Sponsored

"Mild" cat-back exhaust recommendations needed

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm new to modding cars, so I'm not going for anything too crazy. However, I've now had 8 months with my '17 Mustang GT and the only thing I don't like about it is how quiet it is (except on cold start).

It's my daily driver and my neighborhood is quiet, so I'm looking for a somewhat mild cat-back exhaust -- just something that will let it breathe a bit more and sound more aggressive than stock when I step on it.

I've narrowed it down to these three and would love any feedback from those who have or have had these:
Magnaflow Foose: https://www.americanmuscle.com/foose-by-magnaflow-cat-back-exhaust-1517-gt.html
Magnaflow Street: https://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaflow-street-cat-back-2015gt.html
Borla Touring: https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla-touring-catback-2015gt.html

For those who might know -- is the Magnaflow Foose MUCH louder than the Street?

I am also open to other recommendations you might have. TIA!
Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
my personal preference was the AWE touring. i loved the sound and its volume. not as loud as a corsa extreme but has a great tone and know its not stock

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Like everyone else who did this I poured over catback exhaust kits until I was blue in the face, but I'm not an expert. However, I can tell you what I've learned so far.

Assuming that installation, quality, diameter, and configuration of the X-pipe delete are comparable it seems to be two parameters that impact this:

1. Loudness - of course everyone who doesn't have neighbors (or do and don't care if they wake them up at 5am) will go with the "competition" style systems that minimize the muffler configuration at the exhaust tips with an X pipe to delete the resonator and give them maximum attention-getting additions to their presence and HP. I think a bit more muffler back there to do what it's supposed to do may be a better choice for those who want a performance boost, but don't want to draw the attention of law enforcement.

2. Pulse - at cruise speeds some of these setups that give you all of your extra ponies at higher RPM and at lower speeds, but at higher speeds can introduce a resonating pulse that makes you want to stab your ear drums with a screw driver. I've heard the Magnaflow Competitions do this at higher speeds as well as others even though their quality seems to be top-notch. They're just meant for different purposes than hitting the highway and going 75-80 for long periods.

Given those two factors any "tame" street system will then be selected on how they sound to the buyer. Do you like the sound or not? Tons of YouTube videos in your future then, or maybe a meet-up to get a sample sound from other drivers. I like the Magnaflow Streets myself, but I'm waiting until I can get a good deal on a setup somewhere somehow. I thought Magnaflow Foose were a customized version of the competitions? I also have to admit I missed the Borla Touring setup. More videos for me too, then.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I went through this not long ago as well - watched so many videos, and spent time at a few local meet ups asking other Mustang (and other makes) enthusiasts about their setups. That, meeting in person and listening, was *by far* the most useful for me. Beyond that, my personal view is:

If you mess with the mid-pipe (resonator) you will get allot of volume. So if you go with an X or H, and combine that either as part of a custom piece you pick out, or as part of a set (full cat-back) it will be louder than you think it will. If you want "tame" then you must either leave the factor resonator or go with something like the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe or perhaps some bullet resonators (haven't heard those in person). From there, a "touring" type muffler will be quieter.

So to simplify, if you want tame, touring + resonated mid-pipe setup. Volume will only go up from there....

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
none of those, Solo Mach XV. Cheaper and better sounding than magnaflow's listed IMO. And Borla would never get a cent of my money out of principle seeing the terrible build quality of their header on the 86 platform.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
any street or touring would work fine, to give you a little extra,

corsa touring axle back, borla touring, mag street, mbrp street

let me know if we can assist at all

Botlfed98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
i have the HURST (flowmaster) catback....I would say it's probably one of the tamest not obnoxious but awesome sounding exhaust system! I would recommend checking it out.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
My recommendation is to keep the stock resonator in place, save $ and go with an axle-back.

The stock res is a resonated H-pipe and is straight through in construction so it's not a hindrance to flow at all on an otherwise 2.5" system.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My recommendation is to keep the stock resonator in place, save $ and go with an axle-back.

The stock res is a resonated H-pipe and is straight through in construction so it's not a hindrance to flow at all on an otherwise 2.5" system.
This.

Once I saw in a post that the stock resonator was flow through, I had no interest in swapping. I went FRPP Touring with the stock resonator and couldn't be happier. No rasp!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This.

Once I saw in a post that the stock resonator was flow through, I had no interest in swapping. I went FRPP Touring with the stock resonator and couldn't be happier. No rasp!
This or Corsa Touring axleback would be my recommendation. The Borla S-type axleback would also be good.

Borla Touring is the mildest catback, from what I've come to know, though is very close in sound and volume to just the axleback with stock resonator.

Sponsored
OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Like everyone else who did this I poured over catback exhaust kits until I was blue in the face, but I'm not an expert. However, I can tell you what I've learned so far.

Assuming that installation, quality, diameter, and configuration of the X-pipe delete are comparable it seems to be two parameters that impact this:

1. Loudness - of course everyone who doesn't have neighbors (or do and don't care if they wake them up at 5am) will go with the "competition" style systems that minimize the muffler configuration at the exhaust tips with an X pipe to delete the resonator and give them maximum attention-getting additions to their presence and HP. I think a bit more muffler back there to do what it's supposed to do may be a better choice for those who want a performance boost, but don't want to draw the attention of law enforcement.

2. Pulse - at cruise speeds some of these setups that give you all of your extra ponies at higher RPM and at lower speeds, but at higher speeds can introduce a resonating pulse that makes you want to stab your ear drums with a screw driver. I've heard the Magnaflow Competitions do this at higher speeds as well as others even though their quality seems to be top-notch. They're just meant for different purposes than hitting the highway and going 75-80 for long periods.

Given those two factors any "tame" street system will then be selected on how they sound to the buyer. Do you like the sound or not? Tons of YouTube videos in your future then, or maybe a meet-up to get a sample sound from other drivers. I like the Magnaflow Streets myself, but I'm waiting until I can get a good deal on a setup somewhere somehow. I thought Magnaflow Foose were a customized version of the competitions? I also have to admit I missed the Borla Touring setup. More videos for me too, then.
If you're going to look at the Borla Touring, also look at the Ford Performance by Borla Touring cat-back. Seems like they're identical except for the FP version has an X-pipe instead of a resonator, thus making it a bit louder (but it's still on the lower end of the loudness scale for cat-backs, from what I gather).

Ahhh, decisions, decisions...

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I have the Borla Touring cat-back (resonated h-pipe), imho...it’s just perfect.
Cold starts are deep and muscular...a substantial improvement over stock.
Then it settles down to a nice burble.
On the road, it’s very smooth and enjoyable, but when you give it some pedal, the sound picks up to a very pleasant, deep and throaty song.
The tonal quality in any rpm range just makes me smile.
And...there is never any drone. Or any rasp!!
Build quality and fitment are top-notch.

Have Magnaflow Street cat-back on the ‘08...deep, but boomy tone and not much more volume when compared to stock.

I strongly recommend the Borla Touring cat-back.

The factory resonator is heavy.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Damnit. I thought I had my decision made. :)

OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Damnit. I thought I had my decision made. :)
What's in your short list?

I like all of the ones I mentioned in my OP plus the Ford Racing by Borla Touring, but the more I listen to videos, the more I get confused.

One factor to consider is whether it's 304 or 409 steel. 409 is fine if you don't regularly encounter water, snow, and salt, but 304 will be better if you do encounter those regularly. The Borlas are 304 and the Magnaflows are 409, so I'm leaning towards the Borla Touring or FR by Borla Touring right now.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Why not just get an axle back or eliminate the middle resonator for an H-pipe? Save HUNDREDS and get a similar sound.
Sponsored