Sponsored

Maybe I'm in the minority opinion; I don't think the Base GT500 is a "great" track car

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
OP has articulated points that pushed me to a Honda Civic Type R for track days. I am a track day newbie. I have a ‘16 Mustang GT Roush SC/Magnaflow cat back - ‘vert. I love my Mustang, but compared to the cars I shopped against it/another Mustang, a used Cayman/used Type R, it’s not close. The Type R feels like a hummingbird on cocaine. It handles & turns like a dream and brakes like a nun in a whorehouse. Do I miss the insane pull, growl and top end of ‘stang? Sure, a bit. Am I thrilled the only mod I “needed” was brake pads? Yup. Type R is ready for track day as OEM. A Mustang GT (PP1) seems to need $5k+ from Steeda for suspension before you go after more braking power. I was impressed with the GT500 CFTP that was in novice sessions earlier this month with me at Blackhawk Farms. That car is a monster. Suspect he’s into his for $110k. I’m sitting at $47k all in. And I’m having a great time with it.

F8C15DD6-B225-478A-85C6-206A7CF739B0.jpeg
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I looked hard at C7s but I didn't buy one. But I was never interested in the Z06 version. I was more interested in a GS for track duty as many people have said online that the Z06 has trouble with cooling and I saw several videos where the car pulled power very quickly once driven on track.

But the C7 GS has the problem with bent rims. And then there is the fact that all C7s have a removable roof, which doesn't seem the safest for track duty.

I drove a few C7s and I felt they are still somewhat heavy and porky feeling. The cabin is really cramped and I don't like how many large screens are in the dash. It felt a little overwhelming and distracting to me.

I bought a C5 Z06, which is terribly underpowered compared to the C7 Z, but it also weighs 500 lbs less. I really liked that car. There are a lot of little issues with them, not the least is that they are getting old now. I think the power issue could be fixed with an engine swap and the aftermarket could fix most everything with that car - other than I'm just too tall to fit comfortably in a Corvette with a helmet on. I even pulled a seat and looked at it to see if I could gain an inch somewhere and I just didn't see how to do it.

I don't know much about the GT500 - it's out of my budget. But I think if you want a lightweight and low CoG track car, then GT500 isn't the choice. Probably Porsche or modifying something like a C5 or a Miata. Or the Ariel Atom if you can afford something track only. Most modern vehicles are heavy and relatively high off the ground.
A well spec'd miata will run laps around a GT500 at the track 😂

Sarcasm, but a good driver in a miata will perform much better than an okay driver in a Gt500 :)

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
That can be said about almost any car comparison. I saw a guy in a friggin' Honda Fit run circles around Caymans, Corvettes, M3s etc. at a recent event.
But MIATAAAAAA lol! :)

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Man, sure am glad I bought my base GT500 (is it really a “base”?) to daily on the streets.

I guess I don’t get the point of this post. Now if someone was touting “the ‘base’ model is better on tracks than CFTP” then I could see the point of this post. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
That can be said about almost any car comparison. I saw a guy in a friggin' Honda Fit run circles around Caymans, Corvettes, M3s etc. at a recent event.
Yup..... I had a buddy who would lap the race replica sport bikes on track day on a late 80's Goldwing.

I get that the OP is saying, but is kind of a pointless post. The car is only as good as the driver, but lets face it, base unmodified anything is not great for the track, maybe with the exception of a few. That said, the GT500 Base car is out of the box BETTER than 99% of cars that roll off the assembly line and can go straight to the track and do well.

I don't see any 4Klb car being a great track tool, stock or not. Even my E-36 M3, good in it's own right stock needed work to be competitive, thats why you see them gutted and have roll bars, etc.....

The Beauty of today's market is you can buy and modify just about anything you want, so there is no excuse to complain or gripe.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Many of the OP's points are valid. You can't hide weight. You can mitigate it by this or that, but at the end of the day, you are starting with a heavy chassis and a lot of heavy components (supercharger and DCT). Realize that this is a Ford Mustang. It roll(ed) down the same line at Flat Rock as an ecoboost. The car shares most of the same parts as the other models. Then throw in some engineering and testing along with the parts that make the difference and you are left with a car that can compete against the best of them, and I do. I am absolutely amazed at how you can take such a common car and turn it into what it is. As I mentioned, weight is the problem.

Everything in life is a compromise. You can't have it all and you have to look at the overall average of what the car is. I don't like using the word average when talking about this car. There is nothing average about it. But there is that point that it is what it is. For what it is worth, the best time I could run at Daytona (the rolex 24 course) was 2:04 in a GT350R. That is fast for that car. The GT500CFTP will consistently run 2:00 for me and I think with different tires, it would probably do better.

So, weight isn't everything. The overall average of what the car is and the track it is running on will dictate how it will perform. I've always said it, I would choose a GT350R over a GT500CFTP on a smaller more technical track. The qualities of the 500CFTP will stand out on a larger and faster track whereas the 350R will probably have the advantage on smaller more technical tracks.

Oh, and as for a C7 Z06? Yea, nice try. Not even close.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I heard it's great for 3 laps. And then you have to refuel it.
I think that is the silliest post I have read in a long time. However, foot on the floor driving for 30 minutes leaves you with an very uncomfortable needle that is on E.

The workaround is take it easy for a lap or two during a session or take an extra cooldown lap.

Sponsored

navbtcret

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT 500
I was just at Watkins Glen with my base this week for two days. I previously owned a GT350 and had it at Watkins Glen too. I am not a great driver on road courses, but I am getting better, and I feel like the 350 was nimbler around the track but the 500 is a better car at this track. Its power makes it a much faster car on a big track like Watkins Glen. I have had both cars at Gingerman raceway in Michigan which is a smaller track and has a good combination of technical areas and straights, I will take the 500 there as well. I am running the PS4's with the front end set at the track alignment.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
In general, mustangs are very not fun when on insufficient tire. Basically if you can’t lean into the throttle and trust the tires to stick, there is no fun. At 460 hp, the minimum tire is probably re-71rs. At cartoon hp, the minimum tire might be Hoosier.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I’ve driven a few different cars on track. I find the GT500 to be a great street GT car that is capable enough for track. But it has too many street focused features to be good on track. It’s too soft, too heavy, not enough rear grip, etc.

That said, it’s a better track car than many street cars or sports cars.
I prefer my GT350R for balance on track over the GT500 CFTP I owned.
Oh, and 25 minutes and out of fuel in the GT500 was a deal breaker for me. Can’t even finish a 30 min session (but it was a riot for 24 minutes ahahah)

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Your driving a base GT500 and you are not thrilled about its track performance, you bought the wrong GT500. The lighter, lower, track tire, cftp is what you should have purchased.
Sponsored