Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
How do you manage the boost on a supercharger? With the bypass valve?
Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
How do you manage the boost on a supercharger? With the bypass valve?

You can limit boost by limiting throttle angle. So even if you mash it in 1st he's got the throttle limited to a certain percentage to keep the car from seeing full boost/full power which will prevent the car from spinning the tires.

You can tune a 1250rwhp car like this to only make let's say 700rwhp through first gear for your launch and then let it loose in 2nd and all the way up through the rest of the gears.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You can limit boost by limiting throttle angle. So even if you mash it in 1st he's got the throttle limited to a certain percentage to keep the car from seeing full boost/full power which will prevent the car from spinning the tires.

You can tune a 1250rwhp car like this to only make let's say 700rwhp through first gear for your launch and then let it loose in 2nd and all the way up through the rest of the gears.
So it's a preset horse power level or actually has a self learning curve?
I would imagine the power level would have some kind of self learning grip function like on the Ferrari 458 launch control that learns the grip and remember to put down how much power next time instead of a simple feedback loop on regular traction control that just kills power and retry until no wheel spin.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it's a preset horse power level or actually has a self learning curve?
I would imagine the power level would have some kind of self learning grip function like on the Ferrari 458 launch control that learns the grip and remember to put down how much power next time instead of a single feedback loop on a regular traction control that just kills power and retry until no wheel spin.

In all honestly the info I provided is about the extent of what I know about this new type of calibration. I don't know what Ken does as far as figuring out the power level or curve for each vehicle he's tuning to make it work as it should in a specific application. I'm sure it changes from car to car depending on what type of power it makes and what type of power adder is being used.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
In all honestly the info I provided is about the extent of what I know about this new type of calibration. I don't know what Ken does as far as figuring out the power level or curve for each vehicle he's tuning to make it work as it should in a specific application. I'm sure it changes from car to car depending on what type of power it makes and what type of power adder is being used.
Thanks, I was just curious how its done.

Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
So it's not really limiting boost by gear, you're just limiting throttle input by gear. The boost limitation is just a byproduct of that.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it's not really limiting boost by gear, you're just limiting throttle input by gear. The boost limitation is just a byproduct of that.

Well if he can control different throttle angles for each gear then yes he's able to limit boost/power by gear.

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Got a beta map for the PPC tune from Lund this past Monday. Unfortunately my car is in the shop until Friday (busted transmission and clutch at Wannagofast in Texas a few weekends ago. Once I get the car back, I'm to data log and send the results back to Lund. I'll keep everyone posted!

12291136_10153815800107112_1461031656909835165_o.jpg

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
So the manual transmission has a sensor that tells the computer what gear it's in?
I do not think it uses a sensor. Instead, it uses the RPM and ground speed to determine the gear. If you put the clutch in (even if you leave the car in gear), it will no longer know which gear you are in because you've lost the relationship between engine speed and ground speed.

My GTI does this, and it works fine for telling you what gear you are in, but doesn't help with rev matching or anything that needs to be predictive since it can't determine anything until you've already selected the gear and let the clutch out.

This tune looks like an interesting feature. I wonder how they are doing it and compensating for different traction scenarios. In the video it looks like the traction control tuning is much less intrusive and much quicker to respond. Seems to be working more like GM's "Performance Traction Management", rather than a typical safety-net. I think the PTM modes use different pre-sets to control the maximum allowed torque (which is also varied based on steering angle, lateral G's, etc.). I wonder if this will do something similar, and have a "drag strip" setting, a street setting, and a wet setting (among others). Very cool idea.

-T

Sponsored

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
status update? also will this be for non-boosted/charged applications as well? I plan on staying N/A but I can see this combined with the new Flex Fuel update they just released being a huge deal.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
status update? also will this be for non-boosted/charged applications as well? I plan on staying N/A but I can see this combined with the new Flex Fuel update they just released being a huge deal.
Boost by gears referrs to FI applications. N/A doesn't have any boost...

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Boost by gears referrs to FI applications. N/A doesn't have any boost...
Since they are just changing the throttle response I don't see how it won't work on a non-FI car. It's basically a more complicated traction control that can set and learn traction level at given gear instead of the simple fail-retry mode normal traction control has. The issue is this type of traction control is almost useless on the street because grip changes all the time instead of on a drag strip where grip is consistent.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
thanks evo, I can read that and am aware, the question is will this trickle down to N/A. from the video it looks like its just throttle modulation to control "boost by gears", I believe that whole conspiracy theory was already answered somewhere in this thread.

either way from the video and the comments here it sounds like its just throttle modulation depending on rear wheel speed vs front wheel speed, simple logic really if rear wheel speed > than front wheel speed then modulate throttle until they equal. there should be no reason N/A can't have this and it would be stupid as fuck if N/A didn't get this.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
This isn't needed for N/A. Sounds more like a driver mod for N/A.
Sponsored