue unless modifications have been made to the car or it was involved in an accident. There is no point in me accessing my 2011 schematics as they are no way similar. Sorry can't help...but my professional guess would be a body module. We lost a two body modules on my wife's Ford Fusion. Passenger side window stopped working, sunroof stopped working and a few other things I can't remember now. What I can tell you is that the body module has to be programmed to communicate on the canbus network when replaced. IT can't simply be installed. It has to be addressed and then initiated through Ford scan device. Don't think the FORSCAN is capable of doing those.

As an overview statement - weak battery voltage would generate a wider range of quirks and likely erratic CEL's. AC ripple due to a failing alternator would cause engine related issues before effecting other 12vdc devices and as well would likely start generating CEL's. You can check it for peace of mind but it will not be directly related to your issue I can almost assure you.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The Ford (Helm) manual ahs a section for
Is there any sort of diagram that show the location of the different grounds? I see a few under the hood but I have no idea what the are for.

The Ford (Helm) manual has a section for electrical diagrams that shows grounds and their location.

OP
OP
Mr. Met

Mr. Met

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
I have been traveling for the past few months but now that I am using the car again I wanted to give an update in case anyone has the same issue. My battery was weak so I just bought the 590cca battery. Other people did sometimes use the car and despite the issue with the battery being weak all the problems went away and haven't came back. The only issue that was ongoing was the outside light for the turn single on the passenger taillight would stop working. This only happened when it was cooler out so I believe it was the battery also.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have been traveling for the past few months but now that I am using the car again I wanted to give an update in case anyone has the same issue. My battery was weak so I just bought the 590cca battery. Other people did sometimes use the car and despite the issue with the battery being weak all the problems went away and haven't came back. The only issue that was ongoing was the outside light for the turn single on the passenger taillight would stop working. This only happened when it was cooler out so I believe it was the battery also.

Check out the thread in here regarding the rear taillights and the sporadic illumination issues. There’s an SSM on it and if the car is under warranty, bring it to Dealer and it will be fixed.
Sponsored