Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I can see why. A lot of us use it as a daily driver and occasionally on track (if at all). There seems to be a stick shift culture among the reviewers that is close to cult. Even those who have no beef with the automatic, will somehow say they prefer the Tremec. For them, they don't care about the issues of daily driving, such as stuck in a long traffic jam. The rest of us, who have to deal with the real world, are not tracking the car every second of the day and have to decide what is best for our bodies and psyche, may end up choosing the automatic. And as far as I know, the updated automatic (with a different torque converter and software) is one of the best ones short of a dst or pdk. That is why most people who order Porsche sports cars, order the pdk and not the manual (with the same purists reviewers praising the manual transmissions)
It wouldn't be possible but would be nice to see, instead of # of manual vs # of automatic, the # of manuals that are daily drivers and the # of each that are not, same for the automatic. I'm a die hard manual guy but the Mustang is a toy that I can let sit if I don't feel like driving it. It would be a really hard decision to make my DD a manual.
Sponsored

stangcrazy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger SRT 392 - I know its not a mustang
I can see why. A lot of us use it as a daily driver and occasionally on track (if at all). There seems to be a stick shift culture among the reviewers that is close to cult. Even those who have no beef with the automatic, will somehow say they prefer the Tremec. For them, they don't care about the issues of daily driving, such as stuck in a long traffic jam. The rest of us, who have to deal with the real world, are not tracking the car every second of the day and have to decide what is best for our bodies and psyche, may end up choosing the automatic. And as far as I know, the updated automatic (with a different torque converter and software) is one of the best ones short of a dst or pdk. That is why most people who order Porsche sports cars, order the pdk and not the manual (with the same purists reviewers praising the manual transmissions)
So not a purist by any means and dont even hit the track, but I can relate to the traffic issue, i live in Chicago and had a '89 mustang. I now have a 392 SRT Challenger and love the paddles and actually quite useful in traffic. But it gets really boring after a while and I miss the manual fun. Especially now with rev matching it will be a better daily driver.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
The trick to having a MT daily is to not have a commute that involves large amounts of stop and go traffic 😎

RE the PDK, that transmission is amazing. It's a tossup on whether I would prefer that or a MT, and I am a MT purist. I drove a A10 on a rental GT and was not all that impressed, but to each their own.

If I had infinite garage space I'd probably own something like a leaf/bolt for my daily driver, but I'm space and cash limited so it has to be one car for me.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
The trick to having a MT daily is to not have a commute that involves large amounts of stop and go traffic 😎

RE the PDK, that transmission is amazing. It's a tossup on whether I would prefer that or a MT, and I am a MT purist. I drove a A10 on a rental GT and was not all that impressed, but to each their own.

If I had infinite garage space I'd probably own something like a leaf/bolt for my daily driver, but I'm space and cash limited so it has to be one car for me.
my daily is an '86 bronco. I am considering going to stick just for the gas mileage. would like to have an overdrive :/

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486

You really have to try an A10 that has Sport+ mode. It's like the shift kits you put in 60's and 70's 3 speed automatics but the A10 literally bangs through all 10 speeds.

Sponsored

Tayley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
12-13 Boss 302
I only buy MT cars. I don't daily drive them though. Buddy of mine has a 10 speed 5.0 and I was impressed how it worked. Like above, it felt like a 89 GTA with a shift kit. I can see why they lay down better 1/4 miles times. I will still always buy the MT.

Tayley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
12-13 Boss 302
I was offering my opionion on the amazing 10 speed. If someone wanted that trans it works amazing. I wouldn't daily a mustang in any trans. But I am oldisher!

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I was offering my opionion on the amazing 10 speed. If someone wanted that trans it works amazing. I wouldn't daily a mustang in any trans. But I am oldisher!
No, I was just teasing you based on your statement that you only buy MT cars but don't daily them, which is logically inconsistent unless you use alternate modes of transportation or someone else has purchased you a vehicle

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
The AT impressed me a lot. I know I wont race the car more than a couple times per month during the summer and will likely spend more time daily driving it or on the drag strip so the AT is very appealing.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I live with the A10 (in F150 guise) and I would much prefer it came with a stick shift.

I've inched along plenty on I-66 in the 6MT GT: 40+ minutes to go 3 miles when they were doing overpass construction and the like. Annoying? Perhaps. But I also don't have to ride the brake constantly. When there is 2-3 car lengths, I push the pedal in, let it out just enough to start moving forward and about 3-5 seconds later, I push it back to the floor and shift to N and apply a little bit of brake if I can't just roll to a stop. The DELAY is annoying. The mechanics of inching not so much.

My A10 got super-heated sitting on I95 going literally nowhere for 30 odd minutes outside of Philly. The shifts when we started moving a little bit were violent, delayed, and erratic. And that was with the trans sitting in 'N' most of the time.

Last edited:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I live with the A10 (in F150 guise) and I would much prefer it came with a stick shift.

I've inched along plenty on I-66 in the 6MT GT: 40+ minutes to go 3 miles when they were doing overpass construction and the like. Annoying? Perhaps. But I also don't have to ride the brake constantly. When there is 2-3 car lengths, I push the pedal in, let it out just enough to start moving forward and about 3-5 seconds later, I push it back to the floor and shift to N and apply a little bit of brake if I can't just roll to a stop. The DELAY is annoying. The mechanics of inching not so much.

My A10 got super-heated sitting on I95 going literally nowhere for 30 odd minutes outside of Philly. The shifts when we started moving a little bit were violent, delayed, and erratic. And that was with the trans sitting in 'N' most of the time.
Why were you shifting into neutral?
The transmission control module learns from your driving pattern and I would imagine constantly shifting into neutral will cause unpredictable results.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why were you shifting into neutral?
The transmission control module learns from your driving pattern and I would imagine constantly shifting into neutral will cause unpredictable results.
that's rubbish as it relates to the so-called "learning" being influenced by a short stint of going nowhere.

Yes when I first bought the truck the trans behavior changed a little bit over the 1st week. But if I care about shift-pattern I drop it into S mode or use the buttons to forcibly lock-out the higher gears. Like when I'm doing my little test loop I'll disable all gears north of 6th. On the F150 you can't control what gear you get with paddles (doesn't have) nor gear selection unless you switch to 'M'.

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I can see why. A lot of us use it as a daily driver and occasionally on track (if at all). There seems to be a stick shift culture among the reviewers that is close to cult. Even those who have no beef with the automatic, will somehow say they prefer the Tremec. For them, they don't care about the issues of daily driving, such as stuck in a long traffic jam. The rest of us, who have to deal with the real world, are not tracking the car every second of the day and have to decide what is best for our bodies and psyche, may end up choosing the automatic. And as far as I know, the updated automatic (with a different torque converter and software) is one of the best ones short of a dst or pdk. That is why the majority of people who order Porsche sports cars, order the pdk and not the manual (with the same purists reviewers praising the manual transmissions)
Here is an interesting take on manuals versus auto:

I ordered my Mach 1 manual. But its a third car and I work from home so don’t commute every day. In the summer I would only drive my previous 2017 GT convertible and pre-COVID when I did go to the office or visit customers i would commute in it. Typically I could avoid rush hour and it was fine.

I have never driven a auto mustang but I bet it works great. Programming makes all the difference. My winter car/car for teenage use is a 2019 Mazda 3 with a 6 speed auto. This transmission drives me bonkers. I can only tolerate it in sport mode. My wife’s car/family car 2019 MDX 9 speed works great. Always in the right gear properly downshifts and is even better in sport with the paddles. I could easily live with it if that is how the mustang transmission works too.

As we get closer to being empty nesters perhaps we will do his and hers mustangs. So maybe I will get another convertible with an auto. But Ford needs to deliver my Mach 1 first! :p

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Ordered 9/21 build scheduled 11/22. Non-HP.
Sponsored