Sponsored

Motor trend track test

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-track-test-review

"Is the CFTP worth the bucks? If you plan to track your Shelby, absolutely yes. We saw about a 5-second decrease in lap times, with the same horsepower, which is huge. Does the standard version work? Also absolutely yes. These GT500s both move well from street to race course. The Carbon package just offers better everything.

The incredible performance capability of these two new Shelbys moves the Mustang into the supercar realm, it pleases me to claim. They will not disappoint. In fact, they both provide such thrills that they are a good value even at these prices, driving with confidence-inspiring and consistent speed that is rare to find at any price."
Sponsored

Last edited:

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Great review, now what will the haters/non-believers say?!

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
FIVE SECONDS faster than the Base car...wow, that IS impressive.
170 mph how long is the straight in VIR ? This is amazing review but 5 seconds there is no way Cup 2 are that much faster than MP4s so the Aero and the suspension did the rest of the magic.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Most that track a Base will upgrade the tire and the Cup2 is likely to be used as a replacement. Camber changes, as in increased negative camber, are another likely change. I suspect those changes alone would make up the bulk of of this near 5 second lap difference...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Surely they mean BASE BASE - not track package. I suspect the track package gets a lot of the same hunkered down suspension parts that they CFTP gets.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Glowing review from Randy Pobst. You guys are going to love your cars! Hopefully more of you will receive them soon!

Sponsored
OP
OP

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Most that track a Base will upgrade the tire and the Cup2 is likely to be used as a replacement. Camber changes, as in increased negative camber, are another likely change. I suspect those changes alone would make up the bulk of of this near 5 second lap difference...
good points, i wonder how much faster we can make the CFTP. A little more on the table with tires in the base, but it does not have aero, CF wheels. Is the camber different between CFTP and base?

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Nice review, too bad there are no lap times.

I think also you'll get most of that difference made up when you get the base with handling pack, add camber plates, and swap wheels / tires.

Will be interesting to see what comes available for strut tuning from the aftermarket / springs from Ford Performance for base owners to step up their handling if they want.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Surely they mean BASE BASE - not track package. I suspect the track package gets a lot of the same hunkered down suspension parts that they CFTP gets.
good question, I was wondering the same thing. I’d love to see him have the SC2 tires on the base. I bet that’d cut the difference to like 1.5-2 sec

I am hoping they did multiple car testing at VIR and we’ll get the results. They just tested the C8 there as well.
Sponsored