Sponsored

Manual alignment?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I just got a new set of tires at 30K miles and I am looking to do an alignment now. There is an independent shop around here that specializes in suspension and alignments. My prior mechanic (now retired) would not do alignments on my previous cars (being German) and recommended me to this place. He was very picky about quality and I think he had the opinion the manual process was better, even though he did computer alignments.

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra on this car or if a standard computer alignment would do?
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I depends much more on the shop/tech than the equipment. I do my own alignments with string and a camber gauge. I can't do them as fast as someone on a computerized machine, but I can do them just as well and a hell of a lot cheaper.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a new set of tires at 30K miles and I am looking to do an alignment now. There is an independent shop around here that specializes in suspension and alignments. My prior mechanic (now retired) would not do alignments on my previous cars (being German) and recommended me to this place. He was very picky about quality and I think he had the opinion the manual process was better, even though he did computer alignments.

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra on this car or if a standard computer alignment would do?

The computer is just the measuring tool. What matters is the actual specs and tolerances that the tech is aligning to.

Cheap places which just use the Ford specs and loose tolerances give you what you pay for - a car that's aligned to loose tolerances. Better places will work to user provided specs and will try to get a lot closer to the mark. Its basically impossible to 100% nail an alignment to the 2nd decimal places, and not really necessary, but you would like to find someplace that will get you pretty close and not just 'in the green zone'.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I depends much more on the shop/tech than the equipment. I do my own alignments with string and a camber gauge. I can't do them as fast as someone on a computerized machine, but I can do them just as well and a hell of a lot cheaper.
how hard is this to learn? ive been considering it

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Unless you have aftermarket plates or bolts there's no camber adjustment for the front of our cars just fyi.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
how hard is this to learn? ive been considering it
In a nutshell, you need to know how to measure and adjust the various alignment angles. Everything after that is wrench work. In general, it's not as complex as the $$$$$ alignment racks in the shops suggest it might be.

That said, there is apt to be a catch with most multilink IRS designs, where there can be a lot of crosstalk between the camber and toe adjustments.

Norm

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I think I'll stick with the manual shop then. The times I used them the steering wheel was always strait too. I get burned up when the steering wheel is off center.

Had a car with custom suspension and a subframe issue. I think it took him nearly 3 hours.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
In a nutshell, you need to know how to measure and adjust the various alignment angles. Everything after that is wrench work. In general, it's not as complex as the $$$$$ alignment racks in the shops suggest it might be.

That said, there is apt to be a catch with most multilink IRS designs, where there can be a lot of crosstalk between the camber and toe adjustments.

Norm
looks like ive got some researching to do, ill start with that link.

appreciate both of you.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)

Norm
I haven't found the rear to be too bad on this. They're connected to a small amount, but it's not bad. The front has a little more co-dependence. Increasing negative camber by 1 degree will give about 2mm of toe-out on a 19" rim. It exists, but it's not crazy.

I'd far and away choose a guy that knows and cares with string and a machinist rule over a guy getting shop rate with a Hunter rack.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I think I'll stick with the manual shop then. The times I used them the steering wheel was always strait too. I get burned up when the steering wheel is off center.

Had a car with custom suspension and a subframe issue. I think it took him nearly 3 hours.
They need to care enough to make sure the wheel's straight, because that's part of the job.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When I first started to do my own alignments, I used a carpenter's combination square, a 6" machinist's rule (0.01"), and a pair of yardsticks. It was what I had handy, and I'd just replaced the ball joints on the car we had at the time.

Norm

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ugh, something on my bucket list I've always wanted to do. I know the basics of an alignment from years of turning wrenches, but actually getting the equipment to do it myself. I utterly hate taking my car anywhere for work, and an alignment is way up on that list. And not even so much because I don't like taking the car anywhere, but more so the outright enjoyment of doing it myself. Time to start doing some homework!
Sponsored