Sponsored

Michelin Pilot 4S road hazard susceptibility

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
I'm curious to see if there's any trend to susceptibility of the PP1 tires to picking up punctures. I've been doing the summer/winter tire thing since 1997. I've been doing the same commute since 2004. From 2004 to 2018, I've picked up nails or other metal objects twice in that 14 years. In 3200 miles on my Mustang since May of this year, I've gotten a puncture in my left rear tire twice. The first one required a new tire ("too close to edge"). Less than 300 miles later, I've got another puncture in the new tire before it even got broken in (this time in one of the center grooves, so repairable). Right now, I'm chalking it up to bad luck/statistical improbability realized....Maybe I should play the lottery this week... Not sure if I should have bought the "tire and wheel insurance" - I always decline that stuff without paying attention to the price, since I know it's always a gamble in the dealer's favor....Maybe not "always" this time around.
Sponsored

68&18_Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 & 2018 GT's
I had a large screw in the driver side front tire within 2 weeks of picking my 2018 PP1 up (end of June). Was repairable but was wondering the same thing (how susceptible these Michelin 4S tires are).

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Soft summer tires + road hazards = no fun

Might be worth getting road hazard warranty from dealership on sale of car or replacement sale of tires.

rickdrews5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Prem / PP
These tires seem to be like giant lint rollers. Both of my rear tires picked up a nail each, first was in first month of driving the car - think I picked it up in the Home Depot parking lot. Turns out that tire was also defective and replaced through warranty as it had slight bubbles in the sidewall. The other happened just a few weekends ago, knew immediately after passing a new subdivision construction entrance, tpms warning = headed straight for tire shop.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....In 3200 miles on my Mustang since May of this year, I've gotten a puncture in my left rear tire twice. The first one required a new tire ("too close to edge"). Less than 300 miles later, I've got another puncture in the new tire before it even got broken in.....
Some builder or construction debris is driving/being hauled along the same roads as you right now.

It happens.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Out of 4 tires in 7k miles I've had one small wire puncture that needed a repair and I picked up a nail at an odd angle that didnt go all the way through.

My last MPSS set went pretty well, only one patch required in 20k miles so Im not terribly worried about the MP4S

Last edited:
OP
OP
draph

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
Thanks for your opinions. Special thanks to anyone who posted AFTER my thread got moved to wheels and tires subforum....I don't think this gets much viewership except from those looking to change from stock wheels/tires.

It would be an interesting study to see what "window of puncture opportunity" there exists based upon speed, wheelbase, and type of tire. In all my years, my punctures have always been in rear tires. My theory has been the front rolls over the object laying flat, it's sticky enough to pick it up, then let it go with it still upright long enough to impale the rear tire. Another interesting study would be to try various designs of the wind deflectors ahead of the rear tires to see if any positive benefits could be created to prevent punctures.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Some builder or construction debris is driving/being hauled along the same roads as you right now.

LIt happens.
Why can’t people who haul this stuff be more responsible about covering the load! I see it all the time driving around my area are pickups, trailers, dump trucks with uncovered loads and stuff flying everywhere.

It’s as irritating as drivers with these huge jacked up trucks and oversized monster tires sticking way outside the fenders flinging rocks and debris with no consideration how they are damaging paint jobs and windshields.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I picked up two close together on my RR with the PZero's. Helps dodging potholes and other standing water where shit get's washed over to, as well as staying off the shoulders and marbles/loose debris that can be found on shoulders.
Sponsored