Sponsored

Motor trend track test

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
Time to grab a bucket of popped corn and do some lurking over on C6G :giggle:
It'll be pretty boring. Same old tired stances by the same couple of folks. There is, however, one guy who seems to think FoMOCo has some sort of ability to restrict MotorTrend from publishing a lap time at VIR. It's always some conspiracy promoted on that site.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Surely they mean BASE BASE - not track package. I suspect the track package gets a lot of the same hunkered down suspension parts that they CFTP gets.
Outside of the aero and wheels/tires isn't the underlying suspesion the same between base, TP, & CFTP

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There are spring rate and bar differences between the two. Handling Package and Base without it look to use the same suspension hardware as one another.

2020 GT500 bar and spring rates-L.jpg

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Good to know! Thanks I hadn't seen that. So the regular track package gets the base springs and bars? They really should have added a third column for Track Package, but probably didn't want people to know its the same stuff as base.

Does anybody know does the CFTP car sit lower?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford lists the CFTP as having a 1/2" lower ride height, IIRC.

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Nope
Surely they mean BASE BASE - not track package. I suspect the track package gets a lot of the same hunkered down suspension parts that they CFTP gets.
It a handling package , you can see in the pictures the second car has front splitter wickers and a gurney flap . So it’s a handling package base . Sorry base guys but aero from the GT4 wing , carbon wheels, and the different damper settings taking advantage of this matters .
upload_2019-12-5_11-59-0.jpeg

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found the height difference in the eSourcebook from Ford.

20191205_115536.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The wickers have no effect on the ride height numbers from Ford. Do they reduce ground clearance? They do.

Ride height difference comes from either the different springs (Base vs CFTP), a decrease in tire diameter (Cup2 vs 4S), or a combination of the two.

This is painful knowing they could have mounted a Cup2 on a Base car at the track. Yeah, yeah, the suspension wouldn't be optimized for that specific combination but I'd still like to have seen the Base run on a Cup2.

Screenshot_20191205-122458_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
The wickers have no effect on the ride height numbers from Ford. Do they reduce ground clearance? They do.

Ride height difference comes from either the different springs (Base vs CFTP), a decrease in tire diameter (Cup2 vs 4S), or a combination of the two.

This is painful knowing they could have mounted a Cup2 on a Base car at the track. Yeah, yeah, the suspension wouldn't be optimized for that specific combination but I'd still like to have seen the Base run on a Cup2.

Screenshot_20191205-122458_Chrome.jpg
Totally agree with you. On this track the wing and areo definitely have an impact, but I think the tires could have shaved 3-4 seconds off the base car lap.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Really fallen in love with the base wing, that gurney flap looks cool af.
If you're in a base car and worried it won't be as fast on the track, just get more seat time, buy some forgelines and slicks. Forgeline can make smaller diameter wheels that fit the large brakes. Can go down to 19s all around.

Plenty of mods you can do on this car to get weight down and get track performance to surpass the CFTP GT500 without spending +94k.

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
It'll be pretty boring. Same old tired stances by the same couple of folks. There is, however, one guy who seems to think FoMOCo has some sort of ability to restrict MotorTrend from publishing a lap time at VIR. It's always some conspiracy promoted on that site.
BlaqWhole said:
If, and I mean "IF", the car really is doing mid 10s, then I would not doubt those dyno numbers. Because a mid 10 is too fast for 760 crank HP. And I don't care who built the trans or what kind of trans it has. 760 HP does not translate to 750 RWHP under any circumstances. It just doesn't. If those dyno readings are correct, then the GT500 is underrated even worse than the Redeye. The REs at 797 have been seeing 680 to low 700s in some cases. But they are not even close to 750. If a car that has 37 less engine HP is dynoing approx 50 more RWHP then at this point HP ratings might as well mean nothing. Even the Demon on the Race tune doesn't dyno that high and we're talking about 840 crank HP.

If all this is legit then I suspect the GT500 is closer to approx 900 HP at the engine. Ford must have pulled a lot of strings to get this passed. Now THAT is something I would be impressed with. A 900 HP engine with a full warranty for $74K. If that is the case then I will give them props on that. But even so it still kinda screws things up because there is no consistency in numbers anymore. From here out they could build cars with 800 RWHP and claim it is rated at 600 HP.
See what I mean? LOL!

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
See what I mean? LOL!
Did he not watch the video? His first run was a low 11 with zero experience and a passenger, etc. It's a stock car on stock everything. I guess the track is lying :)