Sponsored

Michelin PS4S's are out of stock. What to get now?

WHich to get?

• Total voters

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's are out of stock and no ETA given by Discount and end of year given by TireRack. They do, however, have the Firestone Indy 500's or the Continental ExtremeContact Sports available. I had a puncture on my stock PS4S up front so I took the opportunity to square up the wheels/tires by adding a set of rear wheels up front. I have to choose between the Indy 500's or the Conti Sports.

Which would you choose?
Sponsored

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'd choose the continental if you're used to PS4, the indy 500 is basically Bridgestone mid range rubber. It's really good overall but it's not as good as the premium offerings.
Funny you mention Bridgestone. Here's their newest player in the game. Tirerack predicts they test very near the Mickies and the Contis. Priced same as the Conti.

Potenza SPORT (bridgestonetire.com)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Funny you mention Bridgestone. Here's their newest player in the game. Tirerack predicts they test very near the Mickies and the Contis. Priced same as the Conti.

Potenza SPORT (bridgestonetire.com)
Looks pretty good. In other markets the Indy 500 is called the Potenza RE003. Good tire, I've enjoyed them. But I can't imagine they are quite as good as what you're used to.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
In actual Motorsports (autocross) the continental has proven rain performance. The Indy 500 has proven that it’s not fun. I’ve raced both tires dry and wet. ECS is the winner, I’ve purchased them twice so far.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
In actual Motorsports (autocross) the continental has proven rain performance. The Indy 500 has proven that it’s not fun. I’ve raced both tires dry and wet. ECS is the winner, I’ve purchased them twice so far.
They were my first consideration but I wanted to make sure their price is worth it.
It's funny but the Continental's are $50 less than the Michelin's and the Indy is $50 less than the Continental.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The Conti is very similar to the Michelin.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I have used PS4S on my (now gone) Boss 302 and now on my GT350R. Have a set of the new Bridgestone Potenza Sports on my Civic Type R currently. Hard to compare because they are on such different cars but the Bridgestones feel stickier and, after a good backroad cornering session, show scuffing and wear in ways that the Michelins never seem to. I do really like feel and precision of the Potenzas.

OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks, y'all! I've decided to give the Continentals a go. Discount Tire is having a black Friday sale starting soon and combined with the manufacturer's rebate and hopefully the Discount Tire/Synchrony card discount I will basically get one tire free (buying 4). I will go ahead and replace the rears since they have about 10K miles on them now.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Good choice they perform really well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stungjoe

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Good choice they perform really well.
I'm hoping so. The Michelins have me very spoiled but I'm keeping an objective mindset. I will also have to remember the cooler temps will not help first impressions.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I'm hoping so. The Michelins have me very spoiled but I'm keeping an objective mindset. I will also have to remember the cooler temps will not help first impressions.
Having run both I prefer the Conti. They are both really good tires. You may have a different opinion after some miles of driving them but I think you’ll be satisfied.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The main thing I dont like about the indy 500s is they have no rim protection and they run narrow. My rim got chipped up by rocks because the 305 35 20 was too narrow for my 20x11 wheels. Pretty good grip though. Havent tried the continental, but I would like to.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Thanks, y'all! I've decided to give the Continentals a go. Discount Tire is having a black Friday sale starting soon and combined with the manufacturer's rebate and hopefully the Discount Tire/Synchrony card discount I will basically get one tire free (buying 4). I will go ahead and replace the rears since they have about 10K miles on them now.
how are you liking the continentals?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I will NEVER buy ANY Firestone.
Sponsored