Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The only way I could see that number being exceeded would be if you counted every kind of motorsport, (Autocross, Gymkahana, trackdays and Drag) and it wouldn't be by much.

Hence why the "inferior" and if you believe everything you read "more expensive after discounts" Mustang is handily outselling, the few 10ths quicker on a track Camaro. More to the point, why the old boat Challenger routinely gives it a run for it's money. You can't even begin to approach the performance envelope of any of them leagally on any public street in 99% of the world (I live in the only county left where you can come close). So why would most people put up with a harsher ride, worse interior room and ergonomics, worse trunk opening and worse visibility for capability 99% likely will never use.

15 years ago I would have thought the ride was good and called anyone who complained a whiner. There is also no way I could have afforded a near $50k car either. Now I'm 40 and found the ride in a 1SS borderline at best. I have not had a chance to ride in a 1LE but no doubt it will be more harsh. No doubt some much younger person reading this is calling me a wuss.

While I could now easily afford a $50k car, I now have the wisdom not to, It's a wonderful thing to own a car that only costs 4 months salary that won't shake fillings loose on the street and has enough power to hit 175 mph when I do get the opportunity to.
I choose my Camaro SS because it feels better and is more fun to drive(to me), It’s capabilities were not the driving factor.
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
I don’t understand why people go over to C6G and provide fodder for that Blaqwhole idiot. The guy wants you to think he’s a “car” guy and owns both a ZL1 and a Hellcat but, from what I can tell, lives in an apartment complex and parks them outside. Not that there is anything wrong with apartment living, but you certainly lack financial sense of you’re buying $100K plus in cars yet still paying rent. Dude is a tool, plain and simple, and just trolls Mustang aficionados.
He maybe even leasing those cars and calling it owning them lol! He hates when even a lightly modded NA GT gets close to his times on the track!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The 1LE can be had for $35k slightly used/low mile and still covered under warranty at the track.
Or just buy a used Vette and have a real dedicated track car.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I choose my Camaro SS because it feels better and is more fun to drive(to me), It’s capabilities were not the driving factor.
As it should be! I used to be a Dodge guy until I owned my first Mustang. Ever since, I have been brand loyal :ford: ... It's the aftermarket that brought me to Ford products. That and I was able to snag a 2015 Premium Auto (when new) with a dealer installed Roush blower for under $45,000 OTD. I couldn't find that with the Camaro.

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
I haven't been keeping up with the prices of the new Mustang and Camaro so I'm just going off what people write. But when the prices are being compared, are they the MSRP prices being compared or what the discounted prices are and what the cars are selling for?

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I have done my share of Camaro bashing in this thread, but having driven a 2018 PP1 and 2018 2SS (not 1LE) back to back I would advocate that the Camaro is the better drivers car even on the street. You don't need to be on a technical track to notice the difference and the torque of the Camaro is much more noticeable in the lower powerband. Unless you drive on flat highways 90%+ of the time, the advantage is to the Camaro.

I completely agree that the Mustang is the better (exterior/interior) designed vehicle but the case can be made for the Camaro even with those deficiencies in mind.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I haven't been keeping up with the prices of the new Mustang and Camaro so I'm just going off what people write. But when the prices are being compared, are they the MSRP prices being compared or what the discounted prices are and what the cars are selling for?
MSRP and discounts are pretty similar. As is the options. Camaro 2SS is probably going to be cheaper than a loaded Premium Mustang with PP1 with similar options (you would need the 401A option pack on a Premium).

Ford dealers around me seem to have slightly better discounts on the 18 Mustang vs the 18 Camaro.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Blaqhole was nervous and his tummy hurt that day he went to the strip so those times are invalid. He probably has ED also that's why he needs 1357 HP worth of cars to help his low self esteem.
He is just a casual okay! #keyboardwarrior

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have done my share of Camaro bashing in this thread, but having driven a 2018 PP1 and 2018 2SS (not 1LE) back to back I would advocate that the Camaro is the better drivers car even on the street. You don't need to be on a technical track to notice the difference and the torque of the Camaro is much more noticeable in the lower powerband. Unless you drive on flat highways 90%+ of the time, the advantage is to the Camaro.

I completely agree that the Mustang is the better (exterior/interior) designed vehicle but the case can be made for the Camaro even with those deficiencies in mind.
That's because the Camaro doesn't have a an actual power band.. :D

Sounds like you like to lug your car, or not use to using half the powerband to get around town. They way you describe/critique makes me wonder why you don't just get an automatic.

Subsequently, if you were on a technical track... you would notice the difference between the two engines matted to their transmissions.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
... I completely agree that the Mustang is the better (exterior/interior) designed vehicle but the case can be made for the Camaro even with those deficiencies in mind.
Pure track numbers haven't helped the 6th gen Camaro overcome it's "deficiencies", bringing in only 68% of Mustang sales in 2016 and 83% of Mustang sales for 2017.

An extremely small number of people track their car, so it looks like that translates into the better overall car being the one that people prefer and buy.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I too noticed how many Mustangs I see at road course events. Hardly ever see Camaros. That should just be down to more people owning Mustangs than Camaros though :clap2:

I agree on taking your car to the track. It is easily the best fun I've had in a car and really showed how poor of a driver I am when it matters. I was passing cars that should be faster and cars I should be faster than were passing me like I was standing still.

That is funny you bring that up. When I still had my Mustang I raced in a local drag series. There was never any camaro's that showed up to the events, but they were always at test n tune. Maybe they just didn't want to race competitively

5Oh_Trey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium (PP)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get what the big deal is about these 1LEs. I walked one in my catback intake tune '17 5.0....

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I don't get what the big deal is about these 1LEs. I walked one in my catback intake tune '17 5.0....

That's just the thing, the car (1LE) is not in anyway built to race in a straight line so anyone who thinks in terms of roll racing, drag racing etc would not understand the appeal of the 1LE.

The car is built for a track not a strip if that makes sense. it is a car refined for a road course. That is the "big deal" of the 1LE.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a talking point for the Camaro guys that like to come on here and say, "Mustang sucks!"

That's really all. There is no big deal. They don't sell much. Dealers don't get over MSRP for them. You don't see them on the street (at least I've never seen one around here).

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Straight line I take it? If there were corners involved, and the Camaro guy knew how to drive, you would not be posting the result here 'cause he for sure would have kicked yer ass. That car is a road course weapon, anybody who says otherwise needs to stop drinking the Mustang KoolAid. And results on the drag strip are too close to call, up to the driver in all cases. Maybe you got lucky my friend.

Car and Driver has the Camaro 1LE in their 10 best cars list, again, 3rd year in a row. They said the 1SS 1LE is the "sweet spot" for that car. And the LT-1 engine is in their 10 best engines list. The only thing Mustang in those lists is the GT350 Voodoo engine made the engine list in about 8th place.

The fact is Ford could have done more with the Mustang, made decisions not to and let Generous Motors harvest the platitudes. I have never owned a Chev but I give them full credit for what they've done with that car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ure-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-ss-zl1-coupes-page-4

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/power-play-the-10-greatest-engines-of-the-moment#10
Sponsored