Sponsored

MT-82 option!

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Except.you can buy a brand new TREMEC for $3200.
does it come with a driveshaft, clutch and flywheel for that price? and will it hold 1000wtq? for those of us that have already made the investment, a tremec doesn't make a lot of sense in light of this new gearset. oh and, there's that whole 30lbs+ weight gain thing too, for those of us on the journey to 3250 ;)
Sponsored

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Great to know this option exists now. I'm installing a Mantic twin disc along with Barton shifter this weekend and probably will try to find a spare mt-82 to send and get ready to go in case my stock one decides to retire lol. I really like the gearing of this gear set compared to tremec or magnum xl.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
does it come with a driveshaft, clutch and flywheel for that price? and will it hold 1000wtq? for those of us that have already made the investment, a tremec doesn't make a lot of sense in light of this new gearset. oh and, there's that whole 30lbs+ weight gain thing too, for those of us on the journey to 3250 ;)
Exactly, plus a shifter and different rear gears. I would guess on average the swap would be around $5500 if parts were bought new.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So you are going to pay $3000 for a gear upgrade and stick with the stock clutch, flywheel, and shifter?

All I'm saying is $3000 for rebuilt trans isn't a screaming value compared to a new $3200 transmission. Especially one as maligned as the MT-82.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
So you are going to pay $3000 for a gear upgrade and stick with the stock clutch, flywheel, and shifter?

All I'm saying is $3000 for rebuilt trans isn't a screaming value compared to a new $3200 transmission. Especially one as maligned as the MT-82.
i'm.... not sure the point you're trying to make. who said it was a screaming deal? and if you really think this is anything like an mt-82 (save for the case and tailshaft - there's a lot of bronze, welding and other enhancements that ben makes), you really haven't been listening or done enough research. and if you think *i* haven't done my due diligence, you really need to revisit my contributions, competition and build history here - all are well documented ;)

fwiw from a cost perspective, you'll be into a calimer gearset + mt-82 case and driveshaft/clutch/flywheel/shifter about the same amount as you would be with a magnum xl w/ driveshaft/clutch/flywheel/shifter/electronics.

if i was actually starting from scratch (which i'm obviously not), i'd still make the same decision. it weighs less, holds more power and has better gearing (for my purposes).

so what am i missing? :)

keep the shiny side up out there! :D

Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
so what if you have a good trans, is it any cheaper? or do you just pay 3k and then ship yours back?

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
so what if you have a good trans, is it any cheaper? or do you just pay 3k and then ship yours back?
you'd have to talk with ben. i gave him an absolutely trashed donor transmission (unbeknownst at the time of purchase, but for less than $300, i wasn't expecting much), so i didn't even have that discussion with him. i'd imagine if you have good internals, that there'd be some core value to reduce the price, but i'm only guessing.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you'd have to talk with ben. i gave him an absolutely trashed donor transmission (unbeknownst at the time of purchase, but for less than $300, i wasn't expecting much), so i didn't even have that discussion with him. i'd imagine if you have good internals, that there'd be some core value to reduce the price, but i'm only guessing.
yeah, i'll give him a call next week, i dont mind giving him a core charge till i send him mine back, but it would be pretty pricey if i had to source one just to ship it to get it done

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
yeah, i'll give him a call next week, i dont mind giving him a core charge till i send him mine back, but it would be pretty pricey if i had to source one just to ship it to get it done
protip: ask some of the guys on here from pennsylvania if they have one to sell. i found one from a guy less than an hour from ben that had been sitting on a spare that he didn't need any longer; he dropped it off on his doorstep. saves on shipping one way at least. which for me (being on the other side of the country), saved a bunch! also check s197forum, srtperformance, mustangevolution and other popular s197 sites for cheap donors. unfortunately, ben isn't in the business of sourcing mt-82s any longer, so you might be hard pressed to get him to build you something without sending one in first.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
protip: ask some of the guys on here from pennsylvania if they have one to sell. i found one from a guy less than an hour from ben that had been sitting on a spare that he didn't need any longer; he dropped it off on his doorstep. saves on shipping one way at least. which for me (being on the other side of the country), saved a bunch! also check s197forum, srtperformance, mustangevolution and other popular s197 sites for cheap donors. unfortunately, ben isn't in the business of sourcing mt-82s any longer, so you might be hard pressed to get him to build you something without sending one in first.
where is he located? cant find any address on that fb page

Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
where is he located? cant find any address on that fb page
not sure he wants his information put on blast for all to see.. when the time comes, he'll tell you where to ship it.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not sure he wants his information put on blast for all to see.. when the time comes, he'll tell you where to ship it.
uh yeah thats exactly what we need to see..i was just looking for a state at this point...