"Mild" cat-back exhaust recommendations needed

OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Why not just get an axle back or eliminate the middle resonator for an H-pipe? Save HUNDREDS and get a similar sound.
Not going for just sound. Also like the easier install.
Sponsored

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
What's in your short list?

I like all of the ones I mentioned in my OP plus the Ford Racing by Borla Touring, but the more I listen to videos, the more I get confused.

One factor to consider is whether it's 304 or 409 steel. 409 is fine if you don't regularly encounter water, snow, and salt, but 304 will be better if you do encounter those regularly. The Borlas are 304 and the Magnaflows are 409, so I'm leaning towards the Borla Touring or FR by Borla Touring right now.
After going around and around listening to videos and talking to people back in Feb. it was Magnaflow Street catback all the way.

Then I heard The American Thunder Flowmaster setup, and I'm debating whether to take that one in. I've worked on old chevy small blocks and trucks for years and flowmasters have always been awesome. I also checked out AWE Touring, and I'm back on the merry-go-round again.

I didn't like how the Borla Touring system sounded AT ALL. Nope.

We get lots of surface rust up here but hardy enough snow to worry about salt.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
none of those, Solo Mach XV. Cheaper and better sounding than magnaflow's listed IMO. And Borla would never get a cent of my money out of principle seeing the terrible build quality of their header on the 86 platform.
OP, don't overlook this post, definitely do some research on Solo products :)

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The Solo Mach XV sounds badass, but it's definitely not what I'm looking for. It's louder than I'm comfortable. The Mustang is my daily driver, and I think I'd get sick of hearing it in the cabin. I also live in a quiet neighborhood and leave for work early, and I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't appreciate that.

pike1346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Why not just get an axle back or eliminate the middle resonator for an H-pipe? Save HUNDREDS and get a similar sound.
I did this. I wanted a bit louder and deeper that stock, no rasp, and no drone. After a year of searching, I have the RTR Street Axle Back with an H-Pipe. Every cat back for these cars is too loud (for me). I would say start with the axle back, if not enough rumble for you, get the H-Pipe.

I was looking at the Foose Magnaflow system, but it too is loud from comments I read about it. Videos are not the way to decide what exhaust to buy.....

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Ok, I think I found a new front-runner:

[ame]

No mufflers down near the valance. The muffler and x-pipe are all one unit where the stock resonator would go. J-pipes take the real estate normally taken up by the mufflers. Interesting, and it sounds amazing.

I can't seem to find any HP numbers with this system tho.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Ok, I think I found a new front-runner:

No mufflers down near the valance. The muffler and x-pipe are all one unit where the stock resonator would go. J-pipes take the real estate normally taken up by the mufflers. Interesting, and it sounds amazing.

I can't seem to find any HP numbers with this system tho.
Cat backs offer literally zero HP gains. The only performance advantage is the weight loss, and even that isnt anything you will feel.

Sponsored

PanicSwitch89

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Manual PP1 RC
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also looking for something similar that is not too much. Have you checked out Krona?

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
This mbrp xp system I installed made my car that has long tubes and no cats sound like it has a stock style system until I open it up.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Don't do what I did....

SW Long Tube Headers
Magnaflow Competitions
No Cats
No Resonators

Sounds amazing at idle or normal driving but any RPM above that it sounds terrible. Rasp and Drone are horrible. Just bought some resonators in the hopes that will help.

jhenley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-150
Is the Roush quad-tip axleback relatively tame? Got my wife a GT, but it’s her DD and will be our road trip vehicle, so she doesn’t want to be the obnoxious neighbor or drone down the interstate, but we would like a little more sound than stock. I don’t think she likes a lot of rasp, either, but I was thinking as long as the cats and stock resonator are in place, we won’t be too loud.
Sponsored