Sponsored

Looking for rec on compressor and tools

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How do you like that flooring? I’m in the process of building a new garage and have considered this type of floor, but I’ve heard a rolling floor jack or roller stool can dig in.
I like it. It's got it's pro's and con's. Any floor you go with is going to have that. Highly suggest you make a list of priorities before you decide between this or flat tiles. I'd be glad to help with that. Yes, a regular floor jack can be a challenge. I ended up with a QuickJack I use for almost everything anymore, so not that much of a factor anymore. But jacking on the free flow tiles is a learning curve, unfortunately.
Sponsored

TENTEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 350 GT R
I also have the M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator. It’s been a life saver. Use it all the time for slow leaks in my side by side. Had a screw in my RF SC2 that went to 7lbs. Filled it up and it held. Threw the compressor in the trunk with no reservations about getting to the shop.

tex929rr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have a big belt drive compressor in my shop like this one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...rtable-belt-drive-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005. They are quite a bit quieter than most oil less compressors. I recently replaced the compressor in my garage with a small HF unit - it’s about as loud as a refrigerator when running and fills the tank in a minute. It’s also portable so convenient for running nail guns.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gal...-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64592.html

I also highly endorse garagejournal - just beware if you are a serious DIY guy you may not leave for months.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I have a big belt drive compressor in my shop like this one: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...rtable-belt-drive-air-compressor?cm_vc=-10005. They are quite a bit quieter than most oil less compressors. I recently replaced the compressor in my garage with a small HF unit - it’s about as loud as a refrigerator when running and fills the tank in a minute. It’s also portable so convenient for running nail guns.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gal...-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64592.html

I also highly endorse garagejournal - just beware if you are a serious DIY guy you may not leave for months.
I had never heard of garage journal until @Cobra Jet mentioned it. . . . and damn him for doing that!! You’re absolutely right though, I spent 5 hours poking around the forum after discovering it. Seems like an amazing resource.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I had never heard of garage journal until @Cobra Jet mentioned it. . . . and damn him for doing that!! You’re absolutely right though, I spent 5 hours poking around the forum after discovering it. Seems like an amazing resource.

Ugh...I love/hate that place like any other forum, LOL. I spent daaayyysss over there trying to decide on a stupid set of impact sockets (to accompany my new M18 impact, yes). I've been over there for a couple years. I don't do much but lurk though. But it is a solid resource for sure. Just search and read til your eyeballs hurt.

tex929rr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ugh...I love/hate that place like any other forum, LOL. I spent daaayyysss over there trying to decide on a stupid set of impact sockets (to accompany my new M18 impact, yes). I've been over there for a couple years. I don't do much but lurk though. But it is a solid resource for sure. Just search and read til your eyeballs hurt.
i was on a thread there recently about 1/4 inch spinner drives. When I went to look i my tool chest I had one that I bought on a recommendation from another thread that I had totally forgotten about.

There are long term threads there like “show us your vise” that have been going on for years. I started a thread on motorcycle garages in 2009 that is still going on.

OP
OP

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
1611109257451.jpeg

So I picked up one of these Craftsman V20 portable inflators. I works off off battery, cig lighter, or 110 outlet. The plastic and switches feel a little cheap, but I tried it out and it tops car tires pretty quickly. Today I got four truck tires (for 1500 size pickup) on rims that had been in storage for a long time. They had gone down to around 12 psi. I inflated each one running of off 110 outlet, and each one took about 10-12 minutes.

*also You have to buy a separate battery and charger for this unit which costs more than the inflator.

So I am guessing I will still want / need a compressor, but this thing def has its use. Certain things about this inflator are annoying, like you have to keep pushing the + over and over to incr PSI, you cannot just hold the + down and have it scroll up in pressure. I wash my Motorcycle and use my MetroVac vacuum as a blower. It works pretty well but I def think compressed air from a tank would work way better.

I appreciate the input, and will def invest in the Milwaukee impact Gun.
Sponsored