Looking to Make the Jump t a S550 GT Premium - Need Some Advice

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
you're gonna need a bottle of SPF and nomex underwear. :)
Everyone keeps saying how much they don’t like the MT-82 D4. Compared to the Tremec in my ‘89 Mustang GT it’s pretty awesome.

From what I’ve read on here during my extended lurking, I could do some suspension and wheel upgrades to make highway on ramps a bit more fun.

I subscribe to the theory that Busch Light is an excellent beer as long as you don’t drink anything better. The GT has been way better than Busch Light for me thus far. :crackup:
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Soon everything will be electric and there will be no aftermarket unless you buy a stupid firmware upgrade.
not to worry. There will be plenty of ads in the back of Car & Passenger magazine for $50 12v fans that can turbo-cool your battery pack, and serve double-duty in your see-thru gaming computer rig.

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121
Not sure if your live nearby in Texas but if your looking for new vs used I think this place may cut you a deal. They have had this car sitting on the lot for 3 months now: Tomball Ford Mustang GT premium but it’s missing the B&O system as well as the performance package from your list.

Sounds like you did all the right research and know what you want though! Personally I went with the Mach 1 since it checked off all the boxes I wanted.

OP
OP

gater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3
Not sure if your live nearby in Texas but if your looking for new vs used I think this place may cut you a deal. They have had this car sitting on the lot for 3 months now: Tomball Ford Mustang GT premium but it’s missing the B&O system as well as the performance package from your list.

Sounds like you did all the right research and know what you want though! Personally I went with the Mach 1 since it checked off all the boxes I wanted.
I looked at the Mach 1 too and would love one but once i option it up it a little more than I want to spend!

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
These are very personal choices, and you should make yours according to your own goals, budget, warranty concerns, whether or not you like wrenching on it (or paying someone to), how you plan to drive it, etc. You'll get a wide variety of opinions from forum members. Personally, I'm very happy with my setup (see my sig) and I wouldn't change anything if I was ordering another one, but you have to make your own choices based on what will work best for you.

Sponsored

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase

Another one by me in TX as well. At Rockwall Ford just east of Dallas. I saw it personally and it’s very good condition. It has an aftermarket large screen radio in it to from what I could see the window.

5E2FB23A-8A8D-433C-9DA0-B39D80621027.jpeg

7FE0BD48-DFF1-4866-89EC-E5DA547E9B76.jpeg

Outlawtorn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Just get every option going....Couldnt imagine not having variable exhaust...Love it! I didnt get magnaride, instead got Roush coil overs.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I’m a big fan of the spare wheel, the premium floor liners, and the enhanced security package. I don’t want to wait on a flat tow, have to stress about the crap my kids drag in the car, or worry about someone stealing my catalytic converter.

Mine was a leftover 2020 GT with 401A and pretty much every option other than Magneride and the performance pack. It came with 3.55 gears (manual). Why do people think these gears aren’t something you want?

The car is a hoot to drive for me, but I guess I’m not an aficionado who knows all things GT/350/500 and beyond…
I invested in a set of those premium floor liners. I thought I was being slick when I sold the car with those still in it and kept the factory red accented cloth mats for whatever reason. They were great and I wish I kept them for the next car. Also, the 401A premium loaded with 355s is a dam fine automobile. Mine is an auto. It's a good time every time.

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
Skip the upgraded audio. My 2013 with the Shaker system sounds so much better. I'd suggest aftermarket. The adjustable exhaust is awesome.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Id skip out on the audio & the active exhaust. I have both on mine. I honestly dont listen to loud music when I have a nice exhaust sound going on. But imo its not worth the $1k. I should of saved that $ & put it towards an after market one. If I could get it to stay in sport/track mode loudness at all times it would be ok.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
No active exhaust needed.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
You have a lot of wonderful options available to you. One I think you could consider avoiding is the upgraded sound system, for two reasons: 1) you're about to lay out a lot of money on a new car. The money spent on audio upgrades could be spent on other, less easy to change items (like Magnaride, gearing, black out package, etc). 2) Audio electronics, like electronics in general and computers are constantly evolving. You'll find something that will suit your needs in the aftermarket, easy.

Best Wishes in what you choose.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Op, I didn't see whether you are buying auto or manual. So, after owning 7 S550s, here is my opinion. Now I am 66 years old so I likely have a different take on things than someone a generation or so younger.

The Mach 1 was by far the best S550 I have owned. The Tremec is significantly better than the Getrag manual trans. The GT500 components work perfectly with the chassis without sacrificing ride quality. If you have the $, do the M1. You can get the M1 with the auto as well, but this is the only Mustang with a Tremec and all the goodies to track the car. Really a refined automobile. Excellent daily driver. If you heavily option a manual GT premium you are only a few thousand away from a M1. Once this far, do the M1.

Manual gearing on either is similar, though the M1's 5th is 1:1 unlike the Getrags 2 overdrive gears. The gearing is way too long in the transmission. And, be aware that if you buy a stick and you do not get the performance pack, you will get a 3:55 axle ratio which really makes the gearing long. If 1/4 mile times matter, the manual is significantly slower than the 10R80 auto.

The 401A package in my opinion is a must. This gives you the digital dash, seat and mirror memory buttons and now NAV. Resale is almost as good as msrp if selling within a few years. My understanding is that adaptive cruise is now part of the 401A as well. It is optioned I believe on the standard premium (leather seats, larger screen, etc.). The premium is a must in my opinion.

With the M1 adaptive cruise is not available because of the front facia where the sensors go. But is available on the PP stick or auto. Adaptive cruise is a personal thing, but like lots of stuff like that, you get spoiled especially in traffic where poor drivers vary their speed.

Active exhaust is very nice because of the quiet mode. The standard exhaust is too loud all the time for me. If you FI the car with active exhaust the sound is simply superb.

I agree that the upgraded stereo isn't much. I wouldn't put an aftermarket stereo in, but I get that the sound system isn't nearly as good as the stereo in my daughter's 2012 Escape! Take that for what it is worth.

MagneRide is a must if you do the PP. It truly mitigates some of the crummy roads out there and handles very good without knocking your fillings out.

If summary, if you do the stick, not M1, the PP is a must if for only the gearing. But you can option it very well and get MagneRide, active exhaust, etc.
If auto, the 3.15:1 stock axle is still fast. Very fast. 3.55 gear option or with pp, gives more acceleration, but also more wheelspin. The pp is necessary if you want MagneRide, though.

Let us know which Mustang you decide on. There are no wrong choices with the S550!

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Get what you want the way you like it and can afford. No option or trim package is a must. A base car will still be a blast to drive as a fully loaded one is with slight variations. (Unless you go mach1 or above)

As for Premium packages check both out and pick the one best for you. You can add almost everything between the two except the digital dash and that can be had aftermarket anyways. I actually went 400a over 401a as Im not big on digital dashes and I prefer the look of the door inserts and seat stitch better on the 400a.
Sponsored