gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my lower engine knock that started at 40K, granted I also have the typewriter tick above as well. Ford has now determined both to be "NORMAL". I'm really at a loss as to what is happening.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It does not sound normal, but also doesn't exactly sound like rod knock or bottom end. The noise doesn't seem to follow engine speed 100% and it's slightly delayed to when you rev it.

It almost sounds like something is hitting in the engine bay, maybe exhaust related. Do you have headers?

OP
OP
gammer2019

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All stock under the hood no headers. It's going in tomorrow for a diagnosis even if I have to pay.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Probably something innocuous like the A/C compressor clutch or a loose manifold

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First of all, you need to specify if it was with engine cold or hot, as well as oil consumption, tick, and any other engine history, to have a better understanding where you're coming from. At any rate, that sounds BAAAD, and I have to say it seems like crank or rod knock to my ears, but it could also be piston slap. But let's see what dealer tells you. Just don't accept if they tell you it's normal, because it's not. And hopefully I'm wrong and it's one of the other myriad possible issues, like the cam phasers, oil pump, etc.. But I've never heard them that bad. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

OP
OP
gammer2019

gammer2019

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Report from dealer says rear lower motor piston slap. Message from Ford corporate, currently no fix for that so its normal. have a nice day..... My replay......See ya ford, wont own another one.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Since it's piston slap, does it go away when engine warms up? It still sounds awful to be called normal even if it only happens when cold, but let un know. And also tell us what was the progression of that. When did it start? Which oil are you using? What kind of OCI?
Sponsored