Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Ford added coolers to all cars for '17 because they realize they messed up on the '16 packaging. How they didn't get it right the first time I can't figure out....it does seem intuitively obvious leaving coolers off this car is a big mistake. I'm not getting into the choice argument....everyone has choice. I knew from the literature that tracking a tech car would cause overheating, so it was never a consideration. Hence, I'm still waiting for my car since the track cars limited.
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
My extra 2 more cents is HPDE tracking the current Base or Tech under an advance or experienced skills level would likely produce overheating concerns... therefore if you fall into at the very least an Intermediate skills level HPDE participant then buying the Track pack or an R is a must IMO. BUT tracking these 2 types of (Tech & Base) cars under a newbie/beginner status and in novice category at moderate speeds w/ occasional track traffic in a limited session (i.e. 30mins or less) should NOT quickly trigger a limp mode result.

Maybe the non-Track/R cars were inadequately tested to at least survive a 20-30mins session HPDE under less than advanced levels or extreme conditions. We're talking about Novice skill levels fellas in a crowded group at a very cool evening. Someone at FP did not exhaust all possibilities or 'thank' outside the box. That's where one of the balls were dropped, IMHO.

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
My extra 2 more cents is HPDE tracking the current Base or Tech under an advance or experienced skills level would likely produce overheating concerns... therefore if you fall into at the very least an Intermediate skills level HPDE participant then buying the Track pack or an R is a must IMO. BUT tracking these 2 types of (Tech & Base) cars under a newbie/beginner status and in novice category at moderate speeds w/ occasional track traffic in a limited session (i.e. 30mins or less) should NOT quickly trigger a limp mode result.

Maybe the non-Track/R cars were inadequately tested to at least survive a 20-30mins session HPDE under less than advanced levels or extreme conditions. We're talking about Novice skill levels fellas in a crowded group at a very cool evening. Someone at FP did not exhaust all possibilities or 'thank' outside the box. That's where one of the balls were dropped, IMHO.
yeah, i'd tend to agree. Even in a HPDE-1 group ( which are almost always chock full and crowded), it happens before the session hits its full 20 mins.

If it was a complete oversight, okay. but let's get this corrected. :-)

wjs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350; Previous: 2017 GT350, 2016 GT350, 2012 BMW 135i
ZK, as always, well said. I differ in one aspect though--or maybe I simply have only 1 brain cell. While I do not think Ford should provide free coolers, I still think there is an answer short of coolers that will allow the car to perform for a single track session, which I see as the objective. I don't believe that corrective action should cost, any more than I believe fixing the current fiasco with the F150 should cost. Having said that, I also realize that is a super long shot, and assuming Ford even develops a solution, they will charge for it. Again, I am not asking for coolers or TP/R-level performance.
What is the current fiasco with the F150 and what resolution is Ford offering?

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This info was posted by Rick "VoodooBOSS" at Track Mustangs Online...

Here's the latest I received today. Ford is very aware of the concerns with the base and tech pack owners that are disappointed that they cannot track their cars for very long. The solution will be complete but you'll need to be patient. I have great confidence that Ford will do this correctly and provide a solution that will solve the overheating issues. My read on this is the kits will be available after July 1st at the earliest.

"1. We are putting together a couple of packages to help. One will be all of the OEM trans parts. The track pack/R trans, lines, heat exchanger, brackets and fasteners. We are looking to offer it at a discount from the price one would have to pay when trying to piece it together at a dealership. It still won’t be cheap. But it will be a good easy fix.

2. Next, we are investigating a package that adds an external electric pump along with modified production plumbing and the production heat exchanger. We have it wired to just a switch that the operator would need to manually control.

We will be testing system number 2 pretty soon to verify function. But it will be quite a while before we can have it in production.

There is also a diff cooler kit based on the production parts with a manual switch in the works that will be tested at the same time. Also likely months from production."

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This info was posted by Rick "VoodooBOSS" at Track Mustangs Online...

Here's the latest I received today. Ford is very aware of the concerns with the base and tech pack owners that are disappointed that they cannot track their cars for very long. The solution will be complete but you'll need to be patient. I have great confidence that Ford will do this correctly and provide a solution that will solve the overheating issues. My read on this is the kits will be available after July 1st at the earliest.

"1. We are putting together a couple of packages to help. One will be all of the OEM trans parts. The track pack/R trans, lines, heat exchanger, brackets and fasteners. We are looking to offer it at a discount from the price one would have to pay when trying to piece it together at a dealership. It still won’t be cheap. But it will be a good easy fix.

2. Next, we are investigating a package that adds an external electric pump along with modified production plumbing and the production heat exchanger. We have it wired to just a switch that the operator would need to manually control.

We will be testing system number 2 pretty soon to verify function. But it will be quite a while before we can have it in production.

There is also a diff cooler kit based on the production parts with a manual switch in the works that will be tested at the same time. Also likely months from production."

Cool, maybe by the time these are available I might want to take my car to the track. Hopefully these wont be too expensive for all us and my savings account will be back to good standings by then, it was worth it for this amazing car though.

On a side note, I guess the track apps on the Tech package cars are just for looks or only for 15min use? j/k #gastofire :lol:

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
yup

pretty much what I have been saying all along, however those with more track experience love to shit on folks that come from different backgrounds. Ford was more that happy to spread blanket statements for the 350 platform with zero caveats in many, many prominent locations and media outlets.

I love the car however I believe I will work like hell to secure a 2017 just to have a OEM representation that is capable. I love grabber blue, but I also love my orange. Is it sick to want two?

By generically stating that the GT350 is a street legal all day track car; then Ford is talking about a requirement for ALL versions of the GT350.

-------------------------------------------------
2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package, ETA 10 March (Bremerhaven, Germany), under MSRP

Sponsored

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Cool, maybe by the time these are available I might want to take my car to the track. Hopefully these wont be too expensive for all us and my savings account will be back to good standings by then, it was worth it for this amazing car though.

On a side note, I guess the track apps on the Tech package cars are just for looks or only for 15min use? j/k #gastofire :lol:
Keep in mind going to the track is about a $1,000 per day habit - so save extra for brakes/tires/fluids, track fees and all the variables that come along. Glad you all will have the option of installing the Track Pack/R goodies soon enough.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
This was just posted in the Orders sticky. If true, its a pretty direct statement from Ford awknoledging something is wrong.

My build week is the week of April 04, 2016.

Supposed to be a few weeks ago; however, my dealer had mentioned to me today that he had a note from Ford that mentioned something along the lines of 'if you want to change all your orders to Track Packs we can continue building, but if not, we are pausing the tech pack builds'.

This was in response to my question 'Why hasn't my car been built and whether or not he has heard anything from Ford with respects to 'limp mode'.

He told me that Ford has stopped building tech cars for a few weeks. He wasn't sure what that meant though...but again, mentioned that they had offered up quicker builds if he would switch his orders to Track Packs...

Take that for what you will...I mostly read that my car will be build in a month...

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
This was just posted in the Orders sticky. If true, its a pretty direct statement from Ford awknoledging something is wrong.
Well rats, my car was supposed to go into production March 7 and be completed between 27 March and 3 April. If they ask me at this point to change to track pack to stay on time, then so be it. I hope No more delays.

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
Well rats, my car was supposed to go into production March 7 and be completed between 27 March and 3 April. If they ask me at this point to change to track pack to stay on time, then so be it. I hope No more delays.
I would take it with a grain of salt until it has been confirmed by numerous sources.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Well i can confirm that they haven't stopped building base cars as mine was built Monday and has a ETA of April 4th.
Sponsored