Sponsored

Looking for feedback on removing the strut tower brace.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've made up my mind to go FI. I am trying to decide between Procharger and Whipple.

I'd probably go with Whipple but I can't wrap my mind around taking the strut tower brace off the car.

On my '97 Cobra removing the brace was a big step back. Lots of cowl shake.
I am hearing that it's not that big of a deal on these cars.

Anyone that removed the brace have feedback? I mean I know that I can take it off an cruise around for a bit, but I am thinking more long term

Thanks!
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The STB is one of those "every little bit helps" type components, but I don't think you'll see a major difference on an S550 chassis. You could always add the K-brake from the Perf Package to tighten things up a bit.

I know for the previous generation, some companies like Steeda make a Whipple/Roush STB, maybe one of the aftermarket S550 options will work.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The STB is one of those "every little bit helps" type components, but I don't think you'll see a major difference on an S550 chassis. You could always add the K-brake from the Perf Package to tighten things up a bit.

I know for the previous generation, some companies like Steeda make a Whipple/Roush STB, maybe one of the aftermarket S550 options will work.
Great info, thanks. I haven't seen an aftermarket STB that works with a PD blower yet for our cars, but I am on he lookout. Might even fab something up!

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
I've made up my mind to go FI. I am trying to decide between Procharger and Whipple.

I'd probably go with Whipple but I can't wrap my mind around taking the strut tower brace off the car.

On my '97 Cobra removing the brace was a big step back. Lots of cowl shake.
I am hearing that it's not that big of a deal on these cars.

Anyone that removed the brace have feedback? I mean I know that I can take it off an cruise around for a bit, but I am thinking more long term

Thanks!
you might want to get a hold of [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION]
he had a roush SC installed on the vert that he had.

:cheers:

Kayva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the Roush Supercharger on my 2015 Convertible and I honestly hated the idea of removing the brace. After driving around with the Supercharger I quickly forgot all about the brace. I am sure there is a difference without it, but I really can't tell.

Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
you might want to get a hold of [MENTION=17459]altjx[/MENTION]
he had a roush SC installed on the vert that he had.

:cheers:
That's a god idea. I had forgotten he had a vert, (and a gorgeous one to boot) since he bought the GT350. :thumbsup:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I have the Roush Supercharger on my 2015 Convertible and I honestly hated the idea of removing the brace. After driving around with the Supercharger I quickly forgot all about the brace. I am sure there is a difference without it, but I really can't tell.
Here's an idea I am considering in the future. Steeds makes 2 braces that fit under the front chassis of the car that stiffen it up.

The simpler one is just 1 bar that connect 2 lower braces. I like it...and the price.

The more complex one looks like a "W" and ties the front together at multiple locations. Heavy duty! There is also another company that makes a similar product that may have slightly better ground clearance for drops.

Thanks

CVCashmere

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
So do you miss the brace at all?
I don't have that car anymore, but I didn't miss it at all. Never even thought about it actually. I actually forgot that I didn't have a brace after going FI in that car until I saw this thread, lol.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The STB is mostly just for looks. The K-brace is where all of the stiffening is at.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You have to cut the k brace when fitting the roush charger, I just fitted one myself on the vert.
Im going to fit the bmr front chassis brace with various upgrades to the back end.
The car feels okay even with half the k brace cut away.
If you fit the whipple you will need to drop the engine mounts to get it to fit under the k brace, I just didnt want to drop that engine. Your choice brotha.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
1) The strut tower brace (the one that traverses across the engine) has relatively minimal affect, especially when not paired with the traingular-shaped cowl brace.

2) If the Whipple allows you to retain the cowl brace that bolts also to the firewall, keep it.

3) If you have to remove both, get a chassis brace for under the car.

4) If you can lower the engine to keep one or both, .5" is okay with the stock driveshaft - no additional NVH (I did this myself). With a single piece driveshaft, get one with a CV joint at the diff... that seems to work best.

Quite frankly, I'm willing to bet you aren't road coursing or auto-x'ing a supercharged Mustang (that would be a handful) so... don't worry about it.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Whipple it is!
Sponsored