Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
That's definitely odd.
Have you tried it in different holes?
Sure it's not cross threaded?
Nothing in the thread barrel of the lock?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks . . . there's clearly a difference between the wheels as far as lug nut recess depth/lug nut flushness is concerned.

I'm not surprised, either. I have Forgestars (same width, different offsets) that do the same thing.

If you look at the back sides of the front and rear wheels together, you should be seeing a difference in the thickness of the wheel hubs - how much thickness exists behind the back sides of the spokes.

Norm

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
That's definitely odd.
Have you tried it in different holes?
Sure it's not cross threaded?
Nothing in the thread barrel of the lock?
No cross thread. It might be as Norm above said. The offset? I did take each wheel off a few days ago to clean behind them. I don't remember if They were sticking out like that before. Maybe there is a "special" hole for the lock? If so, I aimed perfect on the front but missed on the rears!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I've never, ever heard of a wheel with a special hole for the lock.
Nether did I. The only thing to see is remove the wheel and check. I guess

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I just have the regular 18" wheels and, as you'd expect, they are the same front and back.
I hate the lock lug that Ford supplies. It's long ang looks really badly out of place.
I ended up replacing all the lugs with these. Now if someone wants to steal them they have to defeat all 20 instead of just 4.
Screenshot_20210113-134519_Amazon Shopping.jpg
With gorilla kits you have to be careful. They have 2 setups one is just a spline drive where all the keys for all the kits they sell are the same. And the other is an actual lock where the splines are Spaced irregularly making yours the only key around. The regular splines can actually be removed with a 6 point socket as well. Not very safe at all. I dunno if the actual locks can be removed like that as well. I've never tried.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
With gorilla kits you have to be careful. They have 2 setups one is just a spline drive where all the keys for all the kits they sell are the same. And the other is an actual lock where the splines are Spaced irregularly making yours the only key around. The regular splines can actually be removed with a 6 point socket as well. Not very safe at all. I dunno if the actual locks can be removed like that as well. I've never tried.
Mine are the lock variety with the key with irregular splines. Haven't tried taking them off with a regular socket. I assume it can be done with enough force though. But as I said, it has to be done 5 times per wheel so my hope is a thief will move on to an easier target.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
... my hope is a thief will move on to an easier target.
That's the thing. There's no way to stop a determined thief. As my father once said (well, maybe it was someone else...) locks are for keeping honest people honest.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Maybe there is a "special" hole for the lock? If so, I aimed perfect on the front but missed on the rears!
No.

Look at the pictures you posted, not for the locking lugnut but for the four 'regular' nuts. They're clearly setting deeper into the front wheels.

Rear wheel - ignore the locker, the regular nuts clearly poke out a little. The lugnut recesses simply aren't as deep (any of them).

1618313702713.png

Front wheel - the regular nuts are clearly recessed into what has to be deeper holes.

1618313758780.png

Norm

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Yes. I do see that the front lug nuts are set in deeper in front. The rear the nuts protrude more. So what could that mean?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It means the front wheels have a wider offset, that's all that's going on here. For clearance reasons with how wide the front tires are on the PP2.

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
It means the front wheels have a wider offset, that's all that's going on here. For clearance reasons with how wide the front tires are on the PP2.
The wheels on the front are 10.5 rears are 11.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
‘22 5.0 GT/‘16 F150 XLT/‘21 Explorer Platinum
I have project 6gr wheels and my front lugs are more flush with the wheel itself. My rear lugs stick out much further I personally think it looks more aggressive with the rear lugs sticking out.
I have them too. I am using Gorilla lug nuts front and rear.
I put the 1.4" on rear and 1.9" on front.
They now are even (both have 1/2" of lug sticking out like original lug on rear)

Part # 41147 BC (1.4", black)
Part # 41147 XLBC (1.9", black)

Got best price from Summit Racing.

20210413_212115.jpg

20210413_212105.jpg
Sponsored