Sponsored

Low Dust Brake Pads?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
followed the directions and glazed the pads
Huh, mine work fantastic. Though there were no stops from 70, but rather 40. I did it at the local high school which had a long entry road and a giant network of parking lot roads so the cool down steps in particular was easy to accomplish. If you have a kissn'ride commuter lot (DC metro has scads of them), commuter comunity college, or an industrial area after hours works great.

I did the same sequence to my stock EcoBoost 2-pot brakes and the braking performance improved markedly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I followed their directions and they were glass, no bite at all. I sanded them down and just drove normally that got them feeling very good. Then the sanding marks were worn off and back to glass.

I ordered a new set and bedded them the way I have been doing it since forever. They work OK. I do like the bite of race pads and these don't have that, but I can go weeks without washing and the wheels look clean.

So clean wheels win on the street.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the bite of race pads and these don't have that
Well yeah...

I hate race pad whiplash. Even on the track. I like smooth torque buildup and gentle predictable release.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
OK, you all know what a pain the OEM pads are for dust. After 3 years I've had enough.

Next Oil Change I need to swap my pads. What are you guys using? No track days, so looking for recommendations on good, quiet, durable pads.

I have a few ideas, but figured I'd ask the brain trust...... And of course, feel free to add your OIl Go to :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
Hey this is Junior from N4SM, on my personal 16 GT I use the Powerstop Z26 Carbon Ceramic Pads or the R1 Concepts Pads and rotors are a good value too

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I replaced rotors and pads with the Z26 kit in October and have been driving as usual (~500 mi/mo) since then. The initial bite with the OEMs -- which I liked -- is basically gone. That said, for a weekend driver (or even a daily driver) that is not put on the track, I think the Z26s are fantastic. The rotors look so much tougher and the dust is reduced significantly. I'd say by like 70%. It's not zero dust, but much, MUCH, less. I'm very happy I did the swap. Thanks for all the great comments on this thread.

Feel free to ask questions -- hope this helps!

IMG_2763.jpeg

Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
OK, you all know what a pain the OEM pads are for dust. After 3 years I've had enough.

Next Oil Change I need to swap my pads. What are you guys using? No track days, so looking for recommendations on good, quiet, durable pads.

I have a few ideas, but figured I'd ask the brain trust...... And of course, feel free to add your OIl Go to :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:
Powerstop Z26. I've been running them for two years and they're excellent for street and probably autocross if you're just having fun. You'll get a little dust initially for a day or two after breaking them in per instructions and that's about it.
Screenshot_20230926_181538_Gallery.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Z23 is the same brake compound as the Z26. The difference is the shim on the back. The 26 uses a stainless shim.

People who think the Z23 or 26 have equal initial bite as the stock pads don't have very good car feel.

Last edited:

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
@K4fxd I couldn't find any spec sheet on their website. can you point me to where you saw they use the compound?

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Powerstop Z26 Pads and rotors are great. Little to no dust and the rotors look good.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I couldn't find any spec sheet on their website. can you point me to where you saw they use the compound?
It's on there. I'll look for it sometime soon.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I was mistaken it is the Z23 that has the same pad formula but uses rubber backed shims.

So Sorry I'll edit my post.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
People who think the Z23 or 26 have equal initial bite as the stock pads don't have very good car feel.
Some of us don't like head banging when just grazing the pad. What matters is the feel 2 seconds in.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I used to think I liked the strong initial bite of the OEM pads, but after installing Z23s I realized that not only do I not miss it at all, but quite the contrary, I love the feel of the Z23 and wouldn't go back to OEM for anything in the world. The brakes are so much smoother now, more linear, more predictable. That boosted initial bite appeals to the average Joe because it gives him the sensation that his brakes are extremely strong (which I also fell for, I confess), but it's actually unpleasant and tiring at times. I used to touch the pedal very carefully, very lightly, with the tip of my toes in order to brake smoothly, whereas now a smooth brake doesn't require a conscious effort anymore, it just happens naturally. I love it. I'm never going back.

Regarding their bed-in procedure, I followed it to a T and didn't have any issues. They work absolutely great now. As powerful as OEM, more linear and better feeling than OEM, more silent than OEM. Lovely. :inlove:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bulldog9

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I used to think I liked the strong initial bite of the OEM pads, but after installing Z23s I realized that not only do I not miss it at all, but quite the contrary, I love the feel of the Z23 and wouldn't go back to OEM for anything in the world. The brakes are so much smoother now, more linear, more predictable. That boosted initial bite appeals to the average Joe because it gives him the sensation that his brakes are extremely strong (which I also fell for, I confess), but it's actually unpleasant and tiring at times. I used to touch the pedal very carefully, very lightly, with the tip of my toes in order to brake smoothly, whereas now a smooth brake doesn't require a conscious effort anymore, it just happens naturally. I love it. I'm never going back.

Regarding their bed-in procedure, I followed it to a T and didn't have any issues. They work absolutely great now. As powerful as OEM, more linear and better feeling than OEM, more silent than OEM. Lovely. :inlove:
I may go with the Z23's from what you write. I prefer the German approach to brake systems. The harder you push the more you get. I find the initial bite to be unnecessary, and would welcome a more progressive pad AND less Dust. I'll be doing it in the Spring with the oil, diff and trans fluid drain & fills.
Sponsored