"Mild" cat-back exhaust recommendations needed

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Cat backs offer literally zero HP gains. The only performance advantage is the weight loss, and even that isnt anything you will feel.
Yep, really wasn't counting on that anyway. This is all mostly trying to make the car sound like we think it should sound like.

Still I think the Solo Mach XV setup is the winner.
Sponsored

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
I have the MBRP street and love it. As everyone says, it's quiet enough when you are just cruising, but it can get fairly nasty when you open it up. I'll take the weight savings as an added bonus, but the best part about a catback is the easy install. No cutting..

I will admit that I relied on YT vids to compare sounds. In the end, I liked spending half the coin and was comfortable pulling the trigger due to all the positive reviews.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I have the MBRP street and love it. As everyone says, it's quiet enough when you are just cruising, but it can get fairly nasty when you open it up. I'll take the weight savings as an added bonus, but the best part about a catback is the easy install. No cutting..

I will admit that I relied on YT vids to compare sounds. In the end, I liked spending half the coin and was comfortable pulling the trigger due to all the positive reviews.
Cool. Was drone much of an issue at higher speeds on the highway?

OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium

That was in my initial list because it sounds great and is half the price of a Borla/AWE/Magnaflow, but the aluminized steel construction just won't work for me... the Mustang is my daily driver in metro Detroit, so it's exposed to a lot of rain, snow, and salt. Aluminized steel would probably start rusting after just one or two winters. I need a full stainless steel construction, and preferably 304 grade.

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT
Cool. Was drone much of an issue at higher speeds on the highway?
I can't recall having any drone at any speed/rpm so far, though I've only put about 500 miles on it so far.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That was in my initial list because it sounds great and is half the price of a Borla/AWE/Magnaflow, but the aluminized steel construction just won't work for me... the Mustang is my daily driver in metro Detroit, so it's exposed to a lot of rain, snow, and salt. Aluminized steel would probably start rusting after just one or two winters. I need a full stainless steel construction, and preferably 304 grade.
There are not really any truly mild catback options in full 304 stainless. Corsa, AWE and Solo are, but it sounds like they might be a tad much for you. I think you'd honestly be happiest with an axleback in terms of sound. Corsa Touring would have a great rumble when you get on it, but completely fades away when cruising and is only somewhat loud in the cabin at WOT. With the resonator in place, cold starts wouldn't even be that loud. There is no exhaust I've heard yet that can switch on/off with your right foot like Corsa. I also cannot tolerate excessive cabin noise/boom regardless of drone, so I got rid of my first catback after 3 months.

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygHy7wWYMw
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGABDKSD-Tg
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abhwl_kpK3w

STEVO 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT

That's a great point. I mainly drive a SUV in the winter so I was not very concerned, though it looks like they make a T409 version:

https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/mbrp-s7277409.html

OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
There are not really any truly mild catback options in full 304 stainless. Corsa, AWE and Solo are, but it sounds like they might be a tad much for you. I think you'd honestly be happiest with an axleback in terms of sound. Corsa Touring would have a great rumble when you get on it, but completely fades away when cruising and is only somewhat loud in the cabin at WOT. With the resonator in place, cold starts wouldn't even be that loud. There is no exhaust I've heard yet that can switch on/off with your right foot like Corsa. I also cannot tolerate excessive cabin noise/boom regardless of drone, so I got rid of my first catback after 3 months.

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygHy7wWYMw
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGABDKSD-Tg
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abhwl_kpK3w
Borla and Ford Racing by Borla cat-backs are 304 stainless as well. I'd be okay with 409, though -- just not aluminized.

AWE Touring is probably my favorite sound so far, but definitely louder than the milder Borla and Magnaflow systems...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Ok, I think I found a new front-runner:

No mufflers down near the valance. The muffler and x-pipe are all one unit where the stock resonator would go. J-pipes take the real estate normally taken up by the mufflers. Interesting, and it sounds amazing.

I can't seem to find any HP numbers with this system tho.
I'm sorry, but when listening to the video of the car at 2000 RPM in that video, there absolutely is drone....and the exhaust is quite noticeable at 2000 RPM at steady state. You have to keep in mind, different people have different sensitivities to sounds.

In comparison, my Corsa sport is almost dead quiet at steady state speeds under no load. In the video below, you can clearly hear the road noise over the exhaust....which is how it should be in a drone free setup.

[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Borla and Ford Racing by Borla cat-backs are 304 stainless as well. I'd be okay with 409, though -- just not aluminized.

AWE Touring is probably my favorite sound so far, but definitely louder than the milder Borla and Magnaflow systems...
Have you heard any in person? That's always the best way.

Sponsored
OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Have you heard any in person? That's always the best way.
I heard the Borla Touring on an EcoBoost and it sounded better than my stock 5.0 exhaust, which is just sad haha.

Haven't heard the rest, unfortunately. I was at a cars & coffee this Saturday but everyone I talked to had these insanely loud systems like the Corsa Xtreme and Borla ATAK, which sound fantastic but just aren't for me... sigh.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I heard the Borla Touring on an EcoBoost and it sounded better than my stock 5.0 exhaust, which is just sad haha.

Haven't heard the rest, unfortunately. I was at a cars & coffee this Saturday but everyone I talked to had these insanely loud systems like the Corsa Xtreme and Borla ATAK, which sound fantastic but just aren't for me... sigh.
I went from the Xtreme to the Sport last fall, and had a few different other combinations before that. The Xtreme was giggle-inducing to drive but was too loud for me to DD. The sport has all the aggression of the Xtreme when you want, but is deeper, richer and toned down quite a bit. Cold start definitely has some volume but it isn't wake up the dead like the Xtreme was when cold weather came.
Sponsored