Mach 1 Handling Pack autox/TT update

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Handling Pack
Been a little while since I updated, and I've been pissing around with the car a fair bit, and for those that don't know as I've only posted in the Mach 1 section it's been a while since I've been in Mustang, since 2011 in fact but I ordered a Mach 1 Hanlding Pack to mess around with.

Been to three autocrosses, and tomorrow makes the second track day. Been on 2 sets of pads so far (not due to wear, to test). Been on the OEM Michelin Sport Cup 2's, Falken RT660's and just put on some Goodyear Supercar 3's. Again, not becasue I smoked any of those, testing.

I am most likely taking the car to SCCA TT Nationals @ NCM next month to run Sport 2.

I'm enjoying the car a lot. Even on a B-street PAX for autox I've been 2nd at both events (the 3rd I ran out of order so my results didn't show. This is a nothing trick Mach 1 Handling pack car that's aligned and has been on Falkens and a set of Pagid RSL29 pads. Just popped on some Ferodo DS1.11 to try out, and the Falkens lost a bunch last month on an 80 degree day on lap 2. I find the Supercar 3 to be much more tolerant of hard lapping on other cars I've had so we'll try that.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome back to the platform Sam! I'm still rockin' your rear swaybar BTW, but in CAMC trim now.

I tend to target those BS cars times at local events, figure my old FS car with some CAM mods better be faster than a BS car or I'm not doing my job right. Good luck hunting the BS Camaro SS 1LE, stupid car is fast in a corner. That rear e-diff just loves to corner.

What size Falkens are you on? I don't think they love heat, but I have been watering them at the local autocrosses as a precautionary measure and haven't gotten them hot enough yet to witness any real falloff. They also don't seem super sensitive to pressures as far as I can tell yet.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Hey Sam! Interested to see your impressions of the Goodyears and the brake pads. What are you running for rear camber and toe?

To the previous post: Sam is a dealer of race stuff (stranoparts.com) and I'm a happy customer. You can buy those brakes and lots of other stuff from him and the prices are as good as you'll find anywhere or better, and the advice is genuine and proven.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
welcome back Sam. good luck with the Mach 1.

Sponsored

OP
OP

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Yesterday went pretty well. Happy with my pad change. If anybody has a performance pack Mustang and is looking for some track pads let me know I have some with only three sessions on them for sale. Pagid RSL 29s.

Did 1:56.8 on a day that was at least as hot or maybe hotter than the last one. I could do that time or times right around there on more than one lap. And with a slightly smaller at least on paper, rear tire. 305 Goodyear supercar 3's all the way around. I'm pretty happy with it. This is I think what I'm going to go with for my time trial setup. Don't have lots of other choices anyway.

I ran the RT660 at the last track night at Pitt race. They were quick but fell off a really fast. The Goodyears I can't at least count on and lean on for the duration of the session.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Prediction: Sam shows up on yokos and stomps everyone because it was a cold damp day.

OP
OP

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Prediction: Sam shows up on yokos and stomps everyone because it was a cold damp day.
Nope. The biggest they make is 275 which is kind of small on 10.5 and 11-in wheels. Not to mention the fact that I like to have my track time and I can't stand tires that fall into the toilet after a lap or two at best even on a cool day. ;)

The way the classing works is a little weird. The two cars I own in both cases are pretty good but are both 50 horsepower down to either the same or a very similar chassis in the same class. So really I'm doing this for fun. I've taken the Corvette twice, and I really enjoy the Mustang and since it's kind of a new thing, I figure it's a good place to take it and monkey around.

OP
OP

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)

This one is 1m57.1 from what I can see and it's the best I got on video, with a slight lift for the SSC car out of 2. Slight, and he did a great job letting me by.

External mic is hooked up and tucked under the back seat, still need to work on placement I guess as there is some wind noise, still.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
What aspect of the RSL29 did you not care for? Those are often used as a rear pad as they have relatively low friction and good modulation. Do they make some of their higher friction compound pads for the 6-pot calipers?

Sponsored
OP
OP

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
So I find them more initially bitey than I like just driving around normally, and they definitely could not deal with the temperature and we're falling off a bit. Not terrible but they were fading and they were leaving some deposit on the rotor. Now none of it built up and caused any kind of shimmy or shake.

I left the 29s on the back and switched to one of my personal favorites which is the DS1.11 on the front and ran them yesterday. Definitely had more consistent brake throughout the session, no less power, but I actually think they are much easier to modulate. I don't keep launching myself through the windshield by mistake driving around at less than full-blown on track speed.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Their RSL(endurance) or RST(sprint) lines both are pretty good. That RST3 pad you mentioned can be a good match to an RS29 rear, but it's probably very easy to over-bite the brakes on a 200TW tire.

OP
OP

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
It's neat chart I just don't agree with it. Remember I've run two pads on there and there's no way the DS1.11 gave up before the RSL 29 on the front.

Even just looking at the disc you can see where the RSL 29 was less happy with the temperature. And this was very similar weather conditions, on the very same car 3 weeks apart.

Also very well aware of all that stuff because it's what I do for a living, all those kind of parts. Which is part of the reason I always trying a bunch of different things. :)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's neat chart I just don't agree with it.
I think you're reading WAY too much into it. Alcon doesn't bother to label the criteria for placement though which limits it's utility. I'm guessing it's minimum temp for Mu over a certain threshold. Hmm but even that doesn't quite line up where it concerns the Ferodo family. So it's anyone's guess.

Ferodo pad range.jpg
Sponsored