Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
My main issue with this thud, is it occurs when completely stopped. To me that indicates the clutch isn't fully disengaged. I understand there is pressure in the transmission pushing transmission fluid through the tranny but what else could be making the thud?
I'd be willing to bet that if you waited long enough, you wouldn't get the thud. It's my understanding that there are components spinning inside the trans that you engage when shifting to first. If you shift to first then second then back to first, is the thud still there? It should only thud the first shift.
Sponsored

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
My main issue with this thud, is it occurs when completely stopped. To me that indicates the clutch isn't fully disengaged. I understand there is pressure in the transmission pushing transmission fluid through the tranny but what else could be making the thud?
At idle, there isn't any pressure pushing fluid through the trans, it's a lubrication bath.

The clutch may be fully disengaged, but input shaft of the transmission may still spin in neutral until a mechanical resistance is applied (shifting into first) due to aerodynamic forces inside the clutch mechanism. If it's in neutral with the clutch out, then you push the clutch in, the input shaft will still spin for a time because it carries some rotational inertia, until you slam it into first.

During all of this, one half of the synchronizer assembly is spinning at idle RPM (or slightly lower since you pushed the clutch in a half-second ago), and the other is stationary.

When shifting while the car is moving forward, one half of the synchro assy is moving at engine speed, the other is moving at wheel speed X Rear gear ratio.

The whole thud-while-shifting is not a transmission internal component issue, it has more to do with the stiffness of the transmission mount and shifter mount to the body of the car transmitting feedback from the synchro units back into the body and cabin.

Google "transmission synchronizer" to see the details of how these work. If someone has a better theory, feel free to put it forward. If you're having grinding, hard-to-engage gears, or missing shifts, then you have a problem. This is just a NVH issue inherent with the remote shifter design as far as I'm concerned. More likely a by-product of beefing up the shifter mounting design due to issues with the 11-14 cars. I also read somewhere that Ford had Getrag beef up the synchros for the '15, so there "shouldn't" be an issue there anymore.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
AeroPaul thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense. I'd be willing to bet you are right, as your explanation explains the thud when stationary and while moving.

A different "issue" I have is shifting quickly into fourth after reaching the top of third WOT, it seemed to not want to go in a couple times. I will have to play around more and see if this really is an issue. I also had one time where the 6th gear synchro let out a"yelp"lol however it has only occurred once, if it's an issue in the future I'm sure it will get worse before the warranty is up.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer ordered the friction modifier for the transmission and the diff, hopefully this helps with the problem. I will also be installing the whiteline transmission insert on the car next week so with all those things combined I'm hoping the transmission is smoother than butter.

RedBaron777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP + 50 YR AP
I have experienced the same "thud" from the time the car was delivered but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. What I have found was if when stopped, you "ease" it into first, there has been no noise. Try it and see what happens. That might make it easier to diagnose if there is a problem.

Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My dealer ordered the friction modifier for the transmission and the diff, hopefully this helps with the problem. I will also be installing the whiteline transmission insert on the car next week so with all those things combined I'm hoping the transmission is smoother than butter.
Rumor is the friction modifier is already in the transmission. Do you have confirmation from Ford that it is not?

Friction modifier in the diff will have no impact on the thud.

The trans mount is probably the best bet. Keep us posted on that.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Please give a us a full review after you install the whiteline transmission insert. THANKS!!!

svoguy2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
89 Fox Body 347 Stroker,2015 Mustang GT, PP
Mine does it from time to time also. It's a non issue. I've heard it many times before in other cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
I heard it from my car for the first time today shifting into first at a stop light. the car was not cold as i was 30 minutes into my trip already. It was a toasty 38Âş outside, so, no ice either. It happened just as i was passing the threshold where the stick usually gives into first gear. i have 1300 miles on the car.

im not going to stress a whole lot yet, unless we see anyone coming into major problems in the transmission, as everything is under warranty for another 28700 miles. :)

Loki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP
Mine also does this when shifting into 1st while stopped.

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
At idle, there isn't any pressure pushing fluid through the trans, it's a lubrication bath.

The clutch may be fully disengaged, but input shaft of the transmission may still spin in neutral until a mechanical resistance is applied (shifting into first) due to aerodynamic forces inside the clutch mechanism. If it's in neutral with the clutch out, then you push the clutch in, the input shaft will still spin for a time because it carries some rotational inertia, until you slam it into first.

During all of this, one half of the synchronizer assembly is spinning at idle RPM (or slightly lower since you pushed the clutch in a half-second ago), and the other is stationary.

When shifting while the car is moving forward, one half of the synchro assy is moving at engine speed, the other is moving at wheel speed X Rear gear ratio.

The whole thud-while-shifting is not a transmission internal component issue, it has more to do with the stiffness of the transmission mount and shifter mount to the body of the car transmitting feedback from the synchro units back into the body and cabin.

Google "transmission synchronizer" to see the details of how these work. If someone has a better theory, feel free to put it forward. If you're having grinding, hard-to-engage gears, or missing shifts, then you have a problem. This is just a NVH issue inherent with the remote shifter design as far as I'm concerned. More likely a by-product of beefing up the shifter mounting design due to issues with the 11-14 cars. I also read somewhere that Ford had Getrag beef up the synchros for the '15, so there "shouldn't" be an issue there anymore.
I've never watched videos on how transmissions really worked before. But now that it makes sense, I think you're absolutely right.

The sychnronizer is really just a brake, and the momentum of the countershaft and the gears is probably pretty high if it doesn't sit for long in neutral, so when the synchronizer locks down on the moving parts, that energy gets absorbed and we hear a clunk.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Rumor is the friction modifier is already in the transmission. Do you have confirmation from Ford that it is not?

Friction modifier in the diff will have no impact on the thud.

The trans mount is probably the best bet. Keep us posted on that.
It could be that they didn't add enough or didn't lubricate the parts properly during assembly. The friction modifier in the diff is actually for the noise that's coming from the diff, what feels like diff binding when I'm taking a slow turn from a dead stop. XL-18 for the trans and XL-3 for the diff.

I will be working on everything together next weekend once the fluids and everything come in and will install the trans mount then. I will keep y'all posted.

Please give a us a full review after you install the whiteline transmission insert. THANKS!!!
Will do boss! :)

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It could be that they didn't add enough or didn't lubricate the parts properly during assembly. The friction modifier in the diff is actually for the noise that's coming from the diff, what feels like diff binding when I'm taking a slow turn from a dead stop. XL-18 for the trans and XL-3 for the diff.
Ok. You have more issues than what everyone is reporting here. I thought you were referring to the thud only.

Let us know how it turns out.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. You have more issues than what everyone is reporting here. I thought you were referring to the thud only.

Let us know how it turns out.
Yessir, sorry for the confusion. The diff noise is light but happens only when I stop and make a slow turn. Happens only once unless I'm interpreting the noise incorrectly. Once the fluids have been added with the additives in the trans and diff and I have installed the Whiteline trans insert I will inform everyone about it.

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
I have the GT factory thud package, I mean performance package.
I just picked the car up yesterday, and noticed it immediately after driving off the lot. I know some people don't seam to be concerned about it, but I personal think it is a flaw in design or engineering. Mine is very apparent, and totally takes the enjoyment out of driving this car for me.
I traded In my 47k mile thudless shifting 2012 GT500 for this car, I know different transmissions, but just goes to show that it can be engineered out.
Not to mention I didn't experience this in my 370z, 335i, older 91 5.0, and even my 1970 boss 302. I mean, come on, after 40 years of transmison and engineering advancements, Getrag or Ford can't figure this out.

If there is an aftermarket shifter or part that will fix this, please manufacturers chime in, I only have 90 miles on my car, but will install it tomorrow.

Otherwise, Ford should come up with a solution and issue a TSB.

It just boggles my mind that with all the testing done before a new model car is released, that some engineer heard/felt the thud and thought that this was normal or acceptable in 2015.

All they would need to do is drive any number of other manufacturers rw drive manual cars for the past 40 years.
Sponsored