Sponsored

Manual: No warm up

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
Regarding oil pressure, don't these engines use an electric oil pump? Watching the gauge the oil pressure really ramps up the more throttle you give it, even in top gear when the RPMs barely change. Then it has a noticeable delay returning to normal when letting off the throttle as if it's anticipating more spirited driving. It doesn't behave at all like any other oil pressure gauge I've watched such as my recent 2017 Focus ST. The oil pressure followed the engine RPM exactly. Anyone know if the oil pump is still mechanical or electric in the mustang?
The 2018+ has a oil pressure control valve supposedly for increased efficiency/mileage.
Sponsored

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
The only "warm up" I do is to wait until the engine comes down from high-idle. Then just don't give it the beans until everything is nice and toasty, which I target 190* oil temp.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP 6MT
Does turning on the heater as soon as you start the car increase the time the engine takes to warm up?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Does turning on the heater as soon as you start the car increase the time the engine takes to warm up?
The HVAC system uses a heat exchanger just like the radiator to extract heat from the engine coolant system, so yes, it will add to the time it takes to warm up the engine coolant. The question is, how much? The amount of heat required to warm the interior of the car is miniscule compared to how much heat the engine is generating, so my guess is the amount of time you add to the warm-up by running the heater will be all but unnoticeable to the driver.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That's kinda pointless if the engine is cold. It's not going to blow any remotely warm air until the CHT is in the 150+ range, so if you start it up on a cold 30* morning and blast the heat all you're going to get is cold air and only slow down the warmup process and delay when you actually get warm air out of the vents.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The HVAC system uses a heat exchanger just like the radiator to extract heat from the engine coolant system, so yes, it will add to the time it takes to warm up the engine coolant. The question is, how much? The amount of heat required to warm the interior of the car is miniscule compared to how much heat the engine is generating, so my guess is the amount of time you add to the warm-up by running the heater will be all but unnoticeable to the driver.
I thought the thermostat kept coolant from circulating until temp was reached. Coolant wouldn't hit the heater core until it was warm. Now that influx of cold fluid back into th he engine might slow overall heating but not by much.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I thought the thermostat kept coolant from circulating until temp was reached. Coolant wouldn't hit the heater core until it was warm. Now that influx of cold fluid back into th he engine might slow overall heating but not by much.
I believe the thermostat only prevents the coolant from going through the radiator, keeping it in the engine itself. But part of that circuit goes through the heater core, there isn't a 2nd thermostat that bypasses the heater core.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
There is no reason to let a modern engine warm up before driving. That said, It IS a good idea to let the engine run a bit before revving the crap out of it. With every car I have I do the same thing. When the car is stone cold, I start the engine and let it idle while I get my phone setup, seatbelt on, etc. then go. Then, I go easy for a block or so. Since the Mustang has an oil temp gage, I let it come up to normal before going crazy, which is usually around a mile to mile and a half.

Last edited:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As soon as the engine fires I just mat the gas for about 30 seconds to bring things up to temp. I use zero oil and it stopped my tick. Or maybe that was the Ceratec. Either way I did a compression test and all cylinders are within .0001%.

I also go 5th to 1st to use a lot of engine braking to save my brakes and more importantly not create wheel dust.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The tone of a few posts suggests some of you have stopped taking this issue seriously...

EDIT: This was not meant as a complaint or accusation. Just having a bit of fun. It's interesting to see which subjects people get passionate.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The tone of a few posts suggests some of you have stopped taking this issue seriously...
No surprise there . . . then again, I think a lot of people not only don't want to take this seriously, they don't even have much understanding of why they perhaps should.

People today don't seem to have as much patience or willingness to wait. For anything.. Gotta have it all. Right now.

Most people have never assembled an engine. Let alone built one where any close-tolerance hand-fitting was involved.

Fewer still have a solid engineering understanding of topics such as uneven heating, different rates of expansion, thermal transients, and metal fatigue.

Norm

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I take it very seriously, just delusionally posting due to being locked inside all day.

My serious response - I typically let the engine come off high idle after startup before I go. If not, I basically just let the clutch out and cruise along in second.

Nothing over 2,500 RPM generally until the cyl head temps start rising and oil pressure lowers, signaling the temp is coming up.

It makes me cringe when people get in and jump on the gas old a cold engine.
Sponsored