Sponsored

Long term engine issues by using Active Exhaust?

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
Hello,

Looking to install OEM active valve mufflers on my 2019 EcoBoost.

Wondering if the valves opening and closing, thus changing exhaust back-pressure would cause the engine to run lean/rich and do long term harm to my bone stock car.

Long term reliability (don't look at my profile pic) has priority over sound for me but if it has ZERO effect then I will go ahead and do this.

Would changing the setting in the IPC module using Forscan also change the engine tune to compensate for these new mufflers?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nope. Back pressure as far back as the mufflers is basically irrelevant, especially on a turbo car. Won't change a thing as far as the engine is concerned.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Agreed, you run zero risk of damage. If it makes you feel better there's a guy in my neighborhood that runs a completely open down pipe on his and it's still going after four years.... although I wish he would blow it up sick of hearing it lol.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
No. The baffles constantly adjust based on your rev. For example, in quiet mode, the baffles will open as little as needed to avoid choking the engine while remaining as quiet as possible - if you go WOT, the baffles will open almost completely as you reach redline.
The AE uses a technology similar to Magnaride; it’s not an old-school active exhaust with just “open” or “closed” settings on a butterfly valve.

Sponsored

familyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ruby Red
Is your car setup for active exhaust? Is it possible to retro fit active exhaust mufflers to a car that didn't come with them?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You have to be careful with an AE system when it wasn't stock. As mentioned, it's an 'active' system, not an 'open' or closed' one. On a 2.3EB, in closed mode, it might not choke the engine at redline (not sure though). But on a 5.0, it would for sure. That's why the valves open even in quiet mode above certain rpm at WOT (4K, I believe).

And as far as retrofitting a non-AE car to AE, haven't heard of that. It might be possible, but probably prohibitively expensive, especially if the ECU is different. Maybe an expert can chime in on that. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
New Is your car setup for active exhaust? Is it possible to retro fit active exhaust mufflers to a car that didn't come with them?
Well putting the mufflers on is simple. Other than the fact my ford dealer in Canada wants $1200 per piece before tax and in the states they want around 10% less.

I can use FORSCAN to add the controls to my car and since I have a 2019 the ECU has the ports ready just need a harness.

And as far as retrofitting a non-AE car to AE, haven't heard of that. It might be possible, but probably prohibitively expensive, especially if the ECU is different. Maybe an expert can chime in on that. Good luck.
Lots of people have done this to their GT/s haven't found any ecoboost

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Well putting the mufflers on is simple. Other than the fact my ford dealer in Canada wants $1200 per piece before tax and in the states they want around 10% less.

I can use FORSCAN to add the controls to my car and since I have a 2019 the ECU has the ports ready just need a harness.

Lots of people have done this to their GT/s haven't found any ecoboost
I'm unsure if there's a difference, but if there is make sure you're getting the AE that is available on Ecoboosts and not a GT.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
A bit off topic, but a very cool video on how the stock style active exhaust works in real time!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ardy

Ardy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang EcoBoost
A bit off topic, but a very cool video on how the stock style active exhaust works in real time!
Yup, looks like setting up track mode will be pretty simple. Just throw the valves out

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Agreed, you run zero risk of damage. If it makes you feel better there's a guy in my neighborhood that runs a completely open down pipe on his and it's still going after four years.... although I wish he would blow it up sick of hearing it lol.
OMG, I heard that setup once. It was so confusing hearing such a riced up sound come out of a mustang.
Sponsored

Reactions: XS