Lug Nuts...Driving me Nuts!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The wheels on the front are 10.5 rears are 11.
That's still pretty wide for a front wheel on these cars. But I'm talking about actual offset/ET, not width. Rear is probably 35mm like standard, but the front likely had to be adjusted and I bet they're using longer studs too compared to standard cars. That means there's going to be more depth on the stud for the lugs to follow and they will sit more flush.

I mean I could be wrong but that's just how I'm understanding this. You see the same thing on the GT350 as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
That's still pretty wide for a front wheel on these cars. But I'm talking about actual offset/ET, not width. Rear is probably 35mm like standard, but the front likely had to be adjusted and I bet they're using longer studs too compared to standard cars. That means there's going to be more depth on the stud for the lugs to follow and they will sit more flush.

I mean I could be wrong but that's just how I'm understanding this. You see the same thing on the GT350 as well.
I think the fronts are + 24 and the rears are +50 for offsets

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
If it makes you feel any better Danno, my PP2 is sporting the same wonky locking nut as yours. I figured that by the next time I remove the wheels, I'll have a different lock, if not a complete set of aftermarket lugnuts.

gw

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The wheels on the front are 10.5 rears are 11.
What's happening is a consequence of how 'concave' the wheel design is, how wide it is, and what offset was chosen for it.

You need to have a certain amount of metal thickness below the tapered surface that the lug nut bears against, so that the wheel won't tear out at the bolts. Since the wheel's mounting plane is fixed by wheel width and offset, and the outer face of the wheel by its design (concave-ness), the hole depth is a consequence rather than a basic design choice. IOW, it is what it has to be.

Norm

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
If it makes you feel any better Danno, my PP2 is sporting the same wonky locking nut as yours. I figured that by the next time I remove the wheels, I'll have a different lock, if not a complete set of aftermarket lugnuts.
Actually I hate to say it it does make me feel better. Now I know its not just these wheels!
gw

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

What generally happens is that the thickness of the wheel's mounting pad (measured between the spokes and the mounting surface) isn't a fixed dimension, and I think that's even visible in OP's pictures if you look very closely at the distance between the back sides of the spokes and the rotor hats. For any given wheel width, this pad will be thicker on the wheel with the smaller positive offset number. It gets a little more complicated when the wheels are of different widths and may or may not have any difference in 'concave'.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have project 6gr wheels and my front lugs are more flush with the wheel itself. My rear lugs stick out much further I personally think it looks more aggressive with the rear lugs sticking out.
Then you're gonna love my front wheels.

IMG_4087.jpg

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
It's a staggered Ford wheel thing. Had staggered wheels on other cars and the lug depth on each wheel was the same. Next time I have these off I plan to take a closer look.
I have the Gorilla lug set.
front.jpg
rear.jpg
my2019_GT_PP1.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
So if thats the case the lug depth is the same then why are they protruding on one wheel and not the other?

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if thats the case the lug depth is the same then why are they protruding on one wheel and not the other?
I should correct myself and say lug nut length is the same. Not sure why the depth into the wheel is different. I would guess the rear has more material from the cone of the nut to the inside of the wheel/hub. I'd have to pull one of each off and look.

The Gorilla locks are quite a bit shorter than the factory McGard brand.

Here's a picture of the stock lug and fugly locking lug.

lug nuts.jpg

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
So what brands have nice either black or gunmetal lug nuts for this wheel?

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what brands have nice either black or gunmetal lug nuts for this wheel?
I think ORRadtech already showed you the best option in black. I've always had good luck with the gorilla lug products.

OP
OP
danno1

danno1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
What would be the correct size to order the Gorilla Lug nuts?
Sponsored