Sponsored

Lets Talk DSS Install

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
After 10+ weeks, driveshaft is here. It seems like a no-brainer on the surface, but I'd rather talk it outloud than assume anything. The shaft didn't come with any instructions, but the new DSS shafts have the correct flange for the pinion, thus there's no adaptors or anything like that. With that in mind, it should be a straight forward install. There's also no alignment marks on the shaft anywhere, of the likes I've seen on the QA1 and some others. Common sense would dictate if the shaft is balanced and installed with the yolk and pinion in their currently aligned positions, there shouldn't be any issues (in theory). What say ye? Anything worth discussing or going over here?

tempImageAhkM1c.png

tempImageyQphtB.png

tempImagetjB2C7.png

tempImageSMuVdR.png
Sponsored

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What is the weight on this I have the qa1 I'm about to install

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No published weights on their website so I'll have to weigh it when I get a chance.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Thing of beauty. Waiting to here how much of a difference it makes.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thing of beauty. Waiting to here how much of a difference it makes.
There's quite a few posts and some solid feedback from guys that are running the QA1. I'm guessing performance/feel, there should be zero difference between the two brands. But I am expecting good things.

Sponsored

REVolutionist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT 350 R w/Black & Red Stripes
I have the QA1. And although similar I would say they are still different in specs.

The throttle response is immensely improved. And NVH increase is minimal. If you are performing this upgrade you should go in understanding that it is a performance based upgrade and the compromise is a minute change in NVH.

As far as install, pretty straight forward. The only tricky part is getting the torque on the bolts that sink up the the transmission. Be patient, the more room under the car the better the install will go.

I would highly suggest having some sort of marker or paint pen to identify how you bolt your DSS up and if the harmonics seem off then you have a reference to clock it from and don't have to play a guessing game.

Here are some pics of mine

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@REVolutionist great tips man, thanks! Agree with all. Yeah, the QA1 is niicceeee, fo sho. And truth be told, would have been my preferred choice. But for the reasons I went with the DSS, it was a no brainer (I can share those if anyone cared). Iā€™m sure there are some subtle differences between the two (weight and quality/manufacturing come to mind), but Iā€™d argue no one in a million years would be able to identify the two while driving each blindfolded, LOL.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And, as anyone would be, I hope I don't have to deal with any balance/vibe/indexing issues. All things being equal, and assuming the shaft is well balanced, I plan on keeping both ends in their current position when connecting this shaft. Guess that'll either work or it wont.

REVolutionist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT 350 R w/Black & Red Stripes
And, as anyone would be, I hope I don't have to deal with any balance/vibe/indexing issues. All things being equal, and assuming the shaft is well balanced, I plan on keeping both ends in their current position when connecting this shaft. Guess that'll either work or it wont.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I was fortunate and she was smooth out the gate. Biggest place i noticed the NVH change was my rear view mirror has a slight vibration that can make the images in the reflection a little 'fuzzy'.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Itā€™s in. Pretty darn straight forward job. There's no index marks or anything like that, nor for the life of me can I think of a reason there should be on a round, balanced shaft. I did make an attempt to keep the tranny tail shaft and the axle yoke oriented to the factory position, but the way the bolt holes were configured on the driveshaft, it would not allow for this. It ended up about 20* off from matching, but I honestly don't see what it would matter.

Both ends fit and bolted up just like stock; don't know what else can really be said.

A couple of things to clarify that I had randomly run across on my homework about the DSS...

- Parking brake cable; didn't need to touch it. Not even close to being in the way or needing any attention.
- MGW shifter. Not even close. Even with the MGW heat padding wrapped around the shifter, I could still touch my fingers together reaching around each side of the driveshaft at the tightest point. I think at some point in time, the diameter of the DSS was bigger than it is now.

Yes, there is a slight change in NVH. But slight. I honestly don't think it's a change in vibration as much as I think it's just the feeling that comes with having such a direct connection between the driveline. It is most certainly nothing I am going to try and chase by rotating the attachment or anything like that. And certainly not worth dropping the exhaust again to rotate it.

In exchange for the increased "feel" (I'll use that word instead of vibration), comes that instantaneous throttle response folks mention. It's an immediate connection.

An improvement? Yes. Worth the cost? I think so. Especially for the Black Friday price I paid for this thing. And it just looks damn cool...when you're under the car, LOL.

(Yes, I swapped out my ShifTeck x-pipe for a BLine x-pipe at the same time).

B5F5C658-C42C-4C59-AF04-56651F86AAAB.jpeg

tempImageHFQwgt.png

C8768202-C114-4237-BBE4-9920CF0F52A8.jpeg

tempImagezJAuT6.png

tempImageVSjizl.png

tempImagextvCdO.png

tempImagerABCdE.png
Sponsored