Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
Why aren’t 1LEs flying off the lot?
Same reason WRX out sold the better handling Evo. WRX was just a much more practical car.

Also, I just bought a Lightning Blue GT today and I have my Evo parked side by side with it. I have officially fulfilled by childhood car-dreams.
Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I recorded IMSA at VIR and watched it again yesterday. True road racing examples of the GT 350R and ZL1 Le ?? They both are road course worthy when modified for track conditions. Stock numbers I just don't care about much. See you in the twisty's!

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Because to anybody outside of the enthusiasts, the 1LE option is a waste of money if you won’t ever take advantage of the added handling performance it give the car ...
It's not just the 1LE's, it's the entire history of the Mustang/Camaro rivalry. Mustang has beaten Camaro sales 34 of the 44 years they've competed.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Why aren’t 1LEs flying off the lot?
From what I gather from several people who test drove them, unless you live somewhere with perfect roads, the ride is absolutely punishing making it a very expensive and not really viable option for a daily driver. If you want a dedicated track toy the Covette can be had for not much more money. It's a pure numbers car designed purely to dominate on the track to try to dive sales.

Because to anybody outside of the enthusiasts, the 1LE option is a waste of money if you won’t ever take advantage of the added handling performance it gives the car. The majority of buyers don’t care about track performance, they just want a nice looking car to put in their garage or be seen in.

Oh, noes! A factory-stock Camaro outperformed a factory stock Mustang at some trim level, how could you ever be seen driving the Ford? I mean, life revolves around driving the car with the best performance you can afford, right?
Nail -> Head

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
The 1LE ride isn’t absolutely punishing, especially with the magnetic ride set to touring.
It’s no harder to live with than a standard manual SS.

The Zl1 1LE ride is absolutely punishing.

I was thinking the same thing. My local dealer has them discounted too. If I was looking for a track car for 40-45K, I would just get a C6 Z06. You can even find them for cheaper than that with higher miles.
The 1LE can be had for $35k slightly used/low mile and still covered under warranty at the track.

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
All this "track" talk is causing people to lose focus.

Reality check:

Of the 81,866 Mustangs and 67,940 Camaros sold in 2017, how many do you think were tracked?

1% of Stangs would be 818, 1% of Camaros would be 679.

I seriously doubt that many. Am I wrong?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

Reality check:

Of the 81,866 Mustangs and 67,940 Camaros sold in 2017, how many do you think were tracked?

Indeed.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Love those one word responses.

So tell me exactly, where am I wrong?

I think even 1% is too generous ...
Haha, you misunderstand. I said, Indeed! :cheers:

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I was thinking the same thing. My local dealer has them discounted too. If I was looking for a track car for 40-45K, I would just get a C6 Z06. You can even find them for cheaper than that with higher miles.
My good buddy bought a c6 z06 with 100k miles and a new engine for 25k in June.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Reality check:

Honestly it's probably not that far off. And I'd also say the majority of those are V8 examples. Now do we want to include autocross in "tracked?" Because if not, I'd guess it's even less.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

Reality check:

The only way I could see that number being exceeded would be if you counted every kind of motorsport, (Autocross, Gymkahana, trackdays and Drag) and it wouldn't be by much.

Hence why the "inferior" and if you believe everything you read "more expensive after discounts" Mustang is handily outselling, the few 10ths quicker on a track Camaro. More to the point, why the old boat Challenger routinely gives it a run for it's money. You can't even begin to approach the performance envelope of any of them leagally on any public street in 99% of the world (I live in the only county left where you can come close). So why would most people put up with a harsher ride, worse interior room and ergonomics, worse trunk opening and worse visibility for capability 99% likely will never use.

15 years ago I would have thought the ride was good and called anyone who complained a whiner. There is also no way I could have afforded a near $50k car either. Now I'm 40 and found the ride in a 1SS borderline at best. I have not had a chance to ride in a 1LE but no doubt it will be more harsh. No doubt some much younger person reading this is calling me a wuss.

While I could now easily afford a $50k car, I now have the wisdom not to, It's a wonderful thing to own a car that only costs 4 months salary that won't shake fillings loose on the street and has enough power to hit 175 mph when I do get the opportunity to.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Anyone ever get to look at a Camaro and a Mustang side by side in the same lot..?

Anyone..?

IMO, One looks like a transformer toy, they other looks like a sophisticated modern V8.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Reality check:

Without any research, just thinking about how many Mustangs are at the road course when I attend, how many events those tracks have and how many tracks there are in the US, I would be extremely surprised if the number of cars wasn't higher.

But you easily could be right. I know it's expensive to track a car and many people don't want to take the risk of damaging their car.

To those on here that haven't taken their car to the track - I say you should do it. It's a lot of fun. You will realize that for the most part a second or two difference between cars' capabilities doesn't mean much compared to driver skill.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Without any research, just thinking about how many Mustangs are at the road course when I attend, how many events those tracks have and how many tracks there are in the US, I would be extremely surprised if the number of cars wasn't higher.

But you easily could be right. I know it's expensive to track a car and many people don't want to take the risk of damaging their car.

To those on here that haven't taken their car to the track - I say you should do it. It's a lot of fun. You will realize that for the most part a second or two difference between cars' capabilities doesn't mean much compared to driver skill.
I too noticed how many Mustangs I see at road course events. Hardly ever see Camaros. That should just be down to more people owning Mustangs than Camaros though :clap2:

I agree on taking your car to the track. It is easily the best fun I've had in a car and really showed how poor of a driver I am when it matters. I was passing cars that should be faster and cars I should be faster than were passing me like I was standing still.
Sponsored