Miles on odometer from factory?

bloomerfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My buddy picked up his 2022 Mustang GT today. It had 9 miles on odometer. Dealer said they may have put 1/2 mile on odometer which I believe. Do the odometers have miles on the already at install? Where are the putting these miles on car at? Just curious
Sponsored

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
The vehicles are driven from the factory to storage lots then to shipping locations, sometimes driven on and off different shipping vessels to filter vehicles to their individual destinations. 9 miles is fairly normal.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Mine had 19 from the dealer. (Including my test drive) I know I know, not a pre order but gives some relevance. The salesman ripped on it like hell during the test drive. Harder than I drove it but I guess he thought he needed to sell me on the car I already came to buy. Who knows how many other test drives before me but at 19 miles I figured can't be too many.... Anyway, 72k miles and lots of abuse later and it's still running strong so I wouldn't sweat 9 miles too much.

Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
20160712_134305.jpg
20160712_135137.jpg
7 mi. Mine was still in transportation mode when I took it out for the test drive. It was built on February 2nd and I bought it on June 28th.

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Mine had 6 before my test drive. It was in the showroom before my drive.

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
Mine had 5 including my test drive. I watched them roll it off the delivery truck. I was there looking at different vehicles and saw it in on the truck with a few others and told them I’ll take it!

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I think I had like 12km on mine, I told the dealer when I was buying my wife’s new car that if it came with over 20km that I would consider it a demo and ask for a further discount lol.
When we got it, he remembered what I told him and we laughed about it because it had 14km on the clock.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
As far as I know, Ford dealers can turn the odometer back to zero three times, provided it hasn't yet exceeded 50 km. This is meant precisely so that the customer receives his or her car without those extra test miles. However, for some reason they never seem to do it. In all my live I have never heard anyone say, "I picked up my car with zero miles on the clock". Why not? Beats me.

Two things strike me.
First, all the usual explanations (e.g. driving from the factory to the storage lot, loading and unloading on and from the truck, etc.) do not seem to explain the high number of miles on a new car's odometer. How far can the storage lot be from the factory? A couple hundred yards, perhaps? A mile at most? Loading the car on the delivery truck is just a matter of a few yards. So how does this explain nine miles?
Second, that we use to fret about the break-in period, what's the best way to do it, how not to do anything that could be even remotely unhealthy for the engine, when in fact the very first miles in the engine's life are done in the worst possible manner - start the engine, drive ten yards up a ramp, stop the engine, rinse and repeat. That's the worst thing you can do to an engine.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some (all ?) cars get to drive around the test track too :

1657094218061.png

I'm not sure if the bigger loop is still in use :

1657094283876.png

Exports also get a little more mileage due to the extra loading / unloading depending on the final destination - rail / boat / sometimes a second boat / customs / transporter / sometimes a second transporter + the size of the yards at each of those locations.

WD :like:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Eight miles at pick-up for Skye, which I think is pretty normal for any car. The individual runs do seem short, but there are so many from lots, within lots, trains, trucks, etc. Then the dealer; they sometimes make a short run in the area as part of the inspection process and to get gas.

Regarding engine break-in, not concerned, but admittedly, we'd probably all shriek if we witnessed some of the things we don't get to see as the car is moved from point-to-point. For all I know, Skye was left idling for an hour while someone ate their lunch in her, listening to the radio with the A/C on.

I know of several high-end makers who do all engine break-ins at the factory, on the dyno. But these are extreme examples.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bloomerfan

bloomerfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As far as I know, Ford dealers can turn the odometer back to zero three times, provided it hasn't yet exceeded 50 km. This is meant precisely so that the customer receives his or her car without those extra test miles. However, for some reason they never seem to do it. In all my live I have never heard anyone say, "I picked up my car with zero miles on the clock". Why not? Beats me.

Two things strike me.
First, all the usual explanations (e.g. driving from the factory to the storage lot, loading and unloading on and from the truck, etc.) do not seem to explain the high number of miles on a new car's odometer. How far can the storage lot be from the factory? A couple hundred yards, perhaps? A mile at most? Loading the car on the delivery truck is just a matter of a few yards. So how does this explain nine miles?
Second, that we use to fret about the break-in period, what's the best way to do it, how not to do anything that could be even remotely unhealthy for the engine, when in fact the very first miles in the engine's life are done in the worst possible manner - start the engine, drive ten yards up a ramp, stop the engine, rinse and repeat. That's the worst thing you can do to an engine.
I agree it doesn’t make sense to have maybe more the a mile or so on odometer. Just weird for every car to have 5 or more miles on odometer. I can’t help but think the odometers already have a few miles already when installed at factory. It’s not that big deal just curious where they could get manpower to drive 5 miles on every cars built.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
10 or 12 miles after it was delivered . I know they took it off site to fill it with gas. MY salesmen seemed like a mature guy and probably enjoyed the ride.
If a car could be damaged in 10 miles I would t buy one.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Minimum mileage on a new mustang is 1.8 miles. 2.0 - 2.5 is normal. (My '05 had 2.2 when I drove it off the delivery truck) Sometimes they will pull a car off the line and drive it on the track approximately 25 miles for random quality control checks. When this happens, Ford will put a sticker on one the car's windows stating this.

No, dealers can't just " turn the odometer back to zero". Not even once. At least not legally.

There aren't any miles on the odometer before it's installed.
Sponsored