Sponsored

Loose transmission tone ring nut?

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Wondering if a loose transmission output shaft tone ring nut is causing my 2016 to drop revs when on the highway and mash the accelerator pedal. Cruising along at say 4000 rpm and mash the gas without downshifting the revs immediately go up to 5000 but then drop back down before the car finally takes off. I found TSB 19-2135 which talks about a loose tone ring nut causing hesitation without throwing any codes, but it also mentions cruise control not working. I am not having any cruise control problems and not getting any warning messages like "service drivetrain". Anybody else experience this? It seems that once it gathers its bustle it accelerates linearly and strong.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Sounds to me you need to get the car checked out under the TSB.

The cruise control Section of the TSB has a ‘may not work’ clause. It doesn’t say the TSB doesn’t apply if the CC is working.

Good luck :like:

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if a loose transmission output shaft tone ring nut is causing my 2016 to drop revs when on the highway and mash the accelerator pedal. Cruising along at say 4000 rpm and mash the gas without downshifting the revs immediately go up to 5000 but then drop back down before the car finally takes off. I found TSB 19-2135 which talks about a loose tone ring nut causing hesitation without throwing any codes, but it also mentions cruise control not working. I am not having any cruise control problems and not getting any warning messages like "service drivetrain". Anybody else experience this? It seems that once it gathers its bustle it accelerates linearly and strong.
The only thing linking your engine to your drivetrain is the clutch. It is the only thing that will slip and cause the issue you describe (provided the engine is actually revving). In the early stages, it will begin to slip easier in the higher gears (4-6 for instance).

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Agree with madweazl .Sounds like your clutch is going bad.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Sponsored

OP
OP
Musclecar

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The only thing linking your engine to your drivetrain is the clutch. It is the only thing that will slip and cause the issue you describe (provided the engine is actually revving). In the early stages, it will begin to slip easier in the higher gears (4-6 for instance).
My initial thought was clutch or pressure plate but then I saw the TSB. I tried the 4th gear start clutch test and engine immediately died so that is inconclusive. 16,000 miles on car. Looking to see if anyone who went in for this TSB had similar symptoms. From reading through the TSB it looks like an improper signal can be sent to the computer and the throttle drops out.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My initial thought was clutch or pressure plate but then I saw the TSB. I tried the 4th gear start clutch test and engine immediately died so that is inconclusive. 16,000 miles on car. Looking to see if anyone who went in for this TSB had similar symptoms. From reading through the TSB it looks like an improper signal can be sent to the computer and the throttle drops out.
Your description is that in 4th gear, you can hit the gas and the engine will rev up 1000rpm with no additional force being applied to the wheels, correct? The only place that energy can go is the clutch. It sounds like some sort of torque management is being applied after that if the rpm drops again (usually it will just keep climbing once the clutch is slipping).

OP
OP
Musclecar

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Your description is that in 4th gear, you can hit the gas and the engine will rev up 1000rpm with no additional force being applied to the wheels, correct? The only place that energy can go is the clutch. It sounds like some sort of torque management is being applied after that if the rpm drops again (usually it will just keep climbing once the clutch is slipping).
No its more like pulling out to pas and hitting the gas the revs go up and the car starts to takeoff but then the bottom drops out and loose revs and speed before then kicking back in and car accelerates with the revs.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No its more like pulling out to pas and hitting the gas the revs go up and the car starts to takeoff but then the bottom drops out and loose revs and speed before then kicking back in and car accelerates with the revs.
Ah, ok. No clue on that then.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Musclecar

Musclecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I had that exact same problem. Hesitations with bursts of revs during freeway cruising speeds but my cruise control would still be functional. It turned out to be the output shaft but was loose. I tighten it to 105 ft/lb with thread lock and the problem was gone.
7A87A6B2-5890-4953-943A-F8EDCF41530F.jpeg
Thanks for the input and photo. The car's still under warranty so I'll take it in and mention the TSB.

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had that exact same problem. Hesitations with bursts of revs during freeway cruising speeds but my cruise control would still be functional. It turned out to be the output shaft but was loose. I tighten it to 105 ft/lb with thread lock and the problem was gone.
How loose was your output shaft? Was it loose enough that you could feel it with your hands or only when you put a wrench on it?

Slidingsidewayz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
17 gt350
How loose was your output shaft? Was it loose enough that you could feel it with your hands or only when you put a wrench on it?
It was loose enough to spin it with a socket by hand. I was surprised to see how loose it was with only 15k miles on the odometer.

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It was loose enough to spin it with a socket by hand. I was surprised to see how loose it was with only 15k miles on the odometer.
It turns out mine was the same way. I've been chasing a problem and thought it could be it. Turns out it wasn't but I'm glad I caught it anyway. I put mine back together with a little blue Loctite.
Sponsored