Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
That's because the Camaro doesn't have a an actual power band.. :D

Sounds like you like to lug your car, or not use to using half the powerband to get around town. They way you describe/critique makes me wonder why you don't just get an automatic.

Subsequently, if you were on a technical track... you would notice the difference between the two engines matted to their transmissions.
Most of my cars have been high reving boosted cars. I don't lug them and have never owned an automatic.

Drive the cars back to back and come back and talk torque. The LT1 makes more torque and it is very noticeable when you drive the cars back to back. It's a 6.2L engine vs a 5.0. On the flip side, I liked how the Mustang keeps pulling after 5K rpm.

Their are pros and cons to both cars, the Camaro has more torque and is a better handling car, the Mustang is more comfortable and has better design and is more functional.

Some people place more empahsis on driving dynamics than others. Whether you track the car or not you can notice those driving dynamics just driving the two cars back to back on a good back road.

So I don't buy that the Camaro is only better at the track at the limits, people need to get out and actually drive the car. I am still torn between Mustang and Camaro. I would love to drive a PP2 Mustang just to compare (drove an 18 PP1) but I don't see any dealers near me with PP2's on the lot and they simply may not order many and it may strictly be a custom order type of car.
Sponsored

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
Straight line I take it? If there were corners involved, and the Camaro guy knew how to drive, you would not be posting the result here 'cause he for sure would have kicked yer ass. That car is a road course weapon, anybody who says otherwise needs to stop drinking the Mustang KoolAid. And results on the drag strip are too close to call, up to the driver in all cases. Maybe you got lucky my friend.

Car and Driver has the Camaro 1LE in their 10 best cars list, again, 3rd year in a row. They said the 1SS 1LE is the "sweet spot" for that car. And the LT-1 engine is in their 10 best engines list. The only thing Mustang in those lists is the GT350 Voodoo engine made the engine list in about 8th place.

The fact is Ford could have done more with the Mustang, made decisions not to and let Generous Motors harvest the platitudes. I have never owned a Chev but I give them full credit for what they've done with that car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ure-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-ss-zl1-coupes-page-4

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/power-play-the-10-greatest-engines-of-the-moment#10
Well give Ford a break, they can't always be on top performance wise. The last generation GT500 beat out the ZL1 and it looks like the next generation will too.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Straight line I take it? If there were corners involved, and the Camaro guy knew how to drive, you would not be posting the result here 'cause he for sure would have kicked yer ass. That car is a road course weapon, anybody who says otherwise needs to stop drinking the Mustang KoolAid. And results on the drag strip are too close to call, up to the driver in all cases. Maybe you got lucky my friend.

Car and Driver has the Camaro 1LE in their 10 best cars list, again, 3rd year in a row. They said the 1SS 1LE is the "sweet spot" for that car. And the LT-1 engine is in their 10 best engines list. The only thing Mustang in those lists is the GT350 Voodoo engine made the engine list in about 8th place.

The fact is Ford could have done more with the Mustang, made decisions not to and let Generous Motors harvest the platitudes. I have never owned a Chev but I give them full credit for what they've done with that car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...ure-chevrolet-camaro-v-6-ss-zl1-coupes-page-4

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/power-play-the-10-greatest-engines-of-the-moment#10
And Wards has the 2018 Coyote in it's top ten list. Top 10 lists are subjective and completely based on what aspects the magazine wants to push.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Straight line I take it? If there were corners involved ...
Ahh, the "what if's".

Reality dictates public roads have both straightaways and corners, and that 99.9% of pony car owners never make use of the "corners" even remotely as much as they do short straight stretches of road.

Reality.

"kicked yer @ss"
I'm guessing "The Dukes of Hazzard" is your favorite show. ;)

That car is a road course weapon, anybody who says otherwise needs to stop drinking the Mustang KoolAid.
That car is marginally better on a a road course, and sales reveal that no one cares. Anybody who says otherwise needs to stop drinking the magazine testers Kool-Aid.

Well give Ford a break, they can't always be on top performance wise ...
Ford is on top exactly where they know they need to be, with a car that appeals to customers, that will sell and make them profitable, so they will not be cancelled as the Camaro once was.

And Wards has the 2018 Coyote in it's top ten list. Top 10 lists are subjective and completely based on what aspects the magazine wants to push.
Truth.

Everyone of reason who's not biased recognizes that the Coyote will go down in history as a great engine, being wholly competitive against engines of larger displacement/cost.

Snagged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra, '17 Corrolla
Ford is on top exactly where they know they need to be, with a car that appeals to customers, that will sell and make them profitable, so they will not be cancelled as the Camaro once was.
I could not agree more. They have a comfortable product for daily driving, that is plenty fast and plenty capable when it comes to turns. They are selling a lot of Mustangs which indeed will keep the car alive for future generations AND profitable enough to give us those really fun toys in the form of the GT350, GT350R, GT500, Bullitt.... It's a formula they have used in the past and sticking with now.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I enjoy watching drag racing some but road racing has always been my favorite. I was born near the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee and enjoy chicanes and S-curves wherever I drive my pony. I am setting it up as an R/T car with BMR & Steeda parts. I'll let others do the straight line racing.

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars
It's a talking point for the Camaro guys that like to come on here and say, "Mustang sucks!"

That's really all. There is no big deal. They don't sell much. Dealers don't get over MSRP for them. You don't see them on the street (at least I've never seen one around here).

what you say is correct, they don't sell much, they don't demand over msrp but one thing you said is not correct is that Mustang sucks because they dont. The big deal is it kills the PP1 car, most likely beat the GT350 and should make the PP2 car sweat heavily all for less money.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
At the end of the day I think it all comes down to what you want to drive, these cars are so close. The stuff these magazines put out is all interesting but we are talking pro-level drivers that probably notice a lot more than the average driver does. So I dont take much stock into it. Some of you out there race so I get it, buy the best race machine you can for the money.

I personally dont care for the look of the Camaro, I was less than impressed by the interior, but when I test drove the car it was fast, faster than the Mustang - I honestly cant tell.

So big f'in deal. Buy and drive what makes you happy...not what makes someone else happy.

gmlt1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Fast street cars
Well give Ford a break, they can't always be on top performance wise. The last generation GT500 beat out the ZL1 and it looks like the next generation will too.

The 13 & 14 Gt500 did beat the 5th genZL1 in the 1/4 mile, but the 5th gen ZL1 had the edge on the road course track. The 6th gen ZL1 goes unchallenged by Mustang for the last few model years. The next gen GT500 with probably a 100 horse more than the dated 6th gen ZL1 and should beat it in the 1/4 mile, but it would be hard pressed to beat the ZL1 1LE on the track. Maybe Camaro will get smart and use the LT5 in a refresh ZL1 and be super competitive with the 700+ hpGT500 and watch the fireworks down the 1/4 mile.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The big deal is it kills the PP1 car, most likely beat the GT350 and should make the PP2 car sweat heavily all for less money.
The only head to head test with 1LE vs GT350, was at VIR. The Camaro was 3 seconds behind. Great track car for the money, but let's not exaggerate it.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
what you say is correct, they don't sell much, they don't demand over msrp but one thing you said is not correct is that Mustang sucks because they dont. The big deal is it kills the PP1 car, most likely beat the GT350 and should make the PP2 car sweat heavily all for less money.
I doubt it would beat the GT350 in a car vs. car comparison of all aspects of the car. I doubt it would beat it on the road course either. The GT350 has too much power on it. Maybe on a very small course or autocross where the GT350 can't use its power the Camaro might compete.

The 13 & 14 Gt500 did beat the 5th genZL1 in the 1/4 mile, but the 5th gen ZL1 had the edge on the road course track. The 6th gen ZL1 goes unchallenged by Mustang for the last few model years. The next gen GT500 with probably a 100 horse more than the dated 6th gen ZL1 and should beat it in the 1/4 mile, but it would be hard pressed to beat the ZL1 1LE on the track. Maybe Camaro will get smart and use the LT5 in a refresh ZL1 and be super competitive with the 700+ hpGT500 and watch the fireworks down the 1/4 mile.
The 6th gen ZL1 lost the comparisons I've seen when tested against the GT350R. And the ZL1 1LE is too impractical to really discuss as if it's a regular driver that people will buy and use often.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
The only head to head test with 1LE vs GT350, was at VIR. The Camaro was 3 seconds behind. Great track car for the money, but let's not exaggerate it.
That was the 350r, not the 350.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
That was the only head 2 head test between the 2 cars.
Many feel the 1le is close to the gt350 in performance, so giving 350r times and saying it as a gt350 beating the 1le by 3 sec. isn’t accurate. :thumbsup:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Many on Camaro6 feel the 1le is close to the gt350 in performance, so giving 350r times and saying it as a gt350 beating the 1le by 3 sec. isn’t accurate. :thumbsup:
What I got from your last post.:D
Sponsored