Sponsored

LTH primary size

Slow306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I'm intrigued..... would you care to share a little bit about the build (clearly non turbo) that made that kind of power?
Procharger f1a-94 on 32psi. Built L&M engine with 12:1 pistons, Slawko heads, L&M cams, c85, meth injection, and all supporting mods.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Primary header diameter;
It’s all about the bend radius leading off the head flanged connection.
Anytime the first bend off the header flange is forced to turn 90 deg. a few inches away from the head the primary tube diameter needs to be increased larger than the exhaust port. Most modern engine bays are designed where it’s impossible to use the 6” bend radius size on size primary rule that will keep the exhaust gas velocity at its peak.
Blowers exacerbated an already to short lead primary radius used on late model Mustangs.

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Horsepower does not exist. Only torque exists--- horsepower is a calculated number based off of a raw torque value across an RPM range.
Calculating Hp based off torque is a oversimplified mathematical equation.
Horse Power is a real unit of measurement and through the decades this dumbed down mathematical formula has caused many to believe Horse Power is Fictional.

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Horsepower

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Horse Power is a real unit of measurement and through the decades this dumbed down mathematical formula has caused many to believe Horse Power is Fictional.

It's a "real" unit of measure based off of torque using the oversimplified math you refer to.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Procharger f1a-94 on 32psi. Built L&M engine with 12:1 pistons, Slawko heads, L&M cams, c85, meth injection, and all supporting mods.
Curious what pulley you're using to get that much boost and what IATs you're seeing.

I'm spinning my F1A-94 to about 79k and seeing peak boost of 23-ish psi on a 4.38 pulley.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

It’s not that it’s “fictional” but rather that horsepower can’t be measured because it’s not a force. Torque is a force, and if you know how much torque and how many rpm, you then CALCULATE horsepower from there.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Torque is a force, and if you know how much torque and how many rpm, you then CALCULATE horsepower from there.
Correct, that is the quick easy formula to arrive at a Horse Power figure.

Horse Power can absolutely be measured.

Gimmie11 stated Horse Power doesn’t exist.

Horse Power is a real tangible unit of measurement. Work over Time.
33,000 #/min

One Horsepower is defined as 33,000 lb-ft / minute. The circumference of a one-foot radius circle is 6.2832 feet. Since these are both constants, you can divide 33,000 by 6.2832 to get 5252, reducing the equation to a very simple approximation.

The Horse is the imperial unit that performed the work to move the weight in one minute.

Now if the horse is sick or weak then we just need at accept the fact that the men that walked this planet long before us used a bunch of different horses to average out the strength differences to arrive at 33,000 # moved per minute or 550# per second.

This was long before load cell type dynos and software that use the magic number 5252 to provide real time HP & Torque figures.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Correct, that is the quick easy formula to arrive at a Horse Power figure.

Horse Power can absolutely be measured.

Gimmie11 stated Horse Power doesn’t exist.

Horse Power is a real tangible unit of measurement. Work over Time.
33,000 #/min

One Horsepower is defined as 33,000 lb-ft / minute. The circumference of a one-foot radius circle is 6.2832 feet. Since these are both constants, you can divide 33,000 by 6.2832 to get 5252, reducing the equation to a very simple approximation.

The Horse is the imperial unit that performed the work to move the weight in one minute.

Now if the horse is sick or weak then we just need at accept the fact that the men that walked this planet long before us used a bunch of different horses to average out the strength differences to arrive at 33,000 # moved per minute or 550# per second.

This was long before load cell type dynos and software that use the magic number 5252 to provide real time HP & Torque figures.
I can’t reply on behalf of other people .
Go measure horsepower without first measuring or inputting a torque value. You can’t. Even in the horse example, you first need to know the torque value, Eg the actual force being applied.

“Force is the fundamental result of an interaction between two objects, while power is an expression of energy consumed over time (work), of which force is an element. Force and power can both be described and measured, but a force is an actual physical phenomenon, and power in itself is not.”

Apologies to the OP for the thread derailment.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Go measure horsepower without first measuring or inputting a torque value. You can’t. Even in the horse example, you first need to know the torque value, Eg the actual force being applied.
First the horse needed to be strapped to the test stand to establish a consistent output and then validate that value.
James Watt did this and documented the value at 33,000 ft#/minute. This benchmark hasn’t changed since and is still the accepted industry standard.
No need for a physics lesson.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
First the horse needed to be strapped to the test stand to establish a consistent output and then validate that value.
James Watt did this and documented the value at 33,000 ft#/minute. This benchmark hasn’t changed since and is still the accepted industry standard.
No need for a physics lesson.
The point is that when you chuck a car on a roller, you’re measuring torque and rpm. Horsepower is calculated from those two figures because horsepower relies on BOTH of those figures. It is not a “force”. It is the result of a force, that force being torque.

I’m not arguing that horsepower is a myth. I’m just explaining to you that it is not a force. It’s a unit of power. Don’t get them confused.

If you produce 500 ft/lb at 6000 rpm you have 571.2hp
now make the same torque at 7000 rpm and you will have 666.4hp. The twisting force hasn't changed but the number of applications of that force per minute has changed which will alter the amount of work that can be done for a given time period. That’s power, not force.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I’m not arguing that horsepower is a myth. I’m just explaining to you that it is not a force. It’s a unit of power. Don’t get them confused.
Did you miss my comment about the Horse being the imperial unit & work done over time ?
I already covered the Dyno load cell measuring force and the magic number 5252 used in the over simplified HP equation.
My posts address the statement Horse Power doesn’t exist.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you miss my comment about the Horse being the imperial unit & work done over time ?
I already covered the Dyno load cell measuring force and the magic number 5252 used in the over simplified HP equation.
Well I don’t know why you decided to include me in your reply….🤷‍♂️

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Horsepower as a raw value of measure does not exist.

Happy now?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox